Author Topic: where is Elizabeth buried  (Read 4117 times)

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where is Elizabeth buried
« on: Friday 25 January 13 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out definitely where Elizabeth Thomas is buried.
She was born in Liverpool but married William Thomas and lived the rest of her life in and around Rosneigr in Anglesey.
She died while visiting her family in Caernarfon on 7th February 1917.
Her grandson always said that she was buried with one of her sons, Owen Thomas, in Llanfaelog churchyard. I have visited the churchyard and found Owen Thomas's grave (headstone in Welsh) but Elizabeths name is not on the headstone and so I checked with the Vicar of the church who looked through the church records and whilst Owen is listed in the book ,Elizabeth is not. As I said, her grandson always insisted that she was buried with Owen and he often visited the grave as a young man, but I an wondering if he had got it all wrong and she is buried somewhere else. Has anyone any idea how I would find out this information?
Many thanks to everyone at Roots for all you past help - if anyone can help it is Roots!!

Cecile

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: where is Elizabeth buried
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 13 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The perennial problem of "where are they buried?"  ;D

To be honest is it almost impossible to second-guess where someone has been laid to rest. The best way is to try and locate an obituary for Elizabeth which should mention where the burial took place. But of course, 1917 is rather early, and not everyone had obituaries published at the time.

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 13 13:28 GMT (UK) »
The perennial problem of "where are they buried?"  ;D

To be honest is it almost impossible to second-guess where someone has been laid to rest. The best way is to try and locate an obituary for Elizabeth which should mention where the burial took place. But of course, 1917 is rather early, and not everyone had obituaries published at the time.

Hi Keith
I did think it would probably be a more or less impossible task!
However, I will give it a  more of a try. As I said, she died while staying with her son (I am not sure if it was her son or daughter) in Caernarfon and I think I have the actual address - must double check on that - so I think the next step is perhaps to visit Caernarfon and find the address and see where the nearest churchyard is and try and find out something from there.
Many thanks for getting back to me
Best wishes
Cecile

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 13 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cecile

What age/DofB was she?

There is a burial  for an Elizabeth Thomas in Llanfaelog, 7th Feb 1917. Aged 75.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCKG-4J3

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 13 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Just been doing some census investigations!

If the family are living at Ty Newydd, Llanfaelog in 1881 RG11/5588/23/9 , then I think that the burial record that I've given above  is very likely her. Did you get the date of death from a death cert as it is the same date as the burial record?

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 January 13 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Just been doing some census investigations!

If the family are living at Ty Newydd, Llanfaelog in 1881 RG11/5588/23/9 , then I think that the burial record that I've given above  is very likely her. Did you get the date of death from a death cert as it is the same date as the burial record? 

brevitas

Hi
This definitely looks like her. As I said, her grandson always said that she was buried in Llanfaelog but as far as we have found out, she wasn't buried with her son Owen Thomas as her grandson thought.
The family did live in Ty Newydd. Elizabeth was born in Liverpool on 1st January 1842 and died on 2nd February 1917. I don't have a death cert but this info was on a copy from a family register that a researcher passed on to me a few years ago.
I assume she must be somewhere in Llanfaelog churchyard although the Vicar did show us the books and her name didn't seem to be there.
At least we know she is somewhere in Llanfaelog.
Many thanks for your help
Cecile

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 January 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just want to say THANK YOU to everyone for your help.
I now have it in writing that Elizabeth Thomas is buried in Llanfaelog, so just need to visit with my written record to see the grave.
Many thanks again. Always knew that I could rely on Roots!!
Best weishes
Cecile

Offline ELIZABETH ANN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 January 15 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lorraine,
 First off let me say I apologize sincerely for any errors that I may have made while I joined Ancestry.
I was so thrilled to join and find out so many records.  I TRULY respect all the information that you had given me in the past and in my excitement I think I have entered some facts in error.  I never meant to undermine all your hard work and generosity that you have put into this. I was in contact with some relatives of my grandpa Jones'(Edith's husband) and they sent me a couple of photos.
These sites are amazing and I really wish I had more time to just sit and go through stuff.  I admire
what you have done...takes a lot of digging for sure.  I just found this free live chat on roots but I don't have a subscription to it.  I have been digging around for more about Robert Ford but I can't seem to find him at all.
  Thanks again Lorraine and again I say I am truly sorry if I have entered any incorrect facts and I will try my best to get them righted.  Take care and hope all is well with you and your family!!!