Author Topic: Benjamin Harvey, papermaking pioneer  (Read 5076 times)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Harvey, papermaking pioneer
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 18:18 BST (UK) »
Have found an article on Benjamin Harvey by Nikki Bosworth who is archivist at the Pembrokeshire record office.It was published in the Dyfed family history society journal.I have discovered several things I did not know before.His family were involved with running paper mills at Aston Cantlow.He had a brother William Harvey,born 1781 who stayed at Aston Cantlow running the paper mill.Prior to the Fourdrinier brothers introduction of the automatic paper making machine the mechanized part of the process was the production of pulp from rags.The rest of the process was done by hand.After son Joshua was born in Warwickshire in 1815 the family went to Russia where he helped the Fourdrinier`s team installing the machinery.They were there some time as several of their children were born there but all died except Anne born1822.Soon after her birth  they came back to England and then to Wales.From Elcas I have some fascinating information as a result of research on his ancestor Charles Hide (or Hyde).He has a copy of a letter listing staff employed in Russia including his ancestor (employed as an interpretor) and Benjamin Harvey (paper maker).I would still like to know whether he had worked for the Fourdriniers prior to going to Russia.Also how many paper mills had the Fourdrinier machines by 1824 when he came back to Britain.Also how much the machines cost and how he could afford to buy them.The Fourdriniers were not paid by the Russian government and were bankrupted.I wonder whether their workers were paid?
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 April 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Dear All

Wow what a resource Rootschat is, I am doing some research for my elderly uncle (91 years young), he has Harvey as a middle name and Hyde as his family name. I was stuck at his grandfather Frederick Hyde born 1871 Bidford on Avon. I felt sure that I would find a link back to Harvey as a family name somewhere and sure enough here we have the link and what an auspicious one.

I can't wait to tell him about his Harvey ancestors.

Best wishes

Felix
LEWIS, WOODCOCK, ALLWOOD, WITHERINGTON, ASH, CURTIS, WILLIAMSON, FANTOM, FREE, PARKER, MARROW, SHICKELL, ELLIOTT, REVELL, NEVITT, KNEVIT, WHITEMAN.

Offline elcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Dear Zebelix......and Benjamin,

First to Benjamin: the members of the team were payed by the Tsar. Not the Fourdrinier brothers.
However just know - believe or not - I came across an article in Mechanics magazine, Vol.XVI, page 421 an article "Caution to mechanics against emigrating to Russia", 1831. There is my 4x grandfather Hide mentioned working at the Imperial Papermill.

My research convinced me already that he was a papermaker. By now I`m almost 100% certain that he was working at the Imperial Papermill and could therefore help the English team installing the Fourdrinier machines by "interpreting".

To Zebelix: yes I`m interesting in your family line although the combination of "Harvey Hide" is new for me.

Eagerly waiting, Elcas 

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 April 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Elcas

It was wonderful to read your reply and hear that you are still interested in your Charles Hide.

I have had a look at the Mechanics Magazine December 1831 and was fascinated to read the warnings and Messrs. Davison, Hide, Glenton, Knowles and Merrott being mentioned. If they were discharged in 1831 that was just a year before Charles died, I wonder if being forced out had anything to do with his death. I found the death of Charles Richard Hide 1 Nov 1895 in St Petersburg and on the same page the death of Charles Frederick Davison aged 68 years on 31 May 1895, could he possibly be the son of the Davison mentioned in 1831?

I live near the centre of Worcester so can access the Worcestershire archives but I think in order to advance our research I may need to visit the Warwickshire archives at the new Birmingham Library. I will have to make time for an excursion or two.

My uncle says that his father who was William Harvey Hyde ( 1898-1983 ) was very proud of the Harvey name he had been given. He was the son of Frederick Harvey Hyde born in Bidford on Avon 1871. I am still working on finding the missing Hyde and Harvey family links.

I am ordering some birth certificates for Hyde Alcester births to locate the parents of Frederick Harvey Hyde and will let you know what I find.

I have found an Elizabeth Tringham born 1792 in Alne in the 1851 census living with her daughter Sarah Ross and husband in Tewkesbury. A Sarah Tringham was baptised in Worcester in 1825 to William and Elizabeth Tringham so we have a Warwickshire/Worcestershire link to the Tringham family.

Just one last thought for the moment, your Charles Hide born 1781/1782 had two sons with Richard as Agilent middle name so his father may have been Richard? Just a thought.

Best wishes

Felix
LEWIS, WOODCOCK, ALLWOOD, WITHERINGTON, ASH, CURTIS, WILLIAMSON, FANTOM, FREE, PARKER, MARROW, SHICKELL, ELLIOTT, REVELL, NEVITT, KNEVIT, WHITEMAN.

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 April 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry typing this on my iPad the last paragraph should read as a middle given name and not Agilent!

