Author Topic: Campbell family of tyrone??? Help please.  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Irishsheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Campbell family of tyrone??? Help please.
« on: Saturday 26 January 13 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I am helping a friend with their family tree . I have no idea as to where the Campbell family came from in tyrone, or even if they did.
Here is what I do know.
Edward Campbel was born in tyrone? in 1815-1818 depending on what  canadian census you look at after the family arrived between 1850-1852

Reason is, the last child born in Ireland was Mary Ann born feb. 15,1850 while their first child born in the new land was Catherine Campbell ,July 13,1852.  Again the census have this child being born in the United States and also in Canada.
To Edward & Mary Ann Niblo/Niblow/Niblock who marred in 1838 ( according to the one canadain census)
The following children were born in Ireland
Samuel: Nov. 27,1839
Thomas: Nov. 7,1841
Edward ( JR) Feb 14,1844
George: April 12,1846
Margaret Anne: Dec.3,1847
Mary A.: Feb 15.1850
 Born in Canada were:
Catherine?/ Sarah/John/James/Richard/William/Jane and Robert.

For a while the family is listed as members of the Church of Ireland, the later on they become Presybterains.
Last  point of interest is:
I understand that Edward Senior's(born 1815-1818) father was a member of the [color=orange]Orange Lodge[/color], as would be all of Edwards' male children and future generations.
Am taking a guess that some of Edward children would be named after family members on both sides.
So perhaps, the 1st born child of Edward would be Samuel, after Edward father. ???
Thank-you for any leads or help you can give me.
Sheila
Campbell of Tyrone
McGrane/Callaghan of Tyrone
Gormley of Monaghan

Offline Irishsheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Loyal orange Lodge/Pres/Church of Ireland and Marriage records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 February 13 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Where would someone look to see to records for the Orange Lodge for Tyrone? I have written them and NOTHING!  ???
Where or who should I write about records for the Presybertain records in Ireland [Tyrone]
The same for the Church of Ireland?
Lastly, were could I find marriages for Ireland. The date of marriage is 1838.[Tyrone]
Edward Campbell married Mary Ann Niblo/Niblock/Niblow. :(
Thank-you
Sheila
Campbell of Tyrone
Gormley of Monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Loyal orange Lodge/Pres/Church of Ireland and Marriage records
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 February 13 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Where would someone look to see to records for the Orange Lodge for Tyrone?
You could contact the relevent lodge and see if they have records for the period/person you are interested in. Have you checked to see if they have a website? if they have not responded you could try here- http://www.grandorangelodge.co.uk/

Where or who should I write about records for the Presybertain records in Ireland [Tyrone]
Which church? most church records will not be online but hopefully you will be able to find the dates for their records. PRONI has lots of microfilmed church records.

The same for the Church of Ireland? see above

Lastly, were could I find marriages for Ireland. The date of marriage is 1838.[Tyrone]
Edward Campbell married Mary Ann Niblo/Niblock/Niblow.

Civil registration of non-Catholic marriages started in 1845- for earlier dates you need to search for church records.
It may be that no marriage record exists but if it does there will likely be a minimal amount of details- date, groom and bride, perhaps name of clergyman and/or 2 witnesses at most.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irishsheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell family of tyrone??? Help please.
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 13 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I have written the nearest LOL in Ireland  and also in Canada. Wrote them about five years ago, and then last December for the Irish website they have and the one for Canada, historical website they have. Nothing.
As for the marriage, aware that records would not be available for the time asked about, but where does one begin when they are not sure of the county , place or church. All I can go by is information on the census which states Church of Ireland then Presbyterian.
With some of the children being born after the time frame of when records were taken, a big guess on my part. 
On one census they claim to come to Canada in 1851 while an later one states 1855. To makes things more interesting is that those born in Ireland came different years for different members of the family.
Thank-you for your reply.

Sheila
Campbell of Tyrone
Gormley of Monaghan

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell family of tyrone??? Help please.
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 August 15 10:56 BST (UK) »
I have bumped into this family in my research.

James Reid was born about 1778 and died in Blackwatertown, Armagh in 1862 leaving a long will that you can view on the PRONI web site.

Among his list of relatives:

"My brotherinlaw Thomas Niblow and his son Richard, and each of his three daughters by my sister Sarah, the eldest married to a man of the name of Mitchell, the other two living in the neighbourhood of Ballygawley and married to men of the name of Campbell"

And later in a codicil:

"I quite forgot two of my sister Sarah Niblow's daughters: namely Mrs Martin and Mrs Brawley"

I traced Sarah Niblock who was married to a James Mitchell and settled in Tecumseth probably around the early 1850s which I think lines up well with your family :)