Author Topic: British Romany Genetic Ancestry Project  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Matt Sears

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Romany Genetic Ancestry Project
« on: Saturday 19 January 13 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear Researchers

As part of an ongoing study into surnames and the history of the people of Britain we are actively searching for males with Romany/ Gypsy ancestry. This study is being carried out by the University of Leicester, home of genetic fingerprinting, where we are aiming to look at the history of the British Isles using new DNA techniques.
We are carrying out this work as a research project and thus it is absolutely free for those chosen to take part in the study. Donors who fulfil the research criteria will be sent kit through the post with full instructions, paperwork (i.e. ethical approval). In return for taking part, we will provide you with a summary of the results, designed for the layperson, when it becomes available. In addition to this, at the end of the study we will send you copy of your male inherited Y chromosome genetic fingerprint and an explanation sheet designed for the layperson.

The aim of the study is to investigate the biological origins of Britain's Romany Gypsy community, if you or a relative/friend would like to take part in this unique project you can provide a basic genealogy through your paternal line we would be interested in hearing from you.  Details of the project can be viewed at www.le.ac.uk/diasporas  following link to British Romany Project.  Please do not hesitate to contact me by email should you require any further information.
Please send your details to Matt Sears email : mds21 [-- at --] le.ac.uk or by mail to:
Dr Turi King, British Romany Genetic Ancestry Project, Department of Genetics, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH, UK

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

Offline jaco52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: British Romany Genetic Ancestry Project
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 June 13 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

I come from a large traveler family (the coopers), they are a very big family in which originated in the New Forest, I'm wondering if you have any information on them or other linked families such as the Willett's in which is my great grandmothers maiden name.

I hope you take this into consideration !
Hope you have some information

Thanks

Offline TracyRosina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: British Romany Genetic Ancestry Project
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 May 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
Jaco52 have you got any further with tracing the Willetts?  My James family originated in the New Forest and my grandmothers maiden name was Willett - her family came from Knaphill, Woking

Hello

I come from a large traveler family (the coopers), they are a very big family in which originated in the New Forest, I'm wondering if you have any information on them or other linked families such as the Willett's in which is my great grandmothers maiden name.

I hope you take this into consideration !
Hope you have some information

Thanks