Author Topic: Civilian Death Easter Uprising  (Read 8223 times)

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Civilian Death Easter Uprising
« on: Friday 18 January 13 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for help with regard to death disappearence of John Dickinson in Dublin 1916 presumed to be killed at the Easter uprising He was a colliery manager and was there for work
He was born in 1868 Ince Lancs
I have contacted Grangegorman Cemetery and there is a Dickinson buried there no Christian name
Roscommon have  no records

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian Death Easter Uprising
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 January 13 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the information "disappearence of John Dickinson in Dublin 1916 presumed to be killed at the Easter uprising"?

Do you know where he was in 1911?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 January 13 13:01 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know Grangegorman Cemetery is only for Military - so wouldn't seem very likely place for burial of a civilian.

The only Dickinson burial (on internment.net) I see mentioned is of a H. Dickinson age 22, Private of the S.Staffordshire Regt.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 January 13 13:03 GMT (UK) »
looking through the names it does look like some civilians are included, or possibly from army families - women, children and people a bit  too old to be serving
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 13 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes he was living in Wigan He went to Dublin with his work and never returned He was a colliery Surface manager
He had a wife Margaret Alice and five children

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 January 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the information "disappearence of John Dickinson in Dublin 1916 presumed to be killed at the Easter uprising"?

Do you know where he was in 1911?

Living in Wigan in 1911?

Was the family informed when he went missing or did they just suspect his disappearance linked with events in Dublin?

Dublin city doesn't have any mines but perhaps working outside the city somewhere?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 January 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
May have found a clue- do you have any Wigan addresses for the family early to mid 1900s?

Added- do you know when (even if approx. when) Margaret Alice died?

Offline IrishMedals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 January 13 11:45 GMT (UK) »
The main cemeteries used for those killed in the Rising were Glasnevin, Deansgrange and Mount Jerome. He would only have been buried in Mount Gerome if he was protestant. He does not appear in the search on the Glasnevin website.  Deansgrange and Mount Jerome do not have search facilities on their websites so you would have to contact the cemetery. He may have been buried in Grangegorman but only if he had a strong military connection.

It is unlikely he was buried unidentified. In order for a burial to take place a certificate had to be obtained from the military, it had to be proved that the dead person was who it was claimed they were. Coffins were opened and searched as they entered the cemetery and only one person was allowed to accompany the coffin to the grave site.

It is also very unlikely he is buried anywhere other than Dublin, because of the large number of bodies there was a fear of diseases spreading and burials took place as soon as possible after identification. It is also unlikely he was buried in Dublin and then re-buried somewhere else at a later date, there was a government department called the Sanitation department from whom permission had to be granted before a re-burial could take place, as far as I know only one re-burial took place and that was one of the Rebels Thomas Allen who was buried in Glasnevin and then re-buried in Longwood Moyvally County Meath in 1917.

Offline Colur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 January 13 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

In the section dealing with both military and civilian internments in Deans Grange Cemetery during the 1916 Rising, Jamie Moran’s very well researched book does not show a listing for John Dickinson.
Comiskey,Hatton, Bell, Byrne.