Author Topic: ANDERSON, Castlereagh Area, Belfast  (Read 10641 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ANDERSON, Castlereagh Area, Belfast
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean Matthew (1868) and David (1869)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
  • Albert John Higginson and Ellen Skillen Currie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean Matthew (1868) and David (1869)?

That's them! Not entirely convinced though. There's also an unnamed male Anderson to the same parents in Comber in Feb 1865 (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5PY-Q3P) and if we're running with Jane and William marrying at the end of 1865...

Am wracking my brain for any other snippets I can remember or that might help. I know when it comes to a possible Waddell connection we did have a Presbyterian minister in the family but that was one of my dad's older brothers. There was also talk of an Uncle he would visit 'down the country' towards Omagh but that's even more vague so I think I'll stay well clear of that one.

You really have been AMAZING with all this information Aghadowey. I can't thank you enough!
Ballinderry, Co. Antrim - Higginson/McCoy
Co. Londonderry - Hammond Higginson
Crevilleyvalley, Ballymena, Co. Antrim - Hanna/Boyle/Kennedy
Boyle, Co. Roscommon - Sloan/McLean
Co. Antrim - William John Sloan/Margaret Kirk
Co. Antrim - Wylie/Anderson
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)
Drumbo, Co. Down - McIlveen from Saint John McIlveen back to Allen McIlveen
Lurgan, Co. Armagh - Armstrong

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Samuel James Wylie went to Canada- would there be any family out there that might have heard stories, have photographs, etc.?

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Samuel James Wylie went to Canada- would there be any family out there that might have heard stories, have photographs, etc.?

That's the Presbyterian minister. He came home and died in Whiteabbey, I believe. I had a much older cousin Robin who had the grim task of doing the rounds when one of the family died but it's been a good 20 years since I've seen or heard from him. It's part of the difficulty of being the youngest of a generation, I'm afraid. By the time we were arriving most of my cousins were grown ups with children of their own.

Looking back at your Waddell info (I'm still playing catch-up ;) ) it's interesting that if they named another of their sons after a well known minister they managed to pick one name from each side (Anderson/Waddell) for the same child; Robert Waddell Wylie.  Can you tell I'm determined to find a link there?
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Re: Waddells- would make sense that eldest son names Robert Anderson after maternal grandfather. 'Henry Cooke' is not an uncommon name for a little Presbytericn boy in the 1800s.

Will have a hoke about for that Matthew and David- no point in starting any housework today  ;D

Offline wadgram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 March 13 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I have justcome across this correspondence, and am a member of the Waddell family with strong connections to Ballygowan and Ouley.  Interesting that your Andersons have connections to both places too.

Anderson is a common name. Reverend Robert Anderson of Banbridge was not from a County Down family but from Andersons of Inch, Co Londonderry.  His daughter, Mary, married my greatgrandfather. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 March 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Anderson is a common name. Reverend Robert Anderson of Banbridge was not from a County Down family but from Andersons of Inch, Co Londonderry.  His daughter, Mary, married my greatgrandfather. 

Inch is in Co. Donegal (not far from Co.Londonderry border)- Robert Anderson of Banbridge (Scarva St.) was licensed 1829 Letterkenny, became minister of Scarva Street the new church was being built c1830 and remained there until his death in 1872.

Offline wadgram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 March 13 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I know quite a bit about Andersons of Inch and also the Waddells but always happy to learn more, esp. before 1800.

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all!

And sorry for the long LONG gap between posts in this. My life kept getting in the way of my research.

Anyhoo, just to update this line of investigation...

Having got in contact with other family members I now know that James Wylie and his wife, Jane Anderson ran a shop in the main street of Saintfield and inherited the family farm at Tullygarvan, Ballygowan, both presumably coming from the Anderson side of the family. They ran the shop for several years and the farm then came down the line to my father Albert and his youngest brother Matthew (known to the family as Andy) who turned it into a riding school.

From further research into the fabulous hints I got here, I am fairly sure Jane's brother George Anderson and his wife Emily ran the shop before it came to my grandparents. George and Emily don't seem to have had any children. That then begs the question of what happened to David and Matthew Anderson who seem to have disappeared. Same for their sister Margaret.

Further back the strong link to Ougley, Ballygowan remains and I am wondering if this IS the farm in Ballygowan which eventually ended up on my side of the tree.

The biggest problem is still the number of Andersons there and how they all very helpfully inter-married. Richard seems to be a recurring name and there are several of them in the tree with connections to Oughley. I am also convinced there is a Waddell connection and that it may have been an aunt/uncle or cousin who married into that line which in turn prompted my grandmother to name one of her sons Robert Waddell Wylie. Her eldest son may also have been influenced by it when he became a Presbyterian minister. So, while I understand that the Rev. Robert Anderson was from Inch in Co. Donegal, I can't help but wonder if his wife Mary Anderson is the connection there. As mentioned, it was their daughter Mary who married Rev. John Waddell.

All still a bit of a maze basically! But I thought I would pop by with an update :)

MANY THANKS AGAIN to all!