Author Topic: Ferry Rd & Fore Close  (Read 4651 times)

Offline hallturner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ferry Rd & Fore Close
« on: Thursday 10 January 13 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to work out where Ferry Rd & Fore Close were in the 1930's. Have found my Dads family living there, but they no longer exist. Thanks.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ferry Rd & Fore Close
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 13 16:32 GMT (UK) »
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline heymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 13 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Both these roads no longer exist as the old fisher peoples homes were demolished to make harbour space for the oil industry. The part of South Esplanade East mentioned in the post by IsobelH has long gone too. I don't have the information to hand but I think Ferry Road was in line with Mansfield Road(still there) and carried on to the water. Fore Close(or Chase) was parallel to Ferry Road. All of course in Torry, Aberdeen. I've found a picture of Fore Chase, found if you scroll to near the bottom of the page of http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/TorryOld.htm
Brian
Strachan,Wood,Leiper,Craig,King,Smith,Shearer,Reid,Wilson,Galloway,Buthlay,McLean.
Aberdeen,Slains,Nigg, Findon,Portlethen,Monquhitter,Cumineston,Banff,Oldmeldrum

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 13 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of the 1957-58 Aberdeen Post Office Directory and they are described in it as follows:

Ferry Road, from 127 and 129 Sinclair Road to South Esplanade East

Fore Close, from Sinclair Road to South Esplanade East

Offline hallturner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 13 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, what a result. Whats really weird is that in the picture of Fore Chase the door is number 3 and thats where my Dad was living in 1939! Thanks everyone for the quick response. :) Dave

Offline patrober

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 August 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, what a result. Whats really weird is that in the picture of Fore Chase the door is number 3 and thats where my Dad was living in 1939! Thanks everyone for the quick response. :) Dave

Hi there - do you think that "Fore Chase" is a typo for "Fore Close"?

Also, more interestingly - I have family staying at "3 Fore Close" at that time as well! Same family or unbelievably crowded? Is your family Adam/Adams?

Pat

Offline patrober

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 August 17 13:30 BST (UK) »

Spoke to my mum about the flat at 3 Fore Close. She had visited it when she was a child to visit her grandmother. Said it was pretty run down, only 2 rooms. Outside toilet underneath the stairs, a shared sink between 2 flats at the top of the stairs!

Offline Morvenwalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 August 17 21:29 BST (UK) »

Spoke to my mum about the flat at 3 Fore Close. She had visited it when she was a child to visit her grandmother. Said it was pretty run down, only 2 rooms. Outside toilet underneath the stairs, a shared sink between 2 flats at the top of the stairs!

Offline Morvenwalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 August 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
My mother in law came from Ferry Road. Her family name was Gray. I used to stay with a great aunt there. I believe she had been there since the 1920's. She was one of the last to leave when the street was demolished. She lived on the ground floor in two rooms. You went out of the front door, and up the street  to access the Back area  where the toilets ,washouse and drying green was situated.