Author Topic: William Traill Seatter  (Read 17041 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Traill Seatter
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 14 August 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
Interesting read folks "The Little General & the Rousay Crofters" being the story of the martinet laird, Traill Burroughs, & his poor relations with the tenants. The crofters tenure was protected by a law opposed by the laird who thought he was dealing with the natives back in India, while the farmers had no rights beyond the terms of their lease. Edwin Muir's father was cleared, for example.

Skoosh.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 14 August 16 22:30 BST (UK) »

The Traill family are my ancestors, I found this book quite interesting

https://archive.org/stream/agenealogicalac00unkngoog#page/n38/mode/2up

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skyran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 August 16 22:33 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to a bit of history on Saviskaill.  http://rousayremembered.moonfruit.com/saviskaill/4589645396

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 29 August 16 13:10 BST (UK) »
Excellent, skyran ....   :) 

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 June 19 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. If I can I might piggyback my query onto here as the Traill name features in my offshoot family

My GGGgrandmothers sister married a William Traill McLean and they lived in Midlothian before emigrating to Australia with children and sisters in tow. The 1851 census notes birth in Orkney so I am comfortable of the right one

Researching WT I find a birth for him in Kirkwall as was his brother. His parents , John and Margaret nee Holland were married in Kirkwall in 1818. I cant find a corresponding birth for Margaret or John in the area. Using naming patterns I may have found John born in Edinburgh but nothing of Margaret in Kirkwall

1. Is there a connection to the Traill family?
2. Is there a reason for ''outsiders'' to travel to Orkney then return to the ''mainland'' ?
3. Is there a connection to the Holland family in Orkney and is Margaret not her birth name?

If this needs to be separated then please do so :)

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 June 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
There are 3 births for Margaret Holland between 1781 - 1785 in Firth and Stenness, which is not far from Kirkwall ( she may not have been born in Kirkwall ), it was very common for Orkney folk to end up in Midlothian, and vice versa, usually by boat down the East coast. Traill was a common middle name ( usually after the local laird or landowner ) The Orkney Family History Society would be a good place to start, they have a treasure trove of information and not expensive to join.

www.orkneyfhs.co.uk
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 June 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
There are 3 births for Margaret Holland between 1781 - 1785 in Firth and Stenness, which is not far from Kirkwall ( she may not have been born in Kirkwall ), it was very common for Orkney folk to end up in Midlothian, and vice versa, usually by boat down the East coast. Traill was a common middle name ( usually after the local laird or landowner ) The Orkney Family History Society would be a good place to start, they have a treasure trove of information and not expensive to join.

www.orkneyfhs.co.uk
Thank you very much for that further information . That gives me a wider scope .
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 03:27 BST (UK) »
Traill was a common middle name ( usually after the local laird or landowner )

Yeah this seems to be the reality.

Have not worked on the branch for a while.

Yeah, a couple of our Seatters and Shearers moved from Orkney to Edinburgh.