Author Topic: Dr. William Robert Mathews marriage to Jeannetha Susannah Saayman  (Read 2304 times)

Offline JT2011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dr. William Robert Mathews marriage to Jeannetha Susannah Saayman
« on: Tuesday 15 January 13 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am writing from Australia and trying to piece together the life of William Robert Mathews and Jeannetha Saayman before there arrival in Australia.

William Robert Mathews b. 1860 Beechwood Victoria Australia d. 1932 Sydney.
He is on the UK 1891 census as a medical student. After he graduated it is believed he may have travelled to South Africa with the Royal Army Medical Corps as a doctor during the Boer War.  Another story is he may have joined the South African Police force in Rhodesia. However, I have been unable to find evidence for either service from internet websites.

I am also looking for a marraige between Robert and Jeannetha Susannah Saayman b. 23 June 1876 Cape Colony Calitzdorp.........I think. d. 1955 Sydney.

They had three children in South Africa.
Harold b.?
Norah b. ?
Raleigh the youngest was born 1909 at Park and Macdonald Streets Belgravia which I assume may have been the home/practice of Dr. William Robert Mathews.

1913 The ship Afric has Dr. William Robert Mathews and son Raleigh sailing from Cape Town to Melbourne Australia. However, I can't find Jeannetha or the other children on the passenger list.

Later in Australia but not until 1930 Jeannetha is on the electoral rolls living with Dr. WRM.

What I would like to find is the following evidence for Dr. William Robert Mathews:
1. The date he arrived in Africa working either in the RAMC or
2. Private practice details in Johannesburg or elsewhere.
3. Evidence of his marriage to Jeannetha

For Jeannetha
1. I would like to find her on a shipping list so I can ascertain the date she arrived in Australia.
2. Any addresses where she and William may have lived in Johannesburg or elsewhere.

I am grateful for any advice or help. Many thanks.

JT 2011

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. William Robert Mathews marriage to Jeannetha Susannah Saayman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi found this on the NAAIRS database, CRIMINAL CASE. THE STATE VERSUS WILLIAM ROBERT MATHEWS in 1912. Might explain why he left for OZ in 1913. To see the link go to http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm30ddf0?20130115061249318F0806&DN=00000003 If you go to this link it gives you a list of the RAMC staff http://www.angloboerwar.com/name-search no Mathews. No record of him in the BSAP iether go to this link http://www.angloboerwar.com/name-search

Hope this helps Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline JT2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 13 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek

Many thanks for the info. For some reason I can't open the National Archives link you sent me. I am dying to know the content and happy for you to tell me the story or send the info some other way. I will wait for the info before I ask you a few more questions. I really appreciate your help.

Regards

Judy

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 13 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy click on the link again, it opened for me saying existing session timed out, I clicked on RSA, then type first line Wiiliam, second line Robert, third line Mathews then click search, 4 files show up, click on the 1912 one. If you want to order the file let me know, I can give you the address of a company who make copies at reasonable rates.

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline JT2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 13 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek

Thank you for the step by step advice. I had success. I would like to order the file to determine if this person is the William Robert Mathews I am researching.  I would appreciate the company's details who can copy the file for me.

Also can anyone steer me in the right direction to try and find  the marriage of WRM and Jeannetha Susannah Saayman?

Plus are there any early 1900's directories in South Africa where doctors might be listed?

I appreciate the help given so far.

Regards

Judy

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 January 13 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Brisbane to obtain pictures of documents held in the National Archives. Go to http://www.eggsa.org and select Content --> On Line Shop --> order Archive documents.  Once you have selected the currency, select "Enter the Shop" and then select "Archive photos" (in yellow on the blue band) and follow the instructions. They are only able to organise the photographing of documents from the South African Archives at Pretoria (TAB), Bloemfontein (VAB), Pietermaritzburg (NAB) and Durban(TBD). Other archives such as KAB require a researcher to transcribe documents by hand as no copying by camera or photocopying is allowed. Rates are cheap especially if ordering from overseas.

Also can anyone steer me in the right direction to try and find  the marriage of WRM and Jeannetha Susannah Saayman?  Go to this link https://www.familysearch.org/ once open, scroll down to where it says Africa click on it. A number of links are shown for South Africa, from here it is hit and miss unfortunately as you have to view each record individually. I believe you can go to your local Latter Day Saints church and on certain days you can use their facilities. You can also subscribe to Rootsweb, here is the link http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/SOUTH-AFRICA/

Happy hunting Derek

Offline JT2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 January 13 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek

Many thanks for all the helpful info. I have ordered the doc via the online service. Very easy.

My local library has the LDS IGI on microfiche and I have been unable to find the marriage searching that resource plus many on line sites. I have a feeling they were not married. However, I will keep hunting. I appreciate your help.

Judy

Offline brunyowl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 August 16 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,
I am most interested in your genealogy findings re. Dr. W.R. Mathews.  I have also been researching his life.  His sister Jessie Mathews was married to my grandmother's brother, Rev. Thomas Moore Campbell.  We may be able to share notes.  I live in Tasmania. Would love to hear from you.

Gabrielle Morgan. 

Offline JT2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 October 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying. Great to see someone else researching Dr. W.R. Mathews.  I have sent you a personal message with my email address because since my original post I have found loads of information I am happy to share.  I am still looking for their marriage certificate. I look forward to you contacting me.

JT2011