Author Topic: Edward Driscoll  (Read 3645 times)

Offline tay1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Driscoll
« on: Monday 14 January 13 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi looking for any info on an Edward Driscoll was born in Ireland??? but his death date is 25 september 1903 was married to someone called Mary they had a few children 1 being Edward Driscoll who married Emma E Hardy in 1894.  Would like help on info of when Edward Driscoll was born if indeed Ireland also any info on his son Edward as I cannot find a death cert for him but I do know he died on a merchant ship between 1912 and 1920 and is buried somewhere in the USA.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Driscoll
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Where was Edward Driscoll living before he died in 1903? have you found him in any census records? (they should list at least country of birth if not in Ireland)

Edward junior married 1894- where? when was he born? any records on him to give place of birth and age?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tay1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 13 17:31 GMT (UK) »
the info i have is edward junior born in 1869 st luke london, 1881 and 1891 st mary cray, kent in july 1894 married emme e hardy in bromley, 1901 residence in west ham clerkenwell, his youngest child Alice C Driscoll was born in 1912 have been told he died on a merchant ship after that but I am unable to find him anywhere after that....

His father Edward driscoll the info i have are that in 1881 he lived 9 Fulcher sq and died in 6 Bellefield Terrace, Orpington, Bromley, Kent, England (occupation at time of death Boot & Shoe Maker-Master) is written on his death certificate x thank you for your help

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 13 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Starting with Edward jr- his birth certificate will list mother's name which should help find parents' marriage. Their marriage certificate (whether in England or Ireland) should list fathers' names and occupations.

1871 census lists parents Edward and Mary born Ireland with several other children born at various locations-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQH9-JMP

Both Edward and Mary Ann born in Ireland before the start of civil registration so there will be no birth certificates. To find church records in Ireland you'll need to know a location to start searching (parish if not actual townland not just county).

In 1891 Edward and Mary are listed as born Shoreditch, London but in 1901 birthplaces again as Ireland.

Offline tay1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 January 13 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes all the info tallies up with what I already have, will need to send off for birth certs for edward senior am unsure in what area of cork he came from  :(

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 January 13 20:53 GMT (UK) »
will need to send off for birth certs for edward senior am unsure in what area of cork he came from  :(

I've already explained that civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I found Mary Ann (nee Hegarty) in 1911 census with a birthplace of Cork but why do you think Edward Sr was also from Cork?
I couldn't find them in the 1871 census thought they would have been either in Battersea
daughter Ellen b Jan 1870 in 50 Greek Street Battersea Wandsworth Surrey
or Barking Essex,
daughter Mary Ann b 1871/2

I haven't found their marriage either so that may have happened in Cork prior to 1869.
I've looked in the Irish registers with no luck.

That's news about Edward Jr dying on a merchant ship. Where does that come from?

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline tay1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi apparently the merchant ship was something the family all used to talk about I havent been able to find any info on that though as yet

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi This could be Edward Driscolls marriage. A long shot would need checking,but both Irish surnames

Edward Driscoll to Mary Ragan 1866    Dartford Kent.volume 2a    page 373.   Jan/March

Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk