Author Topic: Help with Findmypast  (Read 6041 times)

Offline lynfitz1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Findmypast
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I am the "gal" with the info about the Read / Bushell marriage.  John Bushell is buried in the Ramsgate cemetery, in the same grave as his first wife, Harriet. There is no headstone   His obit in the local paper says he left a "widow and grown up family".  I have a copy of the Read /Bushell marriage certificate.  As a family we were unaware of this second marriage, though my father was 16 when John B died.  If only I had asked more questions?  I have my doubts about the Browse Trist link to my problem, but am giving up full time work soon so will have more time to tackle the problem.

Offline lynfitz1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 November 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, don't know if you are still following this tangled web? 
I went on the new 1939 Register, and found an Elizabeth Bushell, widow, of the right age, living in Hendon with a Frederick Charles Pike.  I got his birth certificate and it confirms that the Frederick Charles is the son of Frederick George Pike and Elizabeth, ne TRIST.
All I need to do now is find a Pike / Read "marriage" and it is all sorted.......
Has anyone else found anymore info??

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 November 15 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi lynfitz1

Denise who started this topc hasn't been online here since march 2013, before your last post.

Because of her settings, she won't get another email notification to say that you have posted here.

If you want to try and make contact with her again, try sending a personal message.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline DeniseA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 November 15 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ladies,
This is bizarre! I just found a post of yours, lynfitz, on the ramsgate history forum, re: John, and came here to refresh my memory on what had been discovered. This is great news; I appreciate your persistence in this endeavor. I was fairly convinced they were the same Elizabeth, there were too many "coincidences" for it to be otherwise, but had no evidence to confirm the hunch 😕
When I was back in Margate, 2014, I met a local researcher, I'll contact him and see if he is able to find any info on a Read/Pike marriage and let you know if he turns anything up 😀
Denise
Canada/US - Aylestock, Cromwell, Lawson, Moore, Stonehouse
Kent - Cooper, Stock, Terry
Derby - Matthews, Rudkin, Sparham
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website www.collectionscanada.ca
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynfitz1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 November 15 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denise, I got really excited when the certificate came through, and went back over all I know about Elizabeth.  It has all gone downhill from there, and I am now more confused than ever!
The marriage certificate for Elizabeth and Frederick George Pike gives her father as George Trist ( not Walter) but he is still a bricklayer.
There is a birth of Elizabeth to Walter Trist and Susan Edmonds (2 Sep 1877)

So was her father Walter or George ?

I cannot find the family in the 1881 census, nor can I find any birth records for Alma (Elizabeths sister)

I have found records of a Frederick George Pike and an Elizabeth in the Canadian census, but that says they went out in 1905, which was the year Frederick Charles was born, and I do have them on a 1911 census.

I will keep in touch, I need to contact a distant relative who has some letters which may throw some light on this.  I have also sent off for the birth Certificate of the George A Read ( mother Trist) and will let you know if that is our Elizabeth.
Do let me know if you find anything.
Cheers
Lyn

Offline peb21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I have come across a 1881 census which could or could not be Walter B Crist (Trist).  Although the baby is Emma not Alma, but that could be that the person misheard the name?.   The area they lived in was St Pancras..

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Very late to the party here  ;D. In case anyone wants it - RG11/184/80/16 is the ref.  Walter is a cloth worker though. All family born Marylebone [although it's all a ditto & the enumerator may have left out Walter's pob....].

Surname does look like a 'T' not a 'C' to me; here's another 'T' from the same page.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline lynfitz1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 December 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the 1881 census info.
I have the birth certificate for the George A Read in Southwark..... George Arthur was the son of Elizabeth Trist and a George Read, who had been in the Essex Regiment.
Still no luck with a marriage of Trist/Pike and Read, and now there is another child to add into the puzzle.
Also I cannot find Alma's birth........
Any ideas?