Author Topic: ALEXANDER FREEMAN's FAMILY - GOURDON  (Read 6509 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
ALEXANDER FREEMAN's FAMILY - GOURDON
« on: Thursday 10 January 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching the FREEMANs of GOURDON & JOHNSHAVEN
Earlier I posted this question:
Alexander FREEMAN b. 1691 baptised BERVIE 30:8:1691. 
Bervie OPR lists him as FISHER in GOURDON.
Between 1713 and 1728 he fathered six children, five boys and one daughter.
The Clerk who registered the Bervie all the baptisms in this period never once records the name of the mother of any family.
Searching for Alexander's marriage in Scotlandspeople from Kinneff to St Cyrus found only one possibility:
Alexander m. Elspet CORMAK in Kinneff & Caterline in 1725.
The problem with this marriage is the date.  If correct it is far too late to legitimise for all but the last child born 1728. The OPR lists  them all as 'lawful'.
This week I thought I had a complete break-through here, see clip from the Bervie OPR of May 1730 recording the  birth of a seventh child and the tragic circumstances of Alexander's death.

The OPR clip goes on to list the names of the other eight Gourdon fisherman who were lost along with Alexander:
Simon Gibson : David Fatt : Alexander Gowan : William Gowan – David Jeammmie :
Alexander Jeammie : Robert Welsh : William Gowan
The GREAT STORM of 1703 is well documented but I have found nothing on the 1730 event.

I'm hoping the book of Gourdon History - 1700 to 1800 by ARC Simpson, which I have ordered from by A&NESFHS, will throw some further light on the subject.
Can anyone elaborate further on this storm of 1730.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: ALEXANDER FREEMAN's FAMILY - GOURDON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 15:02 GMT (UK) »
.... I'm hoping the book of Gourdon History - 1700 to 1800 by ARC Simpson, which I have ordered from by A&NESFHS, will throw some further light on the subject.
Can anyone elaborate further on this storm of 1730.

Andrew Simpsons book is a very interesting and informative read but it hasn't taken me much further with this question than the detail of the OPR clip above.
It does say that the 'Great Storm of Wind' left many widows and orphans among the fishers from Mathers in the south to Cowie in the north.  In Gourdon the kirk support some of the widows for 24 years afterwards.  There has to be more detail in the Session records of St Cyrus, Benholm and Bervie regarding this tragic event.
Looks like it will take a trip to the Scotlands People Centre in Edinburgh if I'm to get much further with this line of enquiry.
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 July 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
I'm still researching this FREEMAN family and have made some advances.
This update may assist others researching associated lines.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 July 13 19:55 BST (UK) »
Direct Descent