Author Topic: Orphanage/childrens home Ledbury  (Read 6056 times)

Offline jo_46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Orphanage/childrens home Ledbury
« on: Wednesday 16 January 13 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My father was born in Bosbury in 1924 and unfortunately by tha age of six he had lost both his parents. I know that his aunt took him in for a while but eventually he went into a childrens home in Ledbury. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the home e.g where it was in Ledbury.
He was only there for a short time before being sent up North to a home and then eventually spending the remainder of his childhood on the south coast.
Thanks

Offline dylansmother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Orphanage/childrens home Ledbury
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 13 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Could he have been sent to Herefordshire Working Boys' Home  :'(. Here is the link http://www.childrenscottagehomes.org.uk/working_boys_home.html

Offline jo_46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 13 15:22 GMT (UK) »
It's possible that he was sent there as there doesnt look like there was a home in Ledbury. I really wish I had found out more from him before he passed away.
Many thanks
Jo

Offline Heath Clayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
There was also a Boys' Home in Eardisley. My granddad and his brother, who were both born in Ledbury, went there in 1901 after their mother died. I'm not sure whether it was still running in 1924 but I may be able to look this up for you in a book published by the Eardisley History Society.

When in 2005 I enquired about the orphanage to the Herefordshire Record Office, the senior archivist Mr. Rhys Griffith found records of an orphanage that was set up in Eardisley in 1885 by Lady Perry Herrick. However, the attendance records for this no longer exist. He replied to my email as follows:

“According to the Post Office directory for Herefordshire of 1900 there was an orphanage for 14 boys in Eardisley, which had been established in 1885. I have checked the indexes to our holdings but have found no references to the home. It would appear that no records have survived." (However it is listed in census returns).

Eventually Eardisley History Soc. told me that the Boys' Home was opposite the Tram Inn, in what is perhaps the village's oldest and grandest building, now known as The Holme. It was built as a Medieval hall house in the 15th century. In 2007 the owners kindly showed us around the house, and it is interesting to see that the bedroom doors still bear the room numbers that were painted on when it was an orphanage. The house belonged to the Perry-Herrick family, who were lords of the manor, and this is the source of the story handed down through my granddad's side of the family that his education had been paid for by the lady of the manor!
Clayton, Heath, Leath, Pulham, Whatling - East London, Suffolk & Norfolk
Erixon - Dockands and maybe Scandinavia
Rees, Reece - Monmouth, Herefordshire
Weedon - Gloucs, Barnes, Fulham

Offline jo_46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 August 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply. It is such a shame that the records are no longer in existence but it must have been very interesting looking around the house. Knowing that your grandad and your great uncle spent their childhood there and probably played in the grounds.
Although I have heard of Eardisley, I'm not sure how far from Ledbury it is situated.
I will have to have a look on the map.
Dad passed away some years ago and since starting my research there are so many questions I wished I had asked him now. I can just remember him saying that after his mum passed away, he went to live with his aunt but she couldnt cope with him and so she put him in a home in Ledbury. Obviously the orphanage was somewhere else within a reasonable distance of Ledbury.
once again thanks for your help,
Jo

Offline lizzie booth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 August 13 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
My father was born in Bosbury in 1924 and unfortunately by tha age of six he had lost both his parents. I know that his aunt took him in for a while but eventually he went into a childrens home in Ledbury. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the home e.g where it was in Ledbury.
He was only there for a short time before being sent up North to a home and then eventually spending the remainder of his childhood on the south coast.
Thanks
Hayden, Withers, Palmer, Breckenbury, Richardson,

Offline lizzie booth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 August 13 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have only just read your post as I have not been on Roots Chat for a while.
There was an Orphanage in Eastnor, Nr Ledbury, called St Mary's it started in 1900 and closed in 1984.
The home only took in girls when they first opened, but later on also took boys as well.
You may have the information that you require now but thought I would message you anyway.
kind regards.
Elizabeth.
Hayden, Withers, Palmer, Breckenbury, Richardson,

Offline jo_46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
When I was in Ledbury a couple of months ago I was talking to a lady at the museum. She told me about the home at Eastnor. It's quite possible that dad was at this home. I'm not sure whether Eastnor still comes under Herefordshire or Worcestershire and if the records office would hold records for the home.
Thanks once again,
Jo