Author Topic: Guiseppe Arnaud  (Read 829 times)

Offline Josette

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guiseppe Arnaud
« on: Sunday 27 January 13 02:55 GMT (UK) »
I am looking on more information on my great grandfather.  He was killed in WWl Jan 20 1918 on the HMS Louvain.  He was a lead stoker.  On the war memorial it mentions his parents Carmelo and Caterina ( nee Aquilina) from Tripoli.  Married to Onorata (nee Aquilina).  I have  a birth certificate that gives his parents name as Vincent Arnaud and Maria Darmanin born in Valletta and a different year of birth.  Can anyone help me clarify this?
Thank You

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Guiseppe Arnaud
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 13 07:10 GMT (UK) »
hi there,

I had a look on familysearch.org for information regarding Tripoli ,  Cindis List and a few other sites for links or databases for Tripoli....zip .     However,

May I suggest contact or use of ideas from these two links>

http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/deplib/countries/liby.htm

http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Africa/Libya-LIBRARIES-AND-MUSEUMS.html

There is a posting box on the second link ,,   maybe put a message in that...
I would attempt to contact the National Library in Banghazi  for furthering information on genealogy records or materials

I saw your lonely record there on anc.com ,  and did look on the British Nat Arc site, and again zip

I have no idea for how u would find his personell file of the RN to see if it revealed anything more...

But the only place I can see is for you to contact the National Archives of that country and seek an opinion as to how they maintain genealogical records.

May I suggest that if you do find out , please put a reply post up on rootschat so others who may have the similiar or possible use of information may be able to use.

I am sorry I couldnt find any databases for u to look on or clarify....other folk may have some knowledge I dont.....and I hope they do....good luck with that.

???

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Commonwealth War Graves Commission website says Guiseppe lived in Malta?

Son of Carmelo and Catarina Arnaud (nee Aquilina), of Tripoli; husband of Onorata Arnaud (nee Aquilina), of 91, Strada Santa Scolastica, Vicolo 2DO, Vittoriosa, Malta.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 13 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I'd suggest spending £3.36 to download the file of the Giuseppe Arnaud on CWGC from the NA to confirm whether or not he really is the same man!
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D7006850

Adrian

Offline Buzancy18

• RootsChat Member
  • Lest we Forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 13 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Naval-History.net gives
HMS Louvain, armed boarding steamer, torpedoed and sunk by UC.22 in the Aegean

and in the crew list

ARNAUD, Guiseppe, Leading Stoker, K 49016 (Dev)
There is a difference in number on CWGC ( K/149016) which may be a typo but worth searching for both at National Archives.

Buzancy18
Girdwood, Fergusson, Graham, Porteous, Watson, Donaldson,

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 January 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
the only reason I can think of as to why the D O B is different is he lied to get into the RN ?

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 January 13 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with Adrian - download the file from the National Archives and check the details on that.

If you have the birth cert and you know it is the correct person then it will hopefully all match.

When you say "on the war memorial" - do you mean on the Commonwealth war Graves site?

I think what may have happened is that the information at the CWGC site is incorrect for him.

This information was collected after the war from next of kin and other relatives. Sometimes the information got confused.  The fact that both his mother and wife are down as "nee Aquilina" is strange.  Carmelo and Catarina could even be his wife's parents.  It would be based on who provided the information to CWGC, who was claiming the medals, who was down as next of kin on his records (if his parents were not alive). 

It is not uncommon to see people listed as the "son" of someone when in fact it is a step-parent.

In this case you also have the confusion of the family being from Libya where families would tend to call a "son-in-law" a "son" - and you can see where the confusion may arise.

If it is the same person (when you get the records) and if he was born in Malta - I would guess that his wife and her family are from Tripoli, Libya.

Going back to the most original document at the National Archives may just clarify it for you.

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 January 13 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the quick reply everyone.  I would like to address some of the answers brought up here.  Yes the dates are different but so are the parents.  The Guiseppe from CWGC is my great grandfather.  We have a letter  and his war medals. Also yes he did live in Malta.  That is where he married my my great grandmother who was born in Malta. (I have more on her family tree) and had my grandmother.  That is where I was born.
I will check the other sites provided.   Thanks again.  Will let you know if I can get any other info.
In regards to the nee next to the names all documents including birth certificates always show. father, mother and (nee...)  I do have their marriage certificate that show his parents as being Carmelo Arnaud and Catarina Aquilina. The name Aquilina is very common in Malta. 

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 January 13 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully those records will help clear up the mystery
Good luck.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk