Author Topic: *COMPLETED* MOUNTAIN VIEW CEMETERY (Vancouver BC) headstones photograph request.  (Read 10986 times)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MOUNTAIN VIEW CEMETERY- (Vancouver B.C.) headstones photograph request.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 January 14 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Minnie,

I have emailed the copies.

Ian MacKinnon is elusive... I can't find a death reg. for him, so hopefully there is a headstone with a clue or two on it.  I wonder if he died out of province/country, and his body was shipped to Vancouver.... that's about the only thing I can think of, other than his death registration has been mistranscribed or is just plain missing.

As for the lookups (at least at my library); the only cost is for making a copy to paper, just 50 cents a page, so no big deal.  Not many libraries hold the microfilm though; I'm just lucky enough to live close to one that does, although mine has no newspaper archives.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information about the cost of look ups. We have a similar set up where I live. So if you need anything from New Zealand, do ask as we have many resources we can refer to, except the censuses which have all been destroyed. (On purpose.)  :'(

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Southvancouver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Today, Tuesday January 7, 2014, I visited the Mountainview Cemetery office.  I was able to obtain photo copies of six documents concerning the burials of the following:

- baby MacKinnon
- John McLellan Mackinnon
- Jane McGregor Mackinnon
- Ian MacKinnon
- Mary Swan
- Henry Swan

I have spelled the surname in each case as it appears on the document.  The photo copies are of variable quality and in some case hard to read.  I would be happy to mail these copies to you if you wish but before I do that I think I should go over them and try to decipher some or all the information.  It may be easier for me to do that than for you, as I am more likely to be familiar with local names for streets, etc.  It is a dark rainy day so I did not try to look for grave markers but the cemetery records show that at least one of the people I listed has a grave marker.

The Main Vancouver Library has microfilm copies of many old Vancouver newspapers.  I have looked up newspaper death notices there previously.  It is rather time consuming but can be done.  Usually I have just made a note of the information as the notices are commonly quite short, but, as mentioned, it is possible to make a print-out of the page or part of the page for a small fee.

I have never looked for the actual death registration certificate for someone in British Columbia.  I have contented myself with the basic information in the on-line index to such documents.  However, as noted by another member, in theory, these death certificates should be accessible, in microfilm form, in a few places in BC.  I would be surprised if they contained much more information than is found in the cemetery records I obtained.

It will take me a bit of time but I will start on transcribing the photocopies I obtained today.  I will let you know when I have finished that job.  I will also look for a nice day to examine the actual burial plots in search of any markers that may have been overlooked.  It is the middle of winter so nice days are not too common.

William

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear Southvancouver,

Thank you for the trouble you have gone to. I very much appreciate this.

I can probably cut down on some of the eye strain and research for you in that I do have:

The death registration details for Jane McGregor MACKINNON and Mary SWAN.

I also have the newspaper death notice and obituary for John McLellan MACKINNON.

Also the newspaper death notice and obituary for Mary SWAN. [Poor soul, she was killed in a hit and run accident.]

As Ian MACKINNON was not a name I was expecting to find in this plot, I am now especially interested to find out if he is indeed the son of John and Jane. Born about 1904 in Vancouver.

Bbart has kindly sent me some details in respect of Baby MACKINNON. [Stillborn, female and date of birth/death. Religion of parents.] However, we are left to guess that the parents were in fact Jane and John MACKINNON.

When you mention "grave marker", am I correct in thinking that this could be an actual headstone with an inscription?

Thank you again, so much...........

Minniehaha.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 January 14 03:31 GMT (UK) »
I would like to take this opportunity to especially mention and thank Southvancouver for such sterling work undertaken behind the scenes. Much information has now been found about the families named above, enabling me to "put flesh on bones" and generally build a picture of this Canadian branch of my family.

I have been overwhelmed by such kindness and generosity to me, a complete stranger.

To others who also contributed, thank you too.

Minniehaha. [New Zealand]

Offline Donald Mackinnon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dear minniehaha

I am researching descendants of John McLellan Mackinnon who was a brother of my Great Grandfather and born on Eigg, Scotland in 1863.

So far I have his wife's name and details of sons Charles Donald Grant and Ian Malcolm Grant and Daughter Isabel Mary Grant, plus their spouses and details of Isobel's son John Clapham Dixon. I have Birth and Death dates for all, plus marriage dates for all bar Charles Donald Grant and John Clapham Dixon.

I am looking to find further descendants but have so far hit a brick wall in that respect. I am thinking that you yourself may be a descendant, and I wonder if you can add any information that would aid me to further my Family Tree ?

I live in Gloucestershire England and am joined in this quest by my second Cousin Andrew Mackinnon who lives in Oxford England and is a descendant of Donald Malcolm.

I have as Ian Malcolm Grant's year of Death 1980 if you are still seeking it.

With thanks for any information that you can supply

Donald Mackinnon

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Welcome to Rootschat, Donald!

Minniehaha, here is the link for a marriage of Ian, in case you were still trying to tie him as the son of John:

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/b9940109-d1a0-4937-908b-fc9cf0758878

Offline Donald Mackinnon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you bbart,

that adds month and day to Ian Malcolm Grant Mackinnon's wedding, but I note that the Certificate wrongly allocates his Father John McLellan Mackinnon the name McGregor instead of McLellan - I wonder if that makes the marriage illegal !  ( just kidding)

Cheers

Donald Mackinnon

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello from New Zealand Donald!

Lovely to hear from you. If you put up one more message; just using a  :)  will do, we can then correspond by the personal messaging system.

I'm sure I have information which will be of interest to you.

Thank you bbart. I need to go back through my file now to see just what I do have about his marriage.

Minniehaha.