Author Topic: James & Elizabeth Foulis' children  (Read 15342 times)

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James & Elizabeth Foulis' children
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 February 16 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
It is entirely possible that our lines do meet up at some point. May have to go back quite a few generations to figure the connection out though. If there is one to be found.

Blake

Offline Gypsy Scholar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 09:37 BST (UK) »
I am the great *3 grand daughter of Stewart Fouls (female). Her parents were Anne Reid and Olipher Fouls of Papa Westray. Stewart married George Burgar who I think came from Westray. They had 3 children, Margaret was my great*2 grandmother. Stewart died just after the 1841 Census. George remarried to Ann Rendall in 1842.They had two sons George and Thomas. They migrated to South Australia in 1854 on the "Joseph Rowan".
Is there a link to James and Elizabeth?
I am very interested to find out more about Stewart, George and  Ann's families and the link between Westray and Papa Westray and in particular Stewart Fouls (why name a girl Stewart?). Her sister's name is Ann Stewart, and the name is passed down for generations (Son Stewart Foulis Dent, Grand daughter Stewartine). If there is a link to James and Elizabeth who also came to SA this may fill some gaps in the jigsaw for me. Interestingly Stewart and George's son was William Rendall Burgar so there is a Rendall link also.
Dent:Warwickshire
Burgar, Reid, Setter, Hughes/Hughison:Papa Westray  and Westray Orkney
Gorman:Antrim
Cholmeley:Isle of Wight and Hampshire
Daeth/Death: Burton Latimer
Beasley:Warwickshire
Toll:Cornwall
Clark: Devonshire
Scott: Dumfries and Galloway
Mitchell: Tipperary
Sims/Shipman: Wiltshire
Homfray: Worcester

Offline heapsofus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I found your post the other day when I was researching my Foulis side of the family. Stewart Foulis is my Great x4 Grandmother. I also am descended from her daughter Margaret Dent nee Burgar.

Stewart Burgar nee Foulis was born to Olipher Foulis and Ann Reid in 1807. Stewart is an unusual name for a girl, but we found out that Stewart was a twin. Her brother was called Stewart but he died after being born. We think the parents maybe conferred his name onto their daughter.

We aren’t sure why the name Stewart was passed on for generations, but our Nana (Stewart Burgar’s Great x2 Grandaughter) told us that her mother, Margaret’s Great Granddaughter, told her that their family was descended from Sir Patrick Stewart of Orkney. (Not a nice connection, I know :)) Apparently, that’s why back through the family, the name Stewart is used quite often. As for William Rendall Burgar, that might be because (now this is Very far back!) Stewart’s father’s Great Grandfather married an Ursula Rendall.

My Mother and Sister did a lot of the research a few years back; since I have taken it up, I’ve researched Olipher’s paternal side to around 1690 and his maternal side to around 1756. On Ann’s side, I’ve researched her maternal side to around 1720 and her paternal side to around 1680.

George Burgar was born around the same time in Westray/Papa Westray (1807). (Westray and Papa Westray were so close that they were both put on the records.) His parents were Andrew Burgar b, 1773 and Margaret Miller b. around 1776. George had six siblings: (ones I can find anyhow), Benjamin b. 1800, Elizabeth b. 1802, William b. 1805, Henry b. 1810, James b. 1815, and Mary b. 1819. George’s paternal grandparents were, William Burgar b. 1754 and Jacobina Setter b. 1756. William’s parents were David Burgar  and Marion Harcus. Jacobina’s parents were Wiliam Setter and Barbara Hughson. They all lived in the Orkney Isles.

If you would like any more info, just reply!

God Bless.

Offline Gypsy Scholar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 January 17 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heapsof us
Thanks for your reply.
Just wondering which child of Margaret and Agen Dent you are descended from?
I have a lot of this data on my website I think and also, thanks to various sources, much from earlier. I did notice there were two Stewart Foulis baptisms. Were you able to confirm thetwins story?
I have a possible link to the Stewarts but it requires documented evidence. However, I think it would be fair to conclude that most of the Orkney population is descended from the Earls. Where you able to obtain confirmation of the connection?
Dent:Warwickshire
Burgar, Reid, Setter, Hughes/Hughison:Papa Westray  and Westray Orkney
Gorman:Antrim
Cholmeley:Isle of Wight and Hampshire
Daeth/Death: Burton Latimer
Beasley:Warwickshire
Toll:Cornwall
Clark: Devonshire
Scott: Dumfries and Galloway
Mitchell: Tipperary
Sims/Shipman: Wiltshire
Homfray: Worcester