Author Topic: Benjamin Harvey, papermaking pioneer  (Read 5081 times)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Harvey, papermaking pioneer
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 March 13 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marg
It might be interesting getting a copy of the will.He owned 1 or 2 papermills at Haverfordwest.It might list the machinery installed in the mills such as Fourdrinier machines.It would probably not help with shedding light on his earlier life though.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 March 13 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I agree it will not answer your previous question, but I have found that the Wills are a great source of information, about there family and there life, on one of mine, I found a son who I never knew existed who had died, it also mentioned, who the son married and there children, so definitely worth a punt, I wonder if Benjamin went to University, I can't find him on any Apprentice record

Marg
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 March 13 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marg
He might have come from quite a wealthy family as he was able to buy the mills in Haverfordwest in around 1824 at the age of 37.His parents were Thomas and Ann.Thomas Harvey and Ann Robertson married at Aston Cantlow 14th Jan 1781.The information on the marriage and births do not give any further details such as occupation.It would be most interesting to know his fathers occupation.
John
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 March 13 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there is a Will for Thomas
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 08:01 GMT (UK) »
A will did not appear in the index I checked but that does not mean there was no will.Not knowing his year of death does not help.

Offline elcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 July 13 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

searching my 4x grandfather, Charles Hide, papermaker, I came across Benjamin Harvey involved in the Imperial Papermill at Peterhof, Russia.

So almost certain this is yours Harvey.

The story is too long to describe here and I do not know what you want to know. But I got several documents even from Russian archives about the team - among Harvey, Hide , the son of Fourdrinier and several others - that started to work from 1814 on a temporarily contract.

The 2 Fourdrinier machines, the Russian czar ordered when he visited England in 1812, came by boat "Aisthorpe of Parkinson" from London, presumably together with at least some members of the team.

In my case, Charles Hide might have been working in Russia already. What I do know is that he stayed and the several generations after him as well till the Russian Revolution.

My brickwall is that I do not know where in England Charles came from. Born however in 1781/1782.

That`s it for now.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 July 13 20:10 BST (UK) »
I am very interested in the imformation you have on the St.Petersburg venture.I am interested in anything on Benjamin Harvey before he came to Haverfordwest where he first appears in 1841 running a paper mill.He was born in Warwickshire and he married and his sons were born in that area.I feel that he must have worked for the Fourdrinier brothers at their mills near Hemel Hempstead.I wonder if your ancestor worked there? I am intending to visit the museum there or to contact them to see if they have any info on employees.If I send you a PM with my contact details perhaps you would be so kind as to send me the info you have on the St.Petersberg job.
John

Offline elcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 July 13 21:12 BST (UK) »
John,

I`m  certainly willing to share with you the information I have on the Fourdinier -project in Russia. Although it may take some time and in parts.

How do you know that your Benjamin Harvey was involved in this Fourdrinier business? Do you have any info about him on his stay in Russia?

In researching my 4x grandfather, I now at the point to see if e.g. witnesses at weddings can give indications about his background/whereabouts/social/working/contacts in Russia. I admit, my last hope.

I know Benjamin Harvey only as member of the team.

So I wonder if (all) members came from the same county in England. Family-story goes that my Charles Hide came from Yorkshire. But that is rather vague.

Please send me any information you get visiting the Fourdrinier museum. I tried to contact them but did not get an answer.

Best wishes,

elcas ( for the moment)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 July 13 21:36 BST (UK) »
Some research done on the paper mills in Haverfordwest came up with the information that Benjamin Harvey had been to St.Petersberg even that he had been in charge of the operation.I will try to follow that up.