Author Topic: 1901 Census lookup Govan  (Read 5963 times)

Offline Satchwell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 Census lookup Govan
« on: Tuesday 15 January 13 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please check the 1901 census for me.    I am trying to see if James Rae who died 17/11/1909, aged 75, at 152 Longlands/Langlands Road, Govan is related to my husbands family.  On his death certificate it says his parent's were Thomas Rae, boot & shoe maker & Jane Elliot (both deceased) & he was a widower having been married twice.  1st wife Mary Watam  2nd wife Susanna Buchanan or Duke.  His daughter Agnes Jane Davis of 976 Govan Road, Govan, was present at his death.   My husbands great grandfather James Stewart Rae was living at 151 Langlands Road in 1913 & 1914 & when his daughter was married in 1919 he was living at 152 Langlands Road.    Is there a longlands & a langlands Road, in Govan?  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census lookup Govan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Satchwell

Looks like Langlands Road, Govan was very heavily built up (tenements most likely?). Just over 1,900 people show as living at 'Langlands Road' in 1901 - a lot!

But, in spite of the number, can't see 152 coming up on a search, frustrating! Nor can I see a James Rae in his age group on that street. Do you know when his second wife Susanna died or whre James Rae was born?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 09:48 GMT (UK) »
First wife for James I think should be Mary Watson (rather than Watam). From what I can see generally around:

James born in Ireland. Age in censuses doesn't necessarily match his age at death (by more than just a few years  ::)). From aged 75 in 1909, born c. 1834?

1871:
James Rae 28 Ship Yard Labourer b. Ireland
Mary Rae 21 b. Ireland
William Rae 2 Months b. Glasgow
Thomas Logan 19 boarder
Address: 1 Mair Street, Govan

And 1881:
James Rea 40 Labourer (Boatyard) b. Ireland
Mary Ann Rea 30
William Rea 10
Jane Rea 5
Lizzie Rea 4
Sarah Rea 6 Months
Henry Montgomery 30 boarder
William Watson 22, boarder b. Wigtonshire
Address: 21 James Place, Govan

James must have moved to Langland Street in later years. For 1901, he shows at 35 Fleming St, Govan, with daughters Sarah and Isabella. Not sure where second wife Susan was then.

James and Mary married in 1870. Mary Watson died 1884 at 21 James Place,Govan, aged 33. James remarried Susan Buchanan in 1888. Susan died in 1905.

Some people have James's father as William, not Thomas. First born son is also William so might be worth you double checking this if you need to confirm further.

Monica  :)

Offline Satchwell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 13 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all this info Monica.   I still can't see any family connection.  James Stewart Rae as mentioned in my previous request was living at 9 James Place on the 1891 census.   So they were certainly in the areas over the years.   Rae was a fairly common name so guess that in itself didn't ment much.     I do still wonder if James Rae who died 17/11/1909 may have been living with perhaps a nephew or cousin when he died.   Will need to do further research.   I've rechecked the death certificate & it definately says James father was Thomas Rae, but I guess that too could have been an error by the person giving the info at the time.   You said that James wife Susan died 1905, do you know where she was living when she died?    I will keep digging!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 January 13 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Susan, second wife of James. From what I saw, her death is given as being in 1905 at the Govan Poor House.

You should be able to confirm all the details on SP if you need to check further.

If there is confusion regarding the name of James' father (Thomas v. William), again if you need to be more certain, you could also check either of his two marriage certs. perhaps.

Just for background on the post, is this the James Stewart Rae you are discussing, in 1891:

James Rae 33 Ship Rivetter b. Glasgow
Elizabeth Rae 28 b. Greenock, Renfrewshire
James Rae 9
John Rae 7
Thomas Rae 6
William Rae 2
George Rae 9 Months
Address: 9 James Pl, Govan

Monica

Offline Satchwell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 January 13 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is the James Stewart Rae I refer to.  James Rae aged 9 is my husband's grandfather.
I will certainly check the marriages & thank you for place of death for Susan.  Appreciate your help.

Offline shieldhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 January 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
James Place was part of Langlands Road. Sometimes addresses were given by the name of the row of tenements. It ran between Harmony Row and Helen Street.

Offline Satchwell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 January 13 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks shieldhall for this info.  Helps build up a picture of where they resided over the years. Certainly all lived within close proximity to one another over the years I've been searching.

Offline Satchwell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 03:17 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to trace this family & wondered if someone could check the 1901 census for me:   
1891 census 9 James Place, Govan, were as mentioned previously
James Rae, head, 33 ship riveter born Glasgow;
Elizabeth -wife 33 born Renfrewshire
James     - son   9   "    Govan, scholar
John            "    7    "        "
Thomas        "   6     "       "
William         "   2     "       "
George         "   9 mths     "

They also had the following children:
Alfred Rae born 25/11/1891 Govan
Elizabeth     "              1894     "
Alfred          "              1897     "