Author Topic: micklewright family  (Read 5953 times)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: micklewright family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 January 13 08:41 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see, Julia and Eliza's surname is spelled both as NICHOLLS and NICKLESS at different times.  Spelling was less standard than now, and different officials may simply have written it in different ways.  (I doubt a particular spelling was linked to the Wesleyan denomination - more likely to the incumbent at that time, but I may be wrong!)

Illegitimate children frequently listed a father on their marriage cert for the sake of appearances, and as Julia married Thomas when Eliza Ellen was very young, she probably considered him as her father.

As I mentioned above, there doesn't seem to be a birth registration for Eliza under the surname MICKLEWRIGHT, but the one as NICHOLLS seems a good possibility, and matches the baptism in Ludford.  If she was illegitimate, it almost certainly won't name her father.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madeley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 January 13 20:44 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see, Julia and Eliza's surname is spelled both as NICHOLLS and NICKLESS at different times.  Spelling was less standard than now, and different officials may simply have written it in different ways.  (I doubt a particular spelling was linked to the Wesleyan denomination - more likely to the incumbent at that time, but I may be wrong!)

Illegitimate children frequently listed a father on their marriage cert for the sake of appearances, and as Julia married Thomas when Eliza Ellen was very young, she probably considered him as her father.

As I mentioned above, there doesn't seem to be a birth registration for Eliza under the surname MICKLEWRIGHT, but the one as NICHOLLS seems a good possibility, and matches the baptism in Ludford.  If she was illegitimate, it almost certainly won't name her father.

Rambler

Ropers hill Madeley wood was renamed around 100 years ago, it is now Newbridge road after the then new free bridge. Most of the houses that were on Ropers hill/Newbridge road were pulled down in the sixties. Nickless is a fairly commen name locally Broseley/Ironbridge/Madeley/Dawley. I have Nickless from 1890s Lincoln hill Ironbridge in my family. 

Offline foxyloxy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 September 16 01:53 BST (UK) »
I now have a birth certificate for e
Eliza Ellen (Micklewright) her mother is listed as Julia Nicholls and her father as Henry Colley coal miner. She was born 1st August 1871. So now I have another mystery as I can't find anything for Henry Colley or Julia Nicholls parents. So Eliza Ellen was my great grandmother and I am wanting to trace back to her family. Her daughter was Joyce Martha Banks, I have a lot on the Banks side but struggling with Joyce's mothers side.