Author Topic: The Jersey Children of William Clark  (Read 5248 times)

Offline clairac33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Jersey Children of William Clark
« on: Wednesday 23 January 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I am anxious to find out about the children of a distant ancestor.  It is thought that some of these children were born on Jersey.
The father is one William Clark (1773-1835).  He married second time around a Mrs Beresford about whom nothing is known.  From this relationship were born four sons two of whom were in all probability born on Jersey.  These were Horatio Clark (said to have been baptised in St Helier in July 1833 though I have no documentation for this) and William Alfred Clark probably born in St Helier in 1835.  The boys were educated at a school in St Helier the head of which was a Mr Denziloe.  I am trying to find out more about Horatio and William Alfred Clark and especially about their mother, the mysterious Mrs Beresford, but so far without much success.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

Roger Clark : clairac33

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Jersey Children of William Clark
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Although the 1841 shows Horatio and William as having been born in Jersey they are not appearing in the St Helier baptism records.

There is a William Henry born 1837, son of William and Maria, which fits with the birth on the 1841 and also with a William H on the 1861 described as Nephew and living in Chelsea but born in Jersey.

There is a Wm Clark at Alfred Denziloe's school in 1851.

Offline clairac33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the info.  I have used the 1841 Jersey census a lot and found all 4 boys at Deziloe's school.  By 1851 only William is left which makes sense (though where have the others gone?).  But I have had no joy locating father and mother in either census.  Any thoughts?  William is thought to have been living in a house on Ann Street in St Helier at the time of his death (February 1835).  Where did the boys live thereafter? 
I have located the baptism in St Helier on March 1 1835 of a William Clarke (spelling sic but the confusion is constant), son of William Clarke and of a Catherine Gibson with members of the Denziloe family as godparents.  That really muddies the waters as I wonder whether these are the people I am after.  Any thoughts appreciated - though I am really rehearsing the issues to myself!

Roger Clark
clairac33

Offline On track

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 July 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Mister Clark, good morning !
I'm just discovering your different messages.
I'm writing these lines from France.
Recently, I discovered that my ancestor was Augustus George Bruce CLARK (1817-1891, born in Scotalnd in Old-Aberdeen and died in France in Bordeaux).
So, I have numerous questions to ask you about him and all the Clark family.
Please, if you're still on line, let it me know.
If other persons could also help me to complete my puzzle, please, don't hesitate to contact me.
Thanks a lot to all of you.
Kind regards,
E.B.