Author Topic: Joseph C Foster - River boat gambler  (Read 2786 times)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Joseph C Foster - River boat gambler
« on: Wednesday 09 January 13 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I know you all love a mystery ;)  and you have helped me in the past.
A dear old lady here in the UK has asked me if I can find out anything about a man who was called uncle Joe by her granmother Frederica Barrett born 1863 Pensylvania.  She has a silver plate like a luggage nameplate with the name Joseph C Foster, there's a diamond ring also, and the story she was told is that Uncle Joe was a riverboat gambler who met an untimely death, possibly something due to his gambling and mixing with the wrong people, no date sorry.
What else is known - He fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War, and somehow married a nurse who was with the Union army, so it sounds to me like he was wounded and captured and treated by this nurse (name unknown)  He may have met her after the war of course, but the story makes a point about them being on different sides so seems to point to them meeting because of the war.
For him to have known Frederica he must have moved North to Pensylvania, I imagine there were riverboats on rivers in the North not just on the Mississippi.  Also to be Frederica's uncle he must have been born about 1840?  As I said her surname was Barrett, her mothers maiden name was Rutledge (born Ireland and often spelt wrongly)  the Barrett's may also have come from Ireland, but Foster sounds more of an English name? if he wasn't born in the US.
I'll thank you in advance for anything you can offer that I can tell my friend.  Cheers Fred

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph C Foster - River boat gambler
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 19:59 GMT (UK) »
In case it helps with any clues for those who are looking, the previous thread that mentions Frederica & family is here - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,536747.0.html

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Shelley

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 13 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Any other clues to the Foster - Rutledge - Barrett connection?

Date: Tuesday, October 12, 1897      Paper: Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA)   Volume: 137   Issue: 104   Page: 6 
Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 13 15:44 GMT (UK) »
On the same ship the Rutledge's came over on there is a "Christ Foster" male age 20 from Ireland listed as a "sailor" on the same page as the Rutledge family.  Is it possible his complete name is Joseph "C" Foster?  Maybe the Rutledge's met him on the ship or he was a cousin?

1847 September ship's name Saranak Philadelphia Passenger List

Mary Rutledge age 30  all from Ireland
Ellen Rutledge age 12
Frederica Rutledge age 9
Nancy Rutledge age 7
George Rutledge age 5
Alick Rutledge age 3
William Rutledge age 10 months

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 13 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I must be honest I never expected anyone to find anything, I looked at Confederate soldiers named Joseph Foster there weren't that many, but there was no middle name initial to narrow things down.  But you found the marriage, I assumed they didn't marry, plus a newspaper cutting, and a very likely link to Joe Foster.  I know for a fact that this took more than 5 minutes of your time, so thank you so much.  My friends mother, Frederica's grand-daughter, is a lovely and lively 84 year old and filling in these stories for her means so much.  Cheers Fred

Back again....because of what you found I went back and checked census etc and it looks likely he was Christopher Foster, his father looks like being John, but his granfather is probably Joseph Foster who married Margaret Carr, so these families were linked more than a 100 years before. 

Christopher Foster may have used a middle name, or was known by his grandfathers name.  This isn't odd in the UK, I'm known to 90% of people by my fathers name, my father was often known by his grandfathers name.  It starts as a pet name and often sticks.  He was slightly younger than the ships list 17 or 18 and not 20.  Any marriage or census, army enlistment, death, etc may be for a Christopher Foster not Joseph, and he could have been an uncle to both Frederica and her husband Christopher Carr if he married a Rutledge?  cheers again Fred

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Sunday, March 23, 1884  Paper: New York Herald (New York, NY)  Issue: 17380  Page: 11

If this is indeed your Joseph C. Foster, then he was involved in the killing of a very well known Civil War veteran, gunslinger, city Marshall of Austin and Texas Ranger among other things.

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I think you've done it again...... ;D
I'll have a look again at the US 1880 census and try and find family.
this story about a gambler of that exact name being killed in some kind of gunfight?  It has to be him doesn't it.

This family have all sorts of links, a dutch artist, wealthy industrialists, wealthy clergyman, plantation owners in the West Indies, majors and generals. One was General Findlay Young who led the British Forces into the First World War, and was the first general to die in 1914.  Plus of course this link to the US and family who did well in Philidelphia and New York.
Amazing that we are digging up the past like this, you finding the best bits, cheers again Fred

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 January 13 20:12 GMT (UK) »
This might have his burial in a plot with an Ida Ellen Foster:  http://files.usgwarchives.net/tx/bexar/cemeteries/citycem2.txt