Author Topic: Benjamin Harvey, papermaking pioneer  (Read 5080 times)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Harvey, papermaking pioneer
« on: Tuesday 22 January 13 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the early life of Benjamin Harvey (1787--1861) who came to Haverfordwest in Pembrokeshire in the early years of the 19th century to operate paper mills.He bought an existing mill and converted one of the few cotton mills in Wales to a paper mill.He was at the forefront of mechanised paper making as he installed machinery which had only just been developed.In 1812 new paper making machines were installed at St.Petersburg in Russia for the Tsar .The patent was held by the Fourdrinier brothers who had papermills near Hemel Hempstead.Apparently Benjamin Harvey was involved in this contract shortly before he came to Haverfordwest.He was born at Aston Cantlow in Warwickshire and married Jemima Wilkes at Bidford on Avon in 1808.They had 3 sons Jesse and Job were born at Bidford in 1809 and 1810 resp.and Joshua at Worcester in 1815.The 3 sons were involved in the running of the mills in Haverfordwest but by the 1870s they had given up paper making and 2 of them had become farmers.I am curious to know  how Benjamin H might have become involved in paper making,what he was doing before his trip to Russia and anything else about him.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Harvey, papermaking pioneer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 February 13 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I am still interested in researching the early life of Benjamin Harvey and think that the Frogmore Mill paper museum at Apsley,Hertfordshire might be my best bet.I am planning a visit there but think in the meantime I might contact them to check the likelihood of them having any info on him.I wonder whether he might have been an apprentice there prior to going to St.Petersburg in 1812.He married at Bidford on Avon in 1808 at the age of 21.In 1912 he was only 25 which seems a young age to be supervising such an important project.Perhaps  he only went in some junior role.He must surely have served an apprenticeship at Frogmore as there were not that many paper mills.Maybe he had some other relevant experience.It would be interesting to know his fathers occupation.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 13 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been going through my copy of "The Endless Web" the story of John Dickinson & Co paper mills by Joan Evans his great niece but can't find any mention of your Benjamin Harvey.

The first Fourdrinier machine was installed at Frogmore in 1803, & the second at Two Waters in 1806. The engineer was Bryan Donkin who worked for the Fourdrinier brothers. This was all prior to Dickinson taking over the mills at a later date.

According to the book there were 18 paper mills in the county of Herts by 1800, many converted from flour mills.

Do you have any idea were your Benjamin was born, would it have been Hertfordshire.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 13 13:12 GMT (UK) »
He was born at Aston Cantlow in Warwickshire and married Jemima Wilkes at Bidford on Avon in 1808.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 March 13 13:15 GMT (UK) »
So he was Lostris, thanks, missed that bit..... ;D

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 March 13 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to learn that there were so many paper mills in Hertfordshire in 1800.It would seem that he lived in Warwickshire at least until 1815 being married at Bidford on Avon in 1808,his sons Jesse and Job being born at Bidford in 1809 and 1810,and son Joshua in 1815   at Aston Cantlow(where Benjamin himself was born).I suppose he could have gone away from home to work/serve an apprenticeship.Does anyone have any imformation about the  contract to install the Fourdrinier machines at St.Petersburg?I am not sure what evidence there is that he was involved.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 March 13 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this will be any help but it does mention who went to Russia.

http://todayinsci.com/F/Fourdrinier_Henry/FourdrinierHenry-Obituary.htm

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 March 13 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link which gave some interesting info about the Fourdrinier brothers.The trip to St.Petersburg was apparently led by Henry Fourdrinier`s son and the men sent with him,possibly including Benjamin Harvey were paid for by the Russians although they never paid the Fourdriniers the royalties for the use of their machine as had been agreed.Passport applications cannot be viewed on-line that far back to see whether Benjamin H had applied for a passport.The Warwickshire parish records for the births of the Harvey`s children might give their father`s occupation.They seem to vary in the ammount of details they contain.Similarly their marriage records.

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 March 13 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I see from the Probate Records he left £10.000, his son's Jesse,Job and Joshua Harvey were executors, do you have a copy of this

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich