Author Topic: Griffiths Family, Llanrwst  (Read 4957 times)

Offline marie5w

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Griffiths Family, Llanrwst
« on: Monday 28 January 13 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for more information about a relative Richard Griffiths who was the Landlord of the Cambrian Vaults, Llanrwst. I believe he was the landlord around 1870-1890 before it went bust!!

Many thanks.
Windmill family, Wheathampstead & Luton

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths Family, Llanrwst
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 13 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you checked for him on the 1881 census to get his birthyear/birthplace

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lfe/   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline paulpesda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi. just wondering how far you got with the Griffith-es? I think our family may be related, but trying to find the link. I'd appreciate a chat. Thanks Paul

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 February 15 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, as this is an old post, to see if their is a link, here is the census for 1881 with Richard & wife Ellen and family:-

Richard GRIFFITH 43 occ Vault Keeper & Car/Cab Proprietor b Llandewi
Ellen 44 b Llandewi
John 16
Cathrine 14
Mary E 10
Richard M 8
Margaret E 3
All children born Llanrwst
Residing at Cambrian Vaults, Denbigh Street, Llanrwst, Denbighshire
Census Ref RG11/5534/16/25
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulpesda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 February 15 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I'm just checking, but I do hope I can find a link. My paternal family come from Llanrwst, my grandad being Peter Davies Griffiths and his father a John Griffith, and his father a William Griffith. There is definitely a link with Caernarfon too, as thats where John, and I think William, were born. Just trying to work out the link. I know our family were based around Scotland Street (the colourful friendly 'ghetto' of Llanrwst) and both Peter and John were cab drivers / ostlers. I have a lovely picture of Peter with his horse and cart, and John used to drive the 'four in one' coach between Llanberis and Caernarfon. I'll get back to you if I make the link. Your 'Ellen' above was also known as 'Ellinor' on a few census entries. Thank you.

Offline paulpesda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 February 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
hmmm, can I just enquire are you stuck with this family, or have you managed to work it out? just had a look now, and its very confusing, unless you can shine some light on it. The family who live in cambrian vaults in 1881 appear to be the same family that were there in 1871. the wife was born in Llangernyw, as opposed to Llanddewi. if they are the same family, then I think I have found them, but still struggling to form a link. richard would have been the son of Thomas Griffith b1812 and Catherine (nee Davies possibly) b1811. does this correspond with what you have? thanks

Offline marie5w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the message. John Griffiths is my great-great grandfather, he married Jane and they lived in Scotland Street, Llanrwst & are buried along with 7 of their children in St.Mary's cemetery, Llanrwst.

Richard & Ellen are buried in St Crwsts, Llanrwst.
According to the 1871 census, Richard was down as being born in Llanrwst & Ellen in Llangernyw.
I refer to Ellen as Ellen as that is her name on the gravestone, despite it sometimes being listed as Elinor on the census.

Thanks,

Ellen

Offline paulpesda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Diolch for this Elen. I'm still struggling. Appears to be so many Richard and Ellen/Eleanors in my tree!  Can I just clarify that Richard b1838 who married Ellen b.1837 parents were John and Harriet? Richard & Ellen were at Fron View, Watling Street in 1891? 30 Watling Street in 1901?

1901 - John & Ellen living on 2 Plough street? 1911 - John & Ellen living on 22 Narrow Street? If so, they had 10 children in all, 6 had died before 1911, according to the census. There seems to be another John Griffith who married a Jessie, who was a solicitor and have similarly named and children born in same year. Where are John & Jane in 1891? I can't find them. This is where I may be going wrong. What seems confusing is that according to 1911 census, the J&J who had 10 children didnt marry until 1894, so must have lost a lot of children early.

Out of interest, who were your grandparents? If you prefer to email me direct then my details are paulpesda@hotmail.co.uk diolch

Offline marie5w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I'll email you shortly,

Ellen