Author Topic: Does anyone recognise brothers: James (b. 1835) and/or Robert (b. 1841) Callear?  (Read 4344 times)

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
  • One day my family history will become Callear!!
    • View Profile
Newbie seeks help  ???

According to the 1841 census,  James (b. 1835) and Robert (b. 1841) are sons of my great-great-great-great-grandfather Solomon Callear.

1841 - Dawley Green, Dawley, Magna
CALLIER, Solomon - M - 25 - 1816 - Shropshire
CALLIER, Elizth - F - 25 - 1816 - Shropshire
CALLIER, James **- M - 5- 1836 - Shropshire
CALLIER, Samuel - M - 3 - 1838 - Shropshire  **My branch**
CALLIER, Robert **- M0 (9 months) - 1841 - Shropshire

I can find Robert in the 1861 census living at High Street Sedgley - but nothing more (a wife but no kids). Did he simply disappear?

I can find James in the 1861 and 1871 census living at Sedgley - albeit with different wives (Martha then Ann)!?! But again nothing more - not even his kids.

Does anyone recognise either name? Looking for any help to sketch out the descendents of these to ancestors.

Thanks in advance (and fingers-crossed!)

Si
Callear/Gallear and a growing list of (mis)spellings

One day my family history will become Callear!!

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognise brothers: James (b. 1835) and/or Robert (b. 1841) Callear?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 January 13 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Do you think it's possible that the surname has changed slightly once in Staffs?

I see some that are likely  but  as G*ll*r.

Maureen

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognise brothers: James (b. 1835) and/or Robert (b. 1841) Callear?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 January 13 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I've tried searching with a few of the regular variants but I can't find anything that fits.

Solomon's surname seems to appear as various spellings (but always with a 'C').

I've hit a slight bottleneck in the I can not trace Solomon backwards (he was born circa 1813 in Sedgley and married an Elizabeth - possibly onions).

I figured if I can not go backwards then I'd explorer a couple of his other children - hence Robert and James. That soon hit a similar bottleneck.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 13 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Depends what you mean by regular variants,I guess! :) :)

I was looking at these sorts of things:

Marriages Sep Qtr 1870   
 Gellear James    Dudley    6c 143    
 MORTIBOYS  Ann   

3006 /37/ 20
Robert GALLIER
Lydia and Thomas Sheldon?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N64Z-JFV

Maureen

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 13 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

Firstly thanks for you're reply.

I've managed to stay true to my surname as far back as Solomon and his children - the surname differs so much at this point.

I have a copy of some microfiches that contain records of christenings and marriages. The entries for Solomon's marriage and the christenings of his three boys all show different surnames:

Callear
Calleer
Callier
Collier

For the first time (remember I'm a newbie) I have to have a keep of faith and not follow hard facts. How confident can I be if surnames do not match or change - maybe that was the norm 200 years ago(?)

I had hoped that by tracing either James or Robert forwards, I could determine whether their descendants are Callears or something different. Like I originally posted, they (along with families) seem to fade away to nothinhg :o(

Another hope was that they had also moved to the Stoke area (like my branch of the tree). There are more Callears currently living around stick whom I can not connect to my branch.

This geneology thing is so addictive!!

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 13 01:10 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)
Addictive is the word!!!

As I said-it really looks to me as though the surname has morphed from a "C" to a "G". Not unusual at all.

Do you have access to Ancestry? Someone seems to have been making notes or changes to some of the entries of people who seem to be "yours". (I can't access them as I use AncestryLibrary which doesn't allow you to view things like that.)

Let's wait until the morning (UK time) and see what develops. ;D ;D

All the best,
Maureen

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 January 13 16:22 GMT (UK) »
On the 1851 census, the surname is spelled GELEER.

HO107/2031/15/22
Dimmocks Lane, Sedgley, Staffordshire

Elizabeth EDWARDS  Head  Wid  57  b. Sedgley
Tabitha EDWARDS  Dau  18  b. Sedgley
Joseph EDWARDS  Son  13  Coal Miner  b. Sedgley
Samuel GELEER  Visitor  11  Coal Miner b. Shropshire
//
Solomon GELEER  Head  37  Coal Miner  b. Tipton
Elizabeth GELEER  Wife  37  b. Shropshire
James GELEER  Son  15  Coal Miner  b. Shropshire
Robert  GELEER  Son  10  Coal Miner  b. Shropshire
Isaac  GELEER  Son  6  b. Shropshire
Mary A GELEER  Dau  5  b. Sedgley
Ann ONIONS  Visitor  M  40  b. Shropshire
Sarah HAIRS  Visitor  M  40  b. Shropshire   (or Harris?)

From FamilySearch https://familysearch.org

Solomon CALLEAR, son of Robert CALLEAR and Mary, was christened in Tipton on 28 June 1812.
Solomon GALLIER was buried in Cosely on 12 October 1879.  (FreeBMD gives his age as 62.)

Robert and Eliza are on later censuses as GALLIER, GLEAR and GALLEAR; their marriage is on FreeBMD as GALEER/GALER. and on West Midlands BMD as GALEER.  This line, at least, seems to have morphed to a spelling with "G".
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 January 13 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Wow - thanks for that - there is plenty to keep me busy!

I have also managed to locate Solomon on the 1821 census for Dawley Magna. Surname is Callier and he is living with his parents Robert and Mary.

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 January 13 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm still struggling to locate James (wife Ann or kids Thomas and Mary Ann) in the 1881 census and beyond!!  ???

Just how liberal do I need to be with the surname?  ::)

There is a strong chance the kids will have left home: Thomas (~22) and Mary Ann (~21).

I am drawing a blank search with the parents name and several spellings on the surname.

For reference, I am using findmypast.com - I do not know how good the 'include variants' search option is - can any comment?