Author Topic: john sessions  (Read 10775 times)

Offline evrlast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: john sessions
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 January 15 19:38 GMT (UK) »
James Clifford was born 30 Oct 1838. Rachel came to Canada with the 3 children and her sister Marion, expecting her lover (possibly the son of Lord Marlborough of Blenheim Palace) to join them the following spring. Instead the stableman of Blenheim, James Haynes was sent in his place with a sum of money for Rachel and a proposal of marriage if she was interested. She accepted and had 3 children with Haynes. These children have his name and the first three kept the name Clifford. It would be great to know if there is any truth to the story.

Offline bobbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 December 22 04:09 GMT (UK) »
The William Clifford, married to Sarah Sessions , born 1781 is my 3g grandfather. I am particularly interested in their son Charles , born 1803, transported to Austraia in 1825 and my 2 g grandfather's  ancestors, especially the Session family of East Hendred  on Sarah 's father's side and her mother's line of Tidcombs
Bob

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 December 22 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Although this entry is old I have some info that may help others in the future;

James Clifford was born 30 Oct 1838. Rachel came to Canada with the 3 children and her sister Marion, expecting her lover (possibly the son of Lord Marlborough of Blenheim Palace) to join them the following spring. Instead the stableman of Blenheim, James Haynes was sent in his place with a sum of money for Rachel and a proposal of marriage if she was interested. She accepted and had 3 children with Haynes. These children have his name and the first three kept the name Clifford. It would be great to know if there is any truth to the story.

It appears to me Rachel married James HAINES before going to the US, so above story very unlikely..

FreeBMD
June 1845, Wantage 6 381
Rachel CLIFFORD and James HAINES on same page
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline evrlast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 December 22 04:13 GMT (UK) »
I have further information that answers most of my previous post. James Haines and Rachel Clifford were married twice in 1845 before coming to Canada: one was probably a Catholic ceremony, since the names on the same search are Mary Ann Eyston and Richard Thomas Gillow. The Catholic  Eystons owned the manor (ie owned everything in the village and surrounding area) where East Hendred is situated and probably insisted on this. Rachel may have been in their employ and lived within walking distance of their house. Rachel's children were born in Wantage Workhouse- this is where poor women went to have children out of wedlock. I ordered birth records for her children James and Mary Ann, and both were born there with the fathers name and rank/profession left blank. Informant: Henry Walker, Master of Wantage Union Workhouse. I assume the second marriage, about the same time, was in an Anglican church.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 December 22 12:05 GMT (UK) »
The Catholic Eystons owned the manor (ie owned everything in the village and surrounding area) where East Hendred is situated

They still do!  ;D
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline evrlast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 December 22 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if DNA will someday solve if Cliffords and Eystons are related.

Offline DoveGroves20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 10:46 BST (UK) »
Appreciate this thread has been quiet for quite sometime but I am a descendant of Anne Clifford and John Wiltshire through their daughter Emma who married John Butler and came to Australia.

Would like to share information and get any information that could be shared with me.