Author Topic: Marriage of Morgan Morgans to Sarah Thomas  (Read 2603 times)

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Marriage of Morgan Morgans to Sarah Thomas
« on: Thursday 31 January 13 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Morgan Morgans lived at Llettyllwynde farm Llanybydder but I have been unable to find this marriage in Carmarthenshire. As the area borders on Cardiganshire I am wondering if the marriage may be recorded there. The Morgans family had links to Llanfihangle Rhos y Corn and many are buried in the churchyard there. Morgan and Sarah's first four childrens baptism records can be found under Lampeter but their remaining children are not recorded.
I shall be grateful for any help.
Thank you,
MEN

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Morgan Morgans to Sarah Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 13 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Any clues? Like dates? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 January 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes I should have given possible dates !! I would say around 1816 as the first child I have been able to find was Margaret (baptised Oct 1817)
Thank you,
MEN

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 February 13 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 13 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey,
Thank you for your reply - this is the marriage I am looking at and the only one I can find for a Morgan Morgans married to Sarah within the time frame. However, Sarah's father, as I have said, was Evan Thomas.I am aware that her name may have been Sarah Evan/s (the dreaded patronymics!!). I am now trying to prove that this is the genuine marriage and as such I am trying to find the abodes of residents who are witnesses.
Thomas Evans     Gefnffordd  (I thought that this might be Sarah's brother)
John James         Pwllrynwyd

I cannot find these abodes in Llanybydder,so am unsure how to proceed - it could be another of my brick walls.
Again many thanks for your response to my post,
Regards,
MEN

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 February 13 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I have an index of South Wales marriages for that period, and I can't see another likely marriage. I've looked under Morgan & Morgans. Also, I would say that is rather late for a patronymic. I wonder if it could be that Sarah was illegitimate. That might explain her marriage to a much older man who signed by mark, while she signed her name. If you've seen the copy of the register, have you noticed the note at the bottom -  a transcript delivered to court by the vicar? Wonder what the reason for that could be?

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 February 13 13:42 GMT (UK) »
ignore my comment about the transcript going to the court, I've spotted it elsewhere on the register and it's a note of the BTs being sent.

::)

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 February 13 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey,

I don't have the index of South Wales marriages but this one does seem to tie in with dates (Margaret, their daughter was born around 1817) Thank you for looking. I still think Sarah Evans could be a patronymic, bearing in mind that her father was Evan Thomas. Evan's death was recorded at the Morgans' farm Llettllywynde, Llanybydder in 1820. Of course It may be that initially this was  Evan Thomas's farm and that Sarah continued to live there with Morgan after her marriage . Sarah's second marriage , after the death of Morgan Morgans, also shows a patronymic in that John Davies's father was David Jones - they certainly didn't keep things simple!

It is always good to have other peoples input since it enables one to look at things from a different perspective, so many thanks for your thoughts. It seems to me that a lot more 'delving' needs to be done.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 February 13 18:27 GMT (UK) »
a while ago I asked the lovely people at Cardiganshire Record Office about the likelihood of patronymics being used in the 1790s. They seemed to think this was rather late. Looks like it could be the case for your families, though. As you say, it doesn't make you easy researching.

You may have found this already, the Llanybydder parish marriages 1754-1837 have been transcribed for FreeReg, but not the baptisms as yet.