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
I have had contact with a Swedish descendant of the paper making Davisons, I contacted her through Ancestry but she has given me permission to place her family information here. I found the death of Charles Frederick Davisson b.1827 d. 1895 in the UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects 1628 - 1969 and found him in 1841 with his family living in Alveley near Bridgnorth. The following link has information about Alveley Mills.

http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/getrecord/CCS_MSA17111/?allowcookies=1

In the 1841 census on the same page as the Davisons there was a 30 year old James Hyde papermaker with his wife (her name has been transcribed as Milbro!) also at Alveley I wonder if he was related to Elcas' Charles Hide?

Anyway back to the Davison family:

"In 1849 John Davisson (1804-1863) moved to Sweden with his family. They established a paper mill in Nykvarn, outside Stockholm. His son Charles Frederick (1827-1895) seems to have left Sweden after a couple of years and he died in St Petersburg. Maybe he had been there as a child or maybe Davisson could mean another family or a brother to John?

From Nykvarn they moved to Motala. John Davisson and his son James Davisson are mentioned in a Swedish book about Swedish paper industry. The paper mill in Motala was founded by the brothers Alexander and Robert Fraser and John Davisson. Alexander and Robert came to Sweden with their parents, from Scotland. Davisson and Frazer imported machines from Bryan and Donkin & Co, outside London.

Johns son Joseph Davisson (1835-1919) was my grandfather’s grandfather. As an apprentice (for paper maker), he might have been in England. He worked at several paper mills within Sweden, and one period he was in Norway. When he became a master or papermaker he often stayed only for a year, so maybe his knowledge was needed for the start-up of a new paper mill. I think a paper maker was well paid. But in 1887 he and his family moves to Norrköping. According to the church records he is now “only” a paper worker. Something must have happened. I think the paper industry had financial problems, maybe there were to many mills, so they had to close down.

John Davisson with his family, later settled down in Röttle outside Gränna (or Jönköping). His youngest son, John Davisson Jr. (1839-1910) took over Röttle paper mill after his father died in 1863. The paper mill was discontinued in 1879. The same year John and his family moved to Torsvik outside Jönköping. He became the head of Torsvik paper mill, but not the owner. He was however a friend of the owner, C. F. Wennberg. He built what in those days was the biggest water wheel in Sweden. The wheel powered the paper mill. John Davisson Jr. liked to do a lot of experiments. He developed skin ointment, he tested minerals, he also tested different items like rye straw, for paper production. His wife thought it was too much!

In 1899, C. F. Wennberg suddenly died and the company got financial problems. The paper industry was having problem with profitability the last decades. There were too many paper mills in Sweden. In 1905 John and his wife moves back to Gränna. Then his wife’s flour grinder burns down in Gränna, and they get even harder financial problems. In 1910 at the age of 70, John Davisson committed suicide.

I think the Davisson´s were very technically skilled. John Davisson have descendents here in Sweden who for some generations have been engineers.

John Davison’s (1804-1863) wife was Elisabeth Powell (1799-1870), she was born in Bromfield, Shropshire. "

I expect my Hyde/Hide GRO pdfs to arrive in the next few days so watch this space.

Felix

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
I have found James Hyde and wife Amelia in 1851 with their 9 year old daughter, he is still a papermaker but in Cleobury Mortimer now.

F

Offline elcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
Felix,

what an activity.

I red with interest your findings although at least for the moment no links to my maternal family.

So far I know their name was just Hide.

But any information about papermills/papermakers is important. Is has been a rather complex business.

The Imperial Papermill in Peterhof / Russia is my focus. My Charles Hide worked there, but the question is was he a professional already in England ?

I keep following you!

Thanks,

Elcas

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 April 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Elcas et al

I have received my pdfs from GRO (a selection of Hyde births registered in Alcester)but they are not from the family I am seeking (William and Ellen as parents) which is a disappointment. I will set out all the information I have on my Harvey Hyde family in my next missive but it will take a little time to organise, I can then copy and paste it to some other message boards.

Elcas, do you have any other clues linking your Charles Hyde to the Suffolk Hide family other than the baptismal registers?

I have found a Benjaminus Hide baptised 15 Jan 1728 in Aston Cantlow to Ricardi and Sara Hide and in the Warwickshire trade directory I found Richard Hide a glover in Alcester in 1747 so there are Richard Hides in the Alcester area.

I have been looking at the Wilkes family in the Alcester area as Jemima Wilkes (b.1783) married papermaker Benjamin Harvey in Bidford in 1808. Her father was Job Benjamin Wilkes b.1748 and her mother was Elizabeth Hemming b.1758 in Haselor, they married in Bidford 1777. I have found marriage links between the Hides and the Hemmings with the marriage of Susannah Hide to William Hemming 12 Oct 1782 in Alcester.

The Hemmings family were needle makers in Studley using Mills for needle scouring. An unusual daughter's name that appears in the Harvey and Hide families in the area is Keziah. Ah well, so much information but so difficult to tie it all together.

Best wishes

Felix