Author Topic: Peter McClusky/McLuskie  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Susan713

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter McClusky/McLuskie
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 January 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much for the birth information.  I wonder who the Michael, 20 Aug 1842 is? He's not in the census' He is also the only one who has McKabe as the mother's maiden name.  He was also bpt. the next day, must have d. soon after.  It was interesting to see on Mary, the birth month was the same as she gave in the 1900 census. 

The Crossan would be close to the Connors given in her death record.  Just rechecked her death certificate, sent for that 32 years ago.  Sure is a lot easier doing genealogy today.

Yes, Mary was Roman Catholic.  Both marriages & her funeral were performed by a priest.  It would have been nice if she had given the same age a few times.

Found this on Family Search may be promising and is somewhere in the time frame:
 name: Mary Mccluskey  Female ae 22 estimated birth year: 1841 
   event: Immigration  date: 13 Apr 1863  place: US [Port/Fal ME]
   country of origin or nationality: British   ship: North Am

Yes, I do think it's about time to sign up for Scotlandspeople.   

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 January 13 17:16 GMT (UK) »
When you move on from the dates and events, the history of mining in Scotland is fascinating. A complete history class of social development and industrial history. It is also what will make Mary's Scottish ancestry alive and relevant.

The family's life in Kirkton will have been hard, with substantially poor living conditions most likely. Some links on this for another day:

http://scottishmining.co.uk/10.html
www.sorbie.net/lanarkshire_mining_industry.htm
www.blantyrepast.com/mining.html
www.blantyre.biz/Auld-Blantyre-Mining-History.html

The book: " A Blast from the Past"- by Andrew Paterson will be a good read with lots of insights into the lives of these mining families.

Not surprising that Mary will have left her family for a new life and better conditions you would hope.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susan713

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 January 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »
MonicaL,
Have signed up for Scotlands and tried a couple of searches but can't find the Roman Catholic births and baptisms you sent.  Hope you can tell me what search to do.  I'd really like to see if they say anything for Mary.

I did get a very nice message from GordonD.  Thanks for contacting him for me.  Hope I wrote back correctly and he got my message.  Wasn't sure how to do it.  I am getting old.

Thank you for the mining sites in Blantyre.  It must have been a very hard life at that time.

Susan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 January 13 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

On SP, there are a number of sections for their databases. If you look on the l/h side, you have the following sub-headings:

Statutory Registers  - this will be statutory registrations, post 1855.

Old Parish Registers  - this is for parish entries, mostly Church of Scotland/presbyterian, pre 1855.

Catholic Registers - these are the ones you need. They go before and post 1855. What is there, is what is there. Many registers, both the OPRs and the RC ones, have been lost and destroyed over the years unfortunately.

It is great that Gordon has make contact  :) We exchanged some messages the other day. Currently thinking that Mary's mother, Catherine may have had the maiden name of Crossan (and variants), as we saw indexed on those baptism entries from SP. Gordon mentioned he was concerned about the death cert he had found for a Catherine McLuskey/McCabe in the 1860s and whether it was the right one. One to follow up later perhaps?

Monica  :)

Offline Susan713

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 January 13 17:17 GMT (UK) »
So, are the McLusky's you sent from the index or from the registers themselves?  If they're from the index,  which parish would I search, 100's come up to do them all.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 January 13 17:28 GMT (UK) »
The search results (1 unit) are the index, so this is what I saw to work from and included here.

I searched: Catholic Registers/Births & Baptisms. I input the following for the search:

Surname: M*c*l*sk*
Forename: blank
Father's name: Peter
Mother's name: *ath*r*
Dates: 1/1/1827 to 1/1/1851 - I searched with these dates to maximise the page entries. You can view up to 25 entries for 1 unit on the search results page/index. This search above showed 24 entries. It is from this list, that I found the ones that I transcribed here. Mary's entry is part of this list.

The '*' is the invaluable SP wildcard to pick up on spelling variations.

I haven't viewed any images, just the search results page. To view the actual image from the registers, just click to view on the relevant entry. This costs 5 units. You can save the image on your computer.

Monica

Offline Susan713

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 January 13 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, never would have tried all those wild cards.  I did get the index.

Unfortunately, I sent for the record itself and there is no way the record says McClusky or even close.  It looks like "Peter M Coll & Christine M Mc culla.  The birth and bapt. dates weren't the same as the index had either, it was definately b. 26 May & bpt. 5 Jun.   There was another entry on the index just under this one, they are exactly the same.  Just don't want to waste another 5 credits finding out it's the same thing.

Have done a lot of indexing for Family Search and there is no way it says McClusky.  Very frustrating.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 January 13 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Well that is a pain....just had a look too. We are so close and I understand how much time and effort you have put in with Mary. Growing quite fond of her too now!

Figured out what the problem is. Mary's entry has been mis-indexed, it is on the following page. If you look at the image you have already, the baptisms end on 8 June (naturally this is the date they are entered rather than birth date). Mary's entry is on the next page.

Susan, whenever you have a problem like this, you can contact SP and explain the problem. Understandably (you have paid for an image that you are having a problem viewing in some way or other), they are very quick and efficient at dealing with these problems.

The link shows (I have marked it in bold - 'here') when you have clicked to view and you next get this screen:

Click this link to download the image direct:
MCCLUSKY, MARY (S.C.A. Births MP 62 1 2 4 331-, GLASGOW, ST ANDREW'S)

For help with viewing images click here. If you would like to send a comment to us about the quality or transcription of this image, click here.

Snippet below from the next page with Peter McLuskey and Catherine Crosier (remember we now have this as Catherine's likely maiden name - Like McLuskey, Crossan/Crosier etc will have lots of variations which is alway a bit of pain  :-\).

Offline Susan713

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 January 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you are good.  Hope you aren't spending credits checking on poor Mary.  Guess I should have checked that and  guess the reason the names weren't right was because they weren't the right ones.  Just found the Mary & Peter on the same line.  I did just write to SP and let them know.

Now I see what you get from the CPR, don't think it's worth trying for any more.  There doesn't see to be anything further but the sponsers.  At least it's been a learning experience.  If Mary gives me any more trouble, I may just give her to you.