Author Topic: Joseph C Foster - River boat gambler  (Read 2784 times)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph C Foster - River boat gambler
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes Shelley the link I found between the Carr and Foster families in the UK looks like being wrong.  It looks likely that Joe married a Rutledge, there was a sister Ellen who came to the US from Ireland in 1847 and the age is right too, but you might pick up on the date this Ellen gives for arrival in the USA 1862.   But I would have been lost without your help. 
cheers Fred in cold and snowy Gloucestershire

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph C Foster - River boat gambler
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hello I'm back.  You guys helped so much when I started this thread, I keep looking but cannot find the marriage of Joseph C Foster to Ida Ellen ????  For anyone taking an interest in this Ida Ellen became the wife of gambler Joe Foster, the story was that she had been his nurse after he was wounded in the Civil War, there were no children and on her death certificate it says father not known, there were no relatives to offer such details, no date of birth just age 81.

BUT somehow a silver name plate Joseph C Foster plus a ring he once owned ends up here in the UK with a story passed down from Frederica Barrett of Philadelphia, the story being that "Uncle Joe" was a gambler who died after a gunfight in San Antonio, TX, he was co-owner of the New Vaudeville Theatre. Ida Ellen was left $150,000 (1884) according to newspapers when widowed. To be a true uncle of Frederica he had to be married to one of Frederica's parents sisters. I have no idea about sisters of father William Rutledge, but her mother Mary born Ireland had a sister Ellen (mentioned in my last post) she is not named Ida Ellen in ships immigration list or census, and yes by age given she was born 1835?  Fosters widow always named as Ida Ellen died in 1918 at age 81 which gives a date of birth as 1837, it seems to fit doesn't it.

So questions for you - if Ellen and Ida Ellen are the same person would there be a record of a nurse of that name, Joe was captured when wounded so she was with Union troops.   They were both about 30 when the war ended, so where did they marry?  Of course they might not have married?  Were her family based in Philadelphia would thay have been involved?  When Joe Foster died she was 50 and wealthy, did she travel to Philedelphia to see family or them visit her?  But somehow the ring and name plate belonging to Joe Foster ended up in the UK.  Frederica married in 1897 and moved to the UK, I have found just one trip back to the US in 1919, a year after Ida Ellen's  death, was this where she was given the ring and name plate?  But if somebody was in touch with Ida Ellen why were so few details on her death certificate, who inherited Ida Ellen's wealth?

Thank's for taking the time to read this, don't kill yourself searching.  I think this must be the most likely account.  Joe Foster was a wealthy guy, there are photo's of those who died in the gunfight but not of Joe Foster, he was well known in San Antonio was he camera shy?  Cheers Fred