Author Topic: John Mara/O'Mara  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Billycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mara/O'Mara
« on: Wednesday 30 January 13 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
still seeking desperatly any information regarding John Mara (O'Mara) convicted at Longford in December 1850 for stealing two quarters of flour. Then held for three years at Newgate, Dublin until
sailing as a convict to Western Australia on The Phoebe Dunbar.
He was around twenty at conviction. He changed his name to O'Mara once free.
His mother may have been a Margaret Flyn but that is unconfirmed.
If no one has any information I would love advice on where to look next. Trial papers or where I might find letters to him in Dublin (although a slim shot as he was illiterate.) Some of his children  born here were called John, William, Margaret, Clara, just in case that helps.
Thanks in anticipation.

Moderator Note - topic split from : Entire 1790 Longford Voters List transcribed

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Mara/O'Mara
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 13 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you marriage and death certs for your John ?
You generally require a bit more detail to start a search for early records like this - e.g. his approximate year of birth, some family details (parents are included on certain Australian certs), and usually also require a more detailed place of birth, i.e. the name of the town, townland or parish this [O']Mara family lived.

Note the O' prefix on surnames could be added or dropped at various times. Also bear in mind that the surname may be spelt [O']Meara

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

There seems to be two references to your John on the Ireland Australia Transportation database  at the National Archives of Ireland. This is a finding aid for the few Transportation details that have survived in Ireland. These documents only cover limited dates, and generally these relate to appeals etc.

1. Name : John Mara
    Trial location : Longford
    Trial date: 30 Dec 1850
    Crime : Burglary
    Sentence: Transportation 10 years
    Document Ref:  TR 11, p 112.

2. Name : John Mara
    Trial place: Longford
    Trial date: 30 Dec 1850
    Crime : Burglary
    Sentence: Transportation 10 years
    Ship: Phobe Dunbar
    Document Ref: TR 10, p 177.

There should be at least some details surviving for the references mentioned - although these might just be a mention of this John on a list. The documents are not online and are held by the National Archives in Dublin, so a visit by yourself or a researcher would be required to access these.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Billycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 February 13 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. That is definetly him and I did find that information.  I wondered if I paid for a researcher in Ireland to go and see these records if it will give me any more information about him or not. Such as place of birth (trial was Longford but not necessarily from there) his parents names.
I also wondered if it is possible to see the actual transcripts of his trial in Longford and if that tells you anything. Otherwise I guess it ends here.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 February 13 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes any appeals documents can mention family as they may include details from letters, dependants, elderly family members etc..  Trials were sometimes mentioned in local newspapers, but often the details are very basic unless it was a very serious crime, sometimes only the surnames of the accused.

Other the the records mentioned on the index above very few other records relating to transportation or the trails survive at this end.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline PLConquest

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 13 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
John Mara is in my tree as he is my Great Great Grandfather. I have his parents listed as John and Margaret (Flynn). I have him listed as having 8 children and living in Guildford.

My tree is available on Genes Reunited - if you have access send a request. Pther you can email me at:  (*) for further info.

all the best

Peter Conquest (son of Daphne Joan O'Mara).

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php