Author Topic: Greenock stowaways 1868 - abandoned barefoot on the ice fields of Newfoundland  (Read 13395 times)

Offline AbroadintheYard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The true story of 7 boys from Greenock, who stowed away in the ship 'Arran’ bound for Quebec in 1868.  On discovering the boys in the ship's hold, the captain and first mate subjected them to the most brutal treatment during the voyage, then put them ashore on the ice fields of Newfoundland and left them to their fate.

http://www.abroadintheyard.com/tragic-arran-stowaways-1868/

You may recognise some of the names and addresses of the time.

Offline PaulFamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you for posting this story.  John Paul was my Great Great Grandfather.  I have been researching my family tree on and off for about 7 years.   My father, was named after his Great Grandfather and used to tell us this true story when we were children.  It's such a sad tragic story but also one of such bravery and strength.  I am proud to be a descendant of John Paul. 

I would love to connect with any family members and I would also love to find more information on this story. If anyone has any information, please contact me. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Nancy

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Nancy,  I read this a while back on the online archive of the Greenock Telegraph at the Watt Library.

http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/education-and-learning/libraries/local-and-family-history/family-history/

Skoosh.

Offline PaulFamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Skoosh,

Thank you for that information.  I'm actually in America, my father moved to the states in 1958.  I did live in England for about 5 years - in which that is when I started doing my family tree project.   I wish I did live back over there because I didn't have as much info back then as I do now and I would love to be able to spend time researching right there in Scotland. 

I've mostly used Scotlandspeople website for all my help.  Great website but costly.  I do have a full world membership with Ancestry but don't have much luck finding info on there.  I did find some living relatives so that was worth the membership cost.  I'm hoping to find more.

I just did the DNA project a couple of months ago and not really sure what to expect from that just yet.   Still learning what it all means, etc.

The Paul family was a very large family and we now live all over the world.  I really do enjoy working on the tree but i'm now at a point where I keep hitting brick walls.

The story of the Greenock Stowaways is one of the things that I try to find more information on.  There was a huge court case about it but only can find certain info on the court case online. 

It's exciting and I love every minute of it.  Hopefully I will get back over to Scotland so I can do some more research.

Thank you for your information.  Much appreciated. 

Nancy

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Nancy,  Black's "Surnames of Scotland" has Paul as a name of considerable antiquity in the parish of Daviot also found in the parish of Fintry, 1654.
 Found also in the Lothians & Fife where it is considered, by family tradition to be of Flemish origin, which he doubts.
Robert Paul, councillor, Stirling, 1528.
Patrick Paule, witness, Tuliboill? 1546.
Janet Paule, Edinburgh, 1659.
Alexander Paull, mercator, Elgin, 1696.
Gaelic form MacPhail, also Polson.

Skoosh.

Offline PaulFamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HI Skoosh,

Thats interesting information.  I haven't come across that before.  I'm struggling to find some records in the 1700's and wow you have info earlier than that.  It would be nice to find a connection. Robert and Alexander are very common names in my family that have been carried on for generations.  Thanks for your help. 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Nancy,  have you tried the national archives,   http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue

Skoosh.

Offline PaulFamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Greenock stowaways 1868 - abandoned barefoot on the ice fields of Newfoundland
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 July 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
Nancy,  have you tried the national archives,   http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue

Skoosh.

Many years ago I did but actually haven't been on that for some time now.  Going to check it out again.  Thank you. 

My brick wall is trying to find John Paul (stowaway) his grandparents.  They were:

John Paul born abt 1801 married Margaret Hamilton born abt. 1808 both born in Ireland???? (can't find anything in Scotland and a census record shows Margaret born in Ireland.)

Married in Ireland or Scotland? about 1834?

Children:

James born about 1830 perhaps in Ireland?

Robert born about 1835 in Greenock Scotland?  (John Paul  stowaway - his dad is Robert)
Robert died in 1911 in Lochgoilhead, Scotland.  (have this info but can't find birth)

I'm sure there are more children but struggling with finding them without the rest of the info.

Offline LibHastings

• RootsChat Member
  • NSW - Australia
    • View Profile
Hi Nancy,

I'm also descended from one of the stowaways; David Brand who was my great great grandfather also.

Yes, I agree whole heartedly that it was a sad tragic story but also one of such bravery and strength.

I was contacted some years back by a lady who was also a great grand-daughter of John "wee Pauly" Paul. I will PM or email you the details.

Libby
ENGLAND
Essex - ALGAR, KETLEY
Durham - ASHMORE, TODD,  WALKER
Kent - CHEESEMAN
Worc/Staff - BRADLEY
also WILBY

SCOTLAND
Perth, Renfrew, Stirling - BRAND
also GRAY, MICKLEJOHN,  CRAWFORD, CHRISTIE