Author Topic: "Pettingdon" ???  (Read 6601 times)

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Pettingdon" ???
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 June 05 11:13 BST (UK) »
You're welcome, we like a puzzle :)

Just wondered where you got her parents names from and how reliable the source? As there are two possible Anns in the extracted records on the IGI

14 Jan 1795 Doddington To Jervis and Rebbeccah
10 Mar 1797 Doddington to William and Ann

Baptisms for dry doddington aren't there so all I can say for sure is that there were no Harrisons in Dry Doddington 1841 ....
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrissiehope

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 June 05 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

I was given a very basic line of descent for the Welch family, mentioning spouses and some dates. This was given over the phone by an elderly cousin of my husband who had done some research on her own line, and I certainly misheard her once 'cos I put Pecklington and then crossed it out !. Up til now, this has proved to be fairly accurate, but I don't actually know where she got the info from ! I thought I found an Ann Harrison, daughter of Francis Harrison & Frances Fox, but I can't find the printout or the original entry (from online IGI), so I don't know where that came from either !!!

The entries you found both seem to fit better, (I especially fancy the Jervis & Rebbeccah !! Nice unusual names !)

I have a census entry for 1861 Notts, showing the son William & his wife Ann (just to complicate matters !) - he is age 40 then, so presumably should also be on the 1851 Notts. William senior died in 1858 (so he won't be on the 1861), but I wondered if Ann senior was - if you have access to that ?

I have other possible children for William & Ann senior:
Joseph bap 31.8.1826
Frederick bap 21.4.1828 (tho the IGI entry said this one died in 1866, but I found     a  Frederick b Wigsley abt 1831 in the 1881 census !)
Sarah A   b c 1831 (she was a widow living with John, and her widowed sister Catherine in 1881) - any sign of them in 1851/61??

Right, I'll be back later - I've got to go & plant up some hanging baskets - not easy when you can't put any weight on your left foot !!!

Cheers,
Chris
Hindley family (Chesh/NWales), Hope family (Chesh), Sheppard family (London), Carlisle family (London), Welch family (London/Notts).
Abergele town/area esp Chapel St/Post Office Lane 1800-1900

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 June 05 13:23 BST (UK) »
1841 census .. adult ages rounded down to nearest 5 years, Y/N whether born in county or not.

HO107 862 13 4
Wigsley
William Welch 50 farmer y
Ann 40 N
Brian 20 Y (I thought this a strange name but cannot turn it into anything else!)
Robert 15 Y
John 14 Y
Fredrick 13 Y
Sarah 10 Y
Catherine 7 Y

HO107 862 1 4
North Clifton
Charles Welch 72 ag lab Y
Mary 61 N
Mary Spencer 24 N
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 June 05 13:25 BST (UK) »
It IS Brian  :o

Bryan Simpson Welch baptised Thorney 4 April 1819 to William and Ann. I see him in the 1881 born Wigsley (which apparently was a hamlet of Thorney).

I will have a hunt around 1851 for the children as soon as I get chance.

Heather

Offline chrissiehope

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 June 05 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

This is my second attempt at a reply - I must have hit a crucial button whilst typing last time, and the whole computer shut down !

Yes, I had found Bryan's baptism, together with the rest of the male members of the family. Thanks for the info - I wonder if Charles was a father or a brother ! The elderly relative (ER !) said William senios parents were Thomas & Barbara, but I haven't found any sign of them ! A quick search of IGI for William Welch b bet 1780 & 1800 in Notts, gives only one result - bap Apr 1783 son of Thomas & Elizabeth, Shelford; it also says he died in 1832, so clearly not the right one !!

I assume the Mary Spencer is a servant - the surname doesn't ring a bell !

Look forward to further info when you've had a minute !! I've now planted four hanging baskets !!!!

Cheers,
Chris
Hindley family (Chesh/NWales), Hope family (Chesh), Sheppard family (London), Carlisle family (London), Welch family (London/Notts).

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 June 05 20:28 BST (UK) »
Well I'm glad the hanging baskets are coming along. A search of the area so far has only yielded this one ...

HO107 2137 62 14
Middlegate Newark
William Welch head 29 grocer Notts Wigsley
Sarah A wife 20 housekeeper Wigsley
Mary Rimmington ser 49 servant Newark
Henry W Latham asst 17 grocers journeyman Worksop

As for baptisms, the Notts FHS baptism index finds a William Welch baptised at North Clifton to Robt (no mother's name given) 10/09/1787. A further child Robert Bellamy Welch was baptised to Robert and Ann 10/12/1789.

I find a Robert baptised there to William and Mary 11/12/1762. Among his siblings is Charles baptised 05/10/1770. So IF this is your William, then the Charles of 1841 could be an uncle.

I think maybe you need to go back to ER and ask her sources - possibly she has researched parish records and has something we don't have on the indexes :)

Offline chrissiehope

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 June 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Thanks for this info !

I think you could be right - I'll tidy up the info I have & send it to her with a note asking how it matches up with hers & has she got any corrections ! Diplomatic enough ??!

I wish I'd never done those flipping baskets - my back is aching now from twisting sideways all the time !!

Cheers,
Chris