Author Topic: Voluntary Aid Detachment - Identification  (Read 9297 times)

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Voluntary Aid Detachment - Identification
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 October 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Re: Voluntary Aid Detachment- identification.
Does anyone know how I could get the name of a nurses in the picture? The nurse behind the  younger man (at the one o'clock position) may be my grandmother.  Any information will be appreciated.  Thank you.  Hannah

Hannah

Would be most greatful If you get a positive result. Whilst I have not pursued the subject it is still in my pending file.

Murton

Offline hannah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 October 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Murton,
I will let you know if I get anymore information.  Hannah

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 May 15 15:50 BST (UK) »
This thread has been moved to Dumfriesshire as the detachment has now been identified as Dunbar Terrace Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital, Dumfries. I consider by the professional arrangement of the staff, this is recording an event not just a group photograph. More details in previous posts.

I consider the photograph was taken sometime between 1911 & 1914 and would be most grateful if anybody can confirm the reason for the photograph.

Tony.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 May 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
There were several generations of 'Dykes' who were dentists in Dumfries until fairly recently (within my lifetime) the Bridge House museum in Dumfries has a display of Dentist's chair and equipment witch belonged to James Dykes, Dentist. (I think it was James but that should be checked)

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 May 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
imchad

My interest is primarily in the formation of the Voluntary Aid Detachment, Capt. Dykes presence is obviously because he was a Doctor by profession and almost certainly medical adviser to the detachment he also, apparantly, hails from Dumfries.

Thanks for your interest

Tony

Offline nigelmillarnz

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 00:29 BST (UK) »
The Matron pictured in the centre looks to be my Great Grandmother Mary McGeorge who received an MBE for leading the VAD Hospital in Dumfries during the war. She matches a painting we have in the family of her in uniform with her MBE