Author Topic: John Fitzgerald, Sneem  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Fitzgerald, Sneem
« on: Friday 25 January 13 03:55 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking death information for John Fitzgerald of Sneem, Kerry.  He was born in Glorah in 1861 to Maurice and Anne/Nancy Fitzgerald.  He married Johanna Neill in Sneem in 1891 and had at least six children: Maurice, Mark, Mary, Annie, Elizabeth and Patrick.  Annie married Stephen Burns.  Since John appears in the 1911 census and Johanna/Hannah died a widow in 1947, he must have died between those dates.  Johanna/Hannah is buried in Maulagallane cemetery.  Any help will be very much appreciated.   

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Fitzgerald, Sneem
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 13 08:18 GMT (UK) »
You can check for possible deaths on the BMD Index and order certs to see if any match your Fitzgeralds, but it's quite a wide timeframe and also a very common surname. A quick search between 1911 and 1947 for deaths of a John Fitzgerald between 1911 and 1947 in Kenmare registration district, which covered Sneem, doesn't show any potential matches, so you may have to widen the search area.

Taking the district out of the search shows quite a number of possible matches, the closest I see so far are a couple in Tralee, Killarney, Cahersiveen and Dingle districts ...

see : John Fitzgerald deaths, 1911 - 1947

There are some Co. Kerry burial records online at www.kerrylaburials.ie that would be worth checking if you have not already done so..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 13 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

Thank you for your suggestions.  I had worked with all of them prior to posting but had come up empty.  You correctly note that the name is common, the time frame is wide and the Kenmare registry district does not have possibilities.  Maybe he died in Cork.  I suspect he might have died prior to the availability of burial records.  My hope is that someone will happen to have the information, but I know that's slim.  The 1920, 1930 and 1940 U.S. censuses are now available.  How helpful they would be in narrowing the time frame.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if Ireland were to release the 1926 census early?   

Thanks again. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 January 13 15:55 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see the registers Kerry Local Authority have for Maulagallane graveyard start in August 1928, and other than the seeming lack of death registered in the area, I'd suspect maybe John died between 1911 and 1928 and is also buried there.

Some of my gt-grandparents deaths turned up well away from their 'home' area, and in each case turned out to be living with one their children or other relations. Deaths in institutions and hospitals can also have the same effect, and it can be difficult to prove definite connections using the certs for these - as the informant and location are often no help.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 January 13 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

Thanks for the date of the start of the burial records.  They have been a big help in pinning down the deaths of three of the other g-grandparents, and in this case are an indication of how early the death occurred as you suggest.   I'm very appreciative of having those available, especially because the civil death records are so thin in terms of the information they contain.  They substitute so well for gravestones that are missing. 

The location of death record is also more difficult because of the circumstances you outline.  I've also been told that if a man was married more than once, he was traditionally buried with the first wife, no matter how long they were married.  Taken with the other happenings in the time frame in question such as the Great Flu of 1918, the struggle for home rule and World War I, the death in question can be far afield of the townland of the deceased person.  The genealogy gods have their work cut out for them if they are going to help us in our searches for elusive Irish records.  Nonetheless, the search is the fun part which makes a find all the more joyful.   

Offline lizmkeyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 October 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
I just came across a piece in the book 'Bridging Memories Sneem, Co Kerry which may have the information you are looking for.

It refers to a John Fitzgerald married to Johanna Neil who was said to have died of the 'black flu' of 1918.

I hope this helps!

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 October 15 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Liz,

It most certainly does!  Thank you so much for letting me know about this.  The year 1918 is certainly well beyond the memories of anyone still living.  I'll follow up on it through civil records. 

Thanks again. 

Offline Danny McClure

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 June 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi There.

This John Fitzgerald that you are looking for is from my village. I might be able to and would be happy to help.

Please let me know,

Danny