Author Topic: Will the real Alex McDONALD please stand up!  (Read 2597 times)

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will the real Alex McDONALD please stand up!
« on: Tuesday 29 January 13 06:13 GMT (UK) »
I was trying to dig a little into my 3G Grandfather's (Robert McDonald) family.

I know Robert married Annas ALDERSON in Barningham in 1810.

They had a child named Alexander who was Christened 1 January 1826 in Barningham.

There was also another Alexander McDONALD Christened the following year but with parents of Alexander and Eleanor McDONALD (transscibed as MacDONALD).

I see Alex (as Ellick) in the 1851 census. (Still haven't found him in any other census though).

I found the following death entry:

Name: MCDONALD, Alexander Teesdale Dec Q 1853 Vol: 10A Page: 77

I made a note to check this further. Then I discovered a tree on Ancestry that has Alexander (with  Annas and Robert as his parents) emmigrating to Canada sometime before 1863 (as he has a son in 1863 that is born in Canada).

The town of birth for this Alexander on the Canada census is given as "Bowes". Bowes is a family hotspot for the McDONALD/DONALDS so it really could be the right one but equally it could be the other Alexander too.

So which Alex is which? The one that died in 1853 could even be a totally different Alexander (i.e. Alexander #2's father) !

The ships registers are of no help as all this took place before 1865. The Canada census doesn't seem to allow a calculated year of marriage either but the chappie that ended up in Canada married Eleanor DALEY and she is listed as born in Ireland so I suspect they married in Canada or on the voyage.

I am a total novice at looking up Canada records but what would I find on a Canadian marriage record?

Can anyone tell me any more details about the 1853 death of Alexander McDONALD in Teesdale from parish records?

I would ahte to swallow a red herring but I don't know how to validate the Ancestry tree short of asking the owner how they determined which Alex was theirs.

Confused of Texas
Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will the real Alex McDONALD please stand up!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 11:11 GMT (UK) »

I found the following death entry:

Name: MCDONALD, Alexander Teesdale Dec Q 1853 Vol: 10A Page: 77

I wonder who this is - I can't find a death registration for him, Kevin :

Burial - 3rd January 1854   
Alexander MacDonald
Barningham, Yorkshire

Not much use unfortunately - unless we go through all your Alexander's by a process of elimination because it doesn't give an age. Wondering what the original says, this was taken from Family Search.

I'll post a link to another thread mentioning your MacDonalds to save people possibly going over the same ground :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,564613.0.html

Kind regards,

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 11:38 GMT (UK) »

I made a note to check this further. Then I discovered a tree on Ancestry that has Alexander (with  Annas and Robert as his parents) emmigrating to Canada sometime before 1863 (as he has a son in 1863 that is born in Canada).

The ships registers are of no help as all this took place before 1865. The Canada census doesn't seem to allow a calculated year of marriage either but the chappie that ended up in Canada married Eleanor DALEY and she is listed as born in Ireland so I suspect they married in Canada or on the voyage.

I am a total novice at looking up Canada records but what would I find on a Canadian marriage record?

To be perfectly honest rather then rely on an Ancestry tree, I would ask on the Canadian board, I'd be surprised if someone there couldn't help ! 

:) :)

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 13 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have removed posting, due to missing link to other thread which already had the info.

Not sure if the other thread has this (although I may have missed it)

1841 census for Brignal (very close to Barningham)
Christopher Coates 35 farmer
then amongst others listed is
Alexander Mcdonald 15 F.S. (farm servant)
HO107 piece 1245 folio 8/2 page 9.

Could this be Alexander son of Robert & Annas ?

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 13 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Kev (Great name by the way :) )

I believe that is the same Alexander thank you.

I am starting to wish I didn't have McDONALD blood in my veins but I guess I must have because I moved to the USA! Alexander may have come to Canada, his brother Thomas may have gone to Australia and goodness knows where anyone else went! lol My line fortunately stayed put in God's county. ;D

Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 January 13 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Not a bad name ;D

Have been looking at some Canadian records, have not found a marriage as yet. Not sure if you have these records:
Looks like Alexander is on the 1871 census in Ontario listed as a Farmer.

On the 1881 census for Camaron (not sure if noted it correctly) Algoma, Ontario he's listed as a farmer with wife Elleanor & children, including Catherine whose marriage is on Familysearch on 23/9/1887 - mother listed as Elleanor Dailey. Marriage took place at Sandfield, Algoma, Ontario.

There's a death record at Algoma for an Alex Mcdonald on 26/3/1885, age at death 57 years, 3 months, 3 days (that's what it looks like to me). Birthplace is listed as Bowes (Bowes not being too far from either Barningham or Brignal).

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline patchwitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 March 16 14:59 GMT (UK) »
The Alexander buried at Barningham on 3 Jan 1854 was born in 1789 according to the National Burial Index for England & Wales. I'm afraid there isn't an image of the original parish entry, just a transcription.

I think this Alexander was baptised in Manfield NRY UK on 28 Jan 1789, born 2 Dec 1788, son of Alexander and Margaret WARDEL, and younger brother to the Robert who married Ann Alderson.

Alexander (1788 - 1854) married Eleanor ETHERINGTON and they had at least 2 children, John, bap 3 Apr 1812, Alexander, bap 7 Feb 1816. There is another Alexander bap 3 Jan 1827 to Alexander and Eleanor but that may be a grandson, I have not got that far yet. All baptisms at Barningham NRY.

Offline patchwitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 August 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry to dig this up but does this help? It's from the new GRO index. If Alexander was buried very early in 1854 he probably died in late 1853.

MCDONALD, ALEXANDER    [age]   65     
GRO Reference: 1853  D Quarter in TEESDALE  Volume 10A  Page 77

I am now pretty sure this is the Alexander born 2 Dec 1788, son of Alexander and Margaret Wardel.