Author Topic: the leech family  (Read 3599 times)

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
the leech family
« on: Friday 01 February 13 10:50 GMT (UK) »
thomas leech arrived in canada in 1910 with his family from ireland, his wife was named ellen and his children were elizabeth age 32, elenor age30, louisa age 26, florence age 18, rhoda age 15. william came later. i am looking for any information on any of the children or on any of the family. they arrived in toronto. any help with these people is very welcome, thank you in advance, tom

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: the leech family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 February 13 11:25 GMT (UK) »
hi Tom
Thomas Leech died 6.11.1926 age 77 and 9 months born Dublin at 475 Delleware Court shoemaker 16 years in Canada.Parents William Leech and Eliza Ellis both born Ireland.Wife Ellen .Buried 8.11.1926 Prospect Cemetary by Stonehouse and son of 899 Bloor St.Died of mycardilitas  9.10.1926-3.11.1926.
Marriages for some of the daughters.
Rhoda Gertrude Leech 24  d of Thomas Leech  and Ellen Smith Dellaware Court  15.6.1921 York to Frank Stevens 22 baker born Lee Kent s of Frances Samuel Stevens and Mary Ann Brown.(salvation army wedding)
Florence Emily 1.1.1916 York age 24 to John James Mckay 26 soldier born Birmingham s of Isaac McKay and Elizabeth Steventon. Brethern
Louisa 26 15.6.1911 York married Thomas Arthur Stork 23 bookeeper  so Thomas sowerby and Elizabeth Steburson.  Brethren
Deaths stop at 1930 so Ellen probably died after that.
Ciderdrinker

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 February 13 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for (and found) the family in the 1911 Canadian census?
www.automatedgenealogy.com
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 February 13 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes 1911
1 Palmerston square Ontario
Thomas Leech 60 april arr 1910 Ireland Canadain Brethern shoemaker
Ellen 55  Sept same
Elizabeth 33 aug arr 1908  tailoress
Eleanor 31 Nov  same nurse
Louisa 26 Feb  same dressmaker
Florence 18  Aug  arr 1910 stenographer
Rhoda 15  Dec  same tailoress
Ciderdrinker

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 February 13 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Mrs. Ellen Leach d. 09 Feb 1934 resident of 109 Wallace St. Toronto (home of her son-in-law John McKay who was the informant).  She had been at that address for 16 months, widowed, b. Sept 28 no year given, age 80, born Ireland, d/o John Smith of Ireland and mother's name not known but of ireland.  Buried Prospect Cemetery. 

Perhaps her two eldest daughters are also buried in Prospect Cemetery.  The Toronto Star - Pages of the Past - is a searchable newspaper database which costs very little for a few hours subscription.  It might prove useful to find more information about this family if they stayed in the Toronto area.

An online tree indicates that Frank Stevens died 04 Oct 1980 but doesn't state where.  Nothing entered for wife Rhoda as to death.  One son listed but that infomation was private.

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 February 13 20:08 GMT (UK) »
thank you,cosmac and ciderdrinker for your help,very very helpful,the more i find out about my family the more i find out how many emmigrated.there was also a son william leech.he returned to ireland in the 1920s,he was a civil servant in ireland before independance in 1922.we know he arrived in canada in 1923,and used his parents address as a place of residence.would it be possible to ask if you could find anything on him,thank you very much in advance,tom

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 February 13 20:49 GMT (UK) »
If your William is William John Leech b. 1882 there is a Form 30A arrival form for him showing him going to his parents in Toronto.  Accompanying him (each person has their separate form) is his wife Eleanor Elizabeth, 39, b. Ashton-U-Lyne and his two sons - W.W. Leech b. 1913 Dublin and L.S. Leech b. 1917 Dublin.  Will send full names by PM.

This same family unit returns to Ireland arriving 08 Dec 1923 on the Montlaurier.  They show their intention to live in Northern Ireland.

William John arrives in Canada July 1927 on the Doric going to his parents house and gives his cousin W.A. McClean of Dublin as his British contact.
William John arrives in Canada 14 Jun 1930 on the Albertic accompanied by his oldest son going to his mother's house and gives his wife, Eleanor, as his British contact in Belfast.

There are marriages in Dublin for W.W. Leech and a L. Leech - perhaps the sons.

There is also a passenger list for Thomas and Louisa Stork returning to 245 Concord Ave. Toronto on the Duchess of Bedford 12 Oct 1935.  His occupation is minister.

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 February 13 05:52 GMT (UK) »
thank you cosmac and cider drinker,very useful information and pointing me in the right direction,it will keep me busy for awhile,tom

Offline Shirley S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 October 13 03:59 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother was Rhoda Gertude (Leech) Stevens born December 29, 1894, I'll have to check her death date.  She married Frank Stevens on June 15, 1921 and lived in Toronto, ON for the remainder of her life.  They had one son (my father) Wilfred Frank Stevens born June 1, 1924 Died December 15, 2011. Wilfred Stevens married Joan Teresa Keough June 16, 1951 and had six children - Roger, Dennis, Shirley, Richard, Douglas and Robert.  I'll check with my mother as my  father has quite a bit of information on the Leech family.  Will update when I get further info.