Author Topic: Starting Dates for Sleat/Strath (Skye) records.  (Read 2336 times)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Starting Dates for Sleat/Strath (Skye) records.
« on: Thursday 24 January 13 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I'm having a look at the records for Stath and Sleat in Skye, I see that birth and marriage records only started in 1813 in Sleat, and around the same time in Strath.

Is there absolutely no other way to trace ancestors beyond that point in Southern Skye? Does anyone else have any tips or other sources of information that might be useful.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline K MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Dates for Sleat/Strath (Skye) records.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 16 12:33 GMT (UK) »
It seems many people have found similar problems trying to trace any of their family from Skye. The biggest brick wall seems to be the missing parish records.

Via the Scotlands People website
http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/old-parish-registers/list-of-old-parish-registers
OPR 57-119 Ross and Cromarty, Inverness
http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/list-of-oprs/list-of-oprs-57-119_0.pdf

I found that the Portree and Sleat parish records have a limited date range
114. PORTREE
114/1 Births 1800-19, Marriages 1800-19
114/2 Births 1819-54, Marriages 1819-54

115. SLEAT
115/1 Births 1813-19, Marriages 1813-17
115/2 Births 1819-53, Marriages 1820-52

An Archive Assistant at the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre confirms that the date ranges for the other parishes are limited.

Bracadale (1802-1854); Duirinish (1817-1854); Kilmuir (1823-1854); Snizort (1823-1854) and Strath (1820-1854).

A Family History Leader from High Life Highland has told me:

Registration was not compulsory in Scotland until 1855 and prior to this people had to pay for an entry in the register.

Other sources could be rent rolls for the area, but you would need to know the name of the croft the family held as a tenancy. The Clan Donald Centre on Skye  www.clandonald.com holds records from Lord Macdonald’s estates and the archive in Portree  www.highlifehighland.com/skye-and-lochalsh-archive-centre/ will also hold local records but not Births, Marriages and Deaths.

Has anyone found any additional sources? They could well be a great way round the current brick wall.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 16 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Norma McLeod is worth sending an email to.  A native of Skye and a Genealogist she will tell you if their other local sources norma@skye-roots.co.uk

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline K MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don

Funny you should mention Norma, a friend & I were just talking about her. We've sent several emails (no reply) and tried telephoning (got no answer). All a bit frustrating, but we hope she is well and just too busy to reply. 

Keith

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 March 16 12:11 BST (UK) »
That's very odd she's not replying, did you try Marjorie MacInnes in Dunvegan?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.