Author Topic: ANDERSON, Castlereagh Area, Belfast  (Read 10655 times)

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
  • Albert John Higginson and Ellen Skillen Currie
    • View Profile
ANDERSON, Castlereagh Area, Belfast
« on: Tuesday 15 January 13 05:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me find a new lead for my grandmother's side of the family tree. Jane Anderson married James Wylie in McQuiston Memorial Presbyterian Church, Belfast in 1894 when she was 19. She was living in the Castlereagh Road area at the time and her father is listed as William Anderson, a grocer.

On further investigation I know Jane's mother was also called Jane as she was living with her daughter and son-in-law on both the 1901 and 1911 census, listed as married in the former and widowed in the latter (presumably her husband died somewhere in the intervening years, though I have been unable to find him on the 1901 census). Jane is buried with her daughter and a granddaughter, Jane Anderson Wylie, who died in infancy, in the Wylie family plot in Belfast.

From there I was able to track back to a birth record of my grandmother being born on 5th March 1875 to William Anderson and Jane Anderson Anderson, so (again presumably) her mother was an Anderson before she married. There does appear to be a wedding record for a William John Anderson, a confectioner, who married a Jane Anderson in 1869 which is a very strong possibility but as of yet unconfirmed. My grandfather James Wylie was also listed as a grocer on his wedding cert and by 1901 is a bread server, so it may have been that their occupations changed with the times.

So, beyond being able to add that my father had a cousin called John Anderson in the States when he travelled across in the 1920's, that is the sum total of my knowledge and I really have no idea where to go from here. I was born when my father was in his sixties so never thought to ask any of these questions before he died but can tell you his brothers had Charles, Waddell and Robert as part of their names which don't seem to come from the Wylie side of the family. The same goes for my father, who was Albert Alexander, neither of which appear in the consistantly repetitive naming of children in that line going right back to the late eighteenth century. I know sometimes names help, sometimes they don't, but thought I would mention it just in case. If anyone can point me in the right direction or offer some advice about what to do next, I would be deeply grateful.

Many thanks,
Trish
Ballinderry, Co. Antrim - Higginson/McCoy
Co. Londonderry - Hammond Higginson
Crevilleyvalley, Ballymena, Co. Antrim - Hanna/Boyle/Kennedy
Boyle, Co. Roscommon - Sloan/McLean
Co. Antrim - William John Sloan/Margaret Kirk
Co. Antrim - Wylie/Anderson
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)
Drumbo, Co. Down - McIlveen from Saint John McIlveen back to Allen McIlveen
Lurgan, Co. Armagh - Armstrong

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ANDERSON, Castlereagh Area, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   In the 1869 marriage the father of William John was Richard and the father of Jane was William.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 09:37 GMT (UK) »
   In the 1869 marriage the father of William John was Richard and the father of Jane was William.
This is more likely to be correct- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGFW-JLL
24 Dec.1865 Belfast William Anderson, son of John, to Jane Anderson, daughter of Richard Anderson

There seem to be several William Anderson/Jane Andersons having children in Belfast area at the same time.

May have found a few bits and pieces but haven't finished checking everything yet.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so VERY MUCH! I literally have been banging my head against a wall with this one for two years. You have NO IDEA how lifting it is to think there might be a crack of light at the end of what has been an extremely long tunnel.
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a street number for the Castlereagh Rd. address?

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a street number for the Castlereagh Rd. address?

I'm afraid not. Just Castlereagh Road for the bride and Bloomfield Avenue for the groom. By the 1901 census Jane, her husband,  three sons and Jane's mother are at 20 Windsor Road, not that it probably helps any.  :(

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Still working on this but I think you can forget the 1869 marriage for William John and Jane.

In 1901 directory "Anderson, W. J., confectioner, 155, Cromac Street" http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ccomplete1901_1.htm
1901- census- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Cromac_Street/975332
1910 directory "Anderson, Jane, confectioner, 155 Cromac Street" http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1910ab.htm
1911 census- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Cromac_Street__part_of_/187286
PRONI Will Extracts- Anderson Jane of 155 Cromac Street and of 26 Ormeau Road both in Belfast widow died 7 April 1923 at Ormeau Road Probate Belfast 9 May to Frank Lindsay Anderson laundry manager. Effects £792 19s.

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Still working on this but I think you can forget the 1869 marriage for William John and Jane.

In 1901 directory "Anderson, W. J., confectioner, 155, Cromac Street" http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ccomplete1901_1.htm
1901- census- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Cromac_Street/975332
1910 directory "Anderson, Jane, confectioner, 155 Cromac Street" http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1910ab.htm
1911 census- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Cromac_Street__part_of_/187286
PRONI Will Extracts- Anderson Jane of 155 Cromac Street and of 26 Ormeau Road both in Belfast widow died 7 April 1923 at Ormeau Road Probate Belfast 9 May to Frank Lindsay Anderson laundry manager. Effects £792 19s.

Oh my goodness!  :o How did you get all that so fast?! I've been scouring those directories for months on end! Thank you SO MUCH!!! Am now off to gleefully follow the new lead.  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Lots of practice  :)

Now onto your father-
8 July 1923 "Celtic" arrived N.Y. from Liverpool- Albert Wylie, 23, born Belfast, father J Wylie 59 Edinburgh St., 5'5" fair complexion fair hair blue eyes, going to cousin John Anderson Oakmont Pittsburgh Pennsylvania (641 Albany written in)

19 Aug.1924 "Mauretania" arrived Southampton from N.Y.- Albert Wylie, 23, student, Lisburn Rd. Belfast.

If you start a new topic on U.S. board with the above details someone might be able to find records of the cousin John Anderson. Also, be sure to include a link to this topic.

More Belfast details hopefully to follow....