Author Topic: Bromley in Llanfyllin 1881  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bromley in Llanfyllin 1881
« on: Friday 11 January 13 18:57 GMT (UK) »
There was a family living in Church Street Llanfyllin in the 1881 census. The father was Samuel Bromley aged 47 with children Sarah (18), Catherine (10), Richard (7) and Miriam (3). There does not appear to be a wife.

I cannot find any of them in the 1891 or 1901 census. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could track down what happened to them please. Of course Sarah and Catherine may have married but  Miriam and Richard and maybe Samuel should show up somewhere.

We are actually searching for a John Bromley born in about 1883 in Llanfyllin who does not appear in the 1901 census and only appears in 1911 when married but mis-spelled as Bromly. He is the father of our Grandmother Katie Bromley who appears in 1911 census records as Thatie Bromly. We hope that if we can track down, say, Miriam in 1891 that the record will show John too.

Any help to track them down would be very much appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bromley in Llanfyllin 1881
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 13 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome

Samuel was a widower in 1881 so unless he re-married between 1881-1883 he cannot be John's father

Do you have a copy of John's marriage cert showing his fathers name and occupation

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 13 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Samuel's first wife died in 1874

There is no marriage in Llanfyllin for Samuel between 1874-1881 so I am puzzled how Miriam can be Samuel's daughter as she was born c 1877/8

I wonder if she is the illegitimate daughter of one of the older daughters.  The 1871 shows a daughter Miriam aged 11 who married in 1885 to either David Passant or Robert Evans
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 13 19:29 GMT (UK) »
You will find Samuel in 1891 incorrectly indexed as Branley - no John in household

RG12 Piece 4601 Folio 107 Page 34

Your best way forward is via John's marriage cert

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 13 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks Carole.

Thanks for taking the time to read our post and to reply with such great info, even if it does not further our cause. At least we can rule Samuel's family out now. We have been trying to do as much armchair research as possible before venturing out so we haven't got to actual certificates yet. We are on a budget so we only have the lowest membership at the Genealogist which doesn't allow us to look at detailed 1911 info. I guess we are going to have to get out and about and maybe dig a bit deeper into our pockets to find where our John Bromley was born, and hence find his parents in the 1901 census.

Thanks again for your help though. We are loving even just what information we have found from census records. In another branch of the family we have found a rural bus driver in 1901, which i assume must have been some later sort of stage coach! Sorry, are we getting over enthusiastic. ;)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 13 00:26 GMT (UK) »
are we getting over enthusiastic

Every member of RC is just as enthusiastic so welcome to the very addictive hobby of family history.

Be warned though - the addiction gets much worse as you find more info!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

I've just seen this thread and I'm wondering if he might have been born a little earlier than you say:

Burgedin Cottage, Guilsfield, Llanfyllin
RG11/5498/41/16

Mary Bromley, wid, 60
Elizabeth, d, unm, 25
John, grdson, 8 mths
All born Montgomeryshire

Penyvoel, Carreghofa, Llanfyllin
RG12/4600/40/12

Francis Jones, 35, general labourer, b. Arddleen, Mont
Elizabeth, wife, 36, b. Porthywaen, Shrops
John Bromley, stepson, 10, b. Burgedin, Mont
George Bromley, stepson, 7, b. do
Mary Jones, dau, 3, b, do
Elizabeth Jones, dau, 1, b. do

Penyfoel, Carreghofa, Llanfyllin
RG13/5204/44/14

Francis Jones, 38, railway platelayer r, b.Llandrinio, Mont
Elizabeth, wife, 41, b. Porthywaen, Shrops
John T Bromley, stepson, 21, Stone Quarry Labourer b. Guilsfield, Mont
Mary Jones, dau, 13, 1b, do
Mary E(?Elizabeth) Jones, dau, 10, b. do
Robert F Jones, son, 9, b. Llanymynech
Fanny Jones, dau, 7, b. do
Rose J Jones, dau, 4, b. do

Added - Baptism of brother George -  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KC1L-LWJ

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Newwriter  :)

I know that it was a few days ago since your request but I see that you've been on since I posted - do you think thsat this could be him?

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brevitas,

I did read your message earlier. Sorry but I was too busy then to post a lengthy reply straight away. I feel slightly embarrassed but after further research we managed to come to the same conclusion as you last weekend. I am fairly sure that they are the right people, although we had not found brother George's baptism, thank you.

I am really sorry that I did not think to mention on this link that I had found them. But I am really grateful for your help. We are going to order a birth certificate for John to see if a father is mentioned but it doesn't look promising does it. This will be our first trip into the real world of family history. Up until now we have only used census and marriage data available on line.

Having got to Elizabeth and Mary in 1881 I then managed to find them at the same place in 1871, shown as Bromby instead of Bromley but still with no husband shown for Mary. I can find no sign of Elizabeth in 1861 although she would have been 4 or 5. However there is a Mary Bromley aged 38 (within a year or so) in 1861 and born in Guilsfield who was visiting a house in Arscott in Shropshire. It describes her as a farmer's daughter rather than someone's wife, and if it was the right Mary, where was Elizabeth?

I guess we might have to track down Elizabeth's birth certificate too in order to find her father and her mother's maiden name. I'm not sure what to do about finding Elizabeth in the 1861 census.

I did manage to find a Mary Bromley in 1851 noted as part of the Montgomeryshire census but actually living in Aston Rogers near Worthen in Shropshire. She was 29 so about the right age and married to a Joseph Bromley. However they also appear in the 1871 census when our Mary was in Burgedin so I can rule them out. I cannot find another suitable Mary Bromley in 1851.

As I said, I am really grateful for your help and your interest. Everyone here is so kind and helpful. I am embarrassed at not thinking to let everyone know that we had got past that problem. I will learn from that mistake.

Thanks again.

Tony