Author Topic: Repair CDV - air bubbles & creased air bubbles  (Read 2937 times)

Offline sunparrot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Repair CDV - air bubbles & creased air bubbles
« on: Thursday 31 January 13 07:13 GMT (UK) »
I recently purchased a CDV that, unfortunately, arrived with air bubbles where the photo has come unglued from the card stock. The edges are still glued, with the exception of one area. At this spot, an air bubble is creased where something heavy must have pressed down on it during shipping. I've been told that I can soak the CDV in water to remove the photo from the card stock, and then re-glue it, but that will remove the tax stamp from the rear as well, which is something I don't want to do. Won't soaking it ruin the card stock too? Bottom line, I'm just afraid I'm going to ruin the whole thing!

Can anyone give me more detailed instructions (how long to soak, what kind of glue to use, etc.) - or give me some alternate fix-it help? Will steaming work? I'm not looking for a digital resolution; I'd like to repair the actual CDV (without causing more damage!).

Thanks in advance!

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Repair CDV - air bubbles & creased air bubbles
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 13 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi sunparrot,
Definitely do not soak it in water! Albumen prints are highly sensitive to water and microscopical cracks will open up in the surface of the photograph, distorting as the photo dries and causing visual disturbance as well as making nice places for dirt to hide in the future.

If it is only one small area that is lifting, you can get a little bit of paste on a brush and stick it back down that way - you can make your own starch paste, or just use a little bit of a white glue stick (such as UHU or Bostick) as they're not too bad these days.

Bottom line - if you don't think you can do it without causing more damage, don't do it.  Take it to a photograph conservator who will charge you a minimal fee for repairing it :)

Added:  there is a danger that, if the air bubble has been present since creation of the photo (100-150 years), the photograph may be too distorted in that area to allow it to be flattened down again without creasing or folding, so do take care.

Prue

Offline sunparrot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Repair CDV - air bubbles & creased air bubbles
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 13 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Prue, for your recommendation. I will definitely take your advice. It's a great CDV, but it's not family, so I've arranged to return it. It had too many bubbles in it to repair without removing the print completely and reapplying it.

Thanks again!
M