Author Topic: Sealy Family, County Cork, Ireland  (Read 5529 times)

Offline Frazerworld

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sealy Family, County Cork, Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 October 16 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Apologies and correction to my last post. Richard Sealy's son Edward was my wife's grandfather. Edward served his time in the RIC mostly around Donegal and Leitrim (Richard, great grandfather, also in the RIC served his time mostly in Tipperary and Kilkenny). On retirement Edward and his wife, Annie O'Rourke, ran a guest house in Co Leitrim. In January 1930 he and his eldest son Richard Gordon (Dick) emigrated to the States where his brothers worked in or owned an Iron Foundry in Joliet, Illinoise. His original intention was to bring the rest of his family over when he had settled in. He returned sometime in 1932 in the middle of the Great Depression and died in 1933 in his early fifties. My wife's mother's name was Agnes Patricia Sealy. His relatives in Joliet seemed to have changed the spelling of their name to Seeley.
On the New York passener emigration list, Edward and Richard were listed as going to stay with a Thomas Sealy at Jackson Street, Joliet.

Criostoir1971, we would like to persue any connection with you and your ancestors. It sounds interesting and would love to hear more from you.

Pat

Offline Criostoir1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 October 16 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Apologies and correction to my last post. Richard Sealy's son Edward was my wife's grandfather. Edward served his time in the RIC mostly around Donegal and Leitrim (Richard, great grandfather, also in the RIC served his time mostly in Tipperary and Kilkenny). On retirement Edward and his wife, Annie O'Rourke, ran a guest house in Co Leitrim. In January 1930 he and his eldest son Richard Gordon (Dick) emigrated to the States where his brothers worked in or owned an Iron Foundry in Joliet, Illinoise. His original intention was to bring the rest of his family over when he had settled in. He returned sometime in 1932 in the middle of the Great Depression and died in 1933 in his early fifties. My wife's mother's name was Agnes Patricia Sealy. His relatives in Joliet seemed to have changed the spelling of their name to Seeley.
On the New York passener emigration list, Edward and Richard were listed as going to stay with a Thomas Sealy at Jackson Street, Joliet.

Criostoir1971, we would like to persue any connection with you and your ancestors. It sounds interesting and would love to hear more from you.

Pat

Pat,

Thanks for the reply – my maternal great great grandfather was William Sealy/Seeley, a brother of Edward’s who lived in Joliet. It sounds like Edward and his son Richard were going to stay with Thomas Sealy, Edward’s Irish-born nephew and son of his eldest brother John (b. 1863). Thomas was the only family member in Joliet who retained the Sealy spelling. If you’d like to email me, my email is criostoir1971 at yahoo dot com .

- Chris

Offline BoofieHead

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 July 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Sealy family & researchers! I'm searching for a Mr Sealy (or Seeley) who worked at St Bernards Hospital in London after WWII with his brother, they were nurses or a doctors. They came from an Irish farming family (from Cork we believe but could be elsewhere). Any knowledge or help (or a family tree) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much, Belinda - Australia.

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 08:00 BST (UK) »
A Charlotte Sealy married lawyer Edward Daly in Kinsale, Cork, in 1835 in a Catholic ceremony.  They named two of their sons Ludlow, which was a Sealy of Bandon name.  The godparents to their nine children were very mixed Cath.-Prot.  I met one of those Dalys in a local graveyard (Kilmonoge) in 1985, where the family were buried.  Frank Thompson.