Author Topic: Peter McClusky/McLuskie  (Read 5839 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Peter McClusky/McLuskie
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 January 13 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Ah, but on the positive side, after all this, you have Mary's baptism. I know what I was like when I found my 3xgrandmother's baptism after soooo long of searching my MacDonalds in the Highlands...I still look at it and go, I got there!

Just as I by and by, and I have mentioned this to Gordon too...

I did try a few days ago to find mother Catherine's death entry in Scotland, just to confirm her maiden name etc and close off a bit better the line in Scotland....but cannot see it  :-\ The only possibility may be a Catherine McLuskey who died a widow/pauper at Barnhill Poor House. No personal details included and age out by some years at 55 in 1872  :-\ But that doesn't feel right.

Picking on the more unusual name of Matilda, the youngest, I think she left Scotland after 1871 (was trying to see if her activity could confirm anything with mother). No marriages/deaths showing for her in Scotland. She shows here I think in 1871:

Matilda McLucky 22, Steam Loom Weaver b. Blantyre
Annie Hendry 28, lodger
Address: High Bushyhill, Cambuslang, Lanarkshire

Then I wondered whether this was her also heading off for the US:

Matilda Mccluskey, 22, Scottish. Left from Glasgow for NY on 23 Jul 1873 on the 'Victoria'

McLuskey with all its variants is a hard name always to follow!

I got stuck again after that  ;D

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thosca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter McClusky/McLuskie
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hello

Not used to Rootschat but hope what I have is of some interest in this post.  Susan McLuskie is my great great grand mother - she was baptized St Andrews RC Church, Glasgow 19 June 1831 and married John McIlheron  at St Mary's RC Church, Hamilton 26 July 1854; had 10 children and between the 1861 and 1871 census the family seem to have changed name from McIlheron to Campbell; in the census reports her name variously McCaskie, McCluskie and married name in the 1861 census Mucklehern in Ancestry search.  She died 02 February 1897 at Southfield Lesmahagow.  One of her children Catherine married John Campbell (my great grandparents) at Blackwood 02 June 1882