Author Topic: Greenock stowaways 1868 - abandoned barefoot on the ice fields of Newfoundland  (Read 13370 times)

Offline PaulFamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Nancy,

I'm also descended from one of the stowaways; David Brand who was my great great grandfather also.

Yes, I agree whole heartedly that it was a sad tragic story but also one of such bravery and strength.

HI Libby,

So nice to hear from another descendant. :)   I so agree with you about the story being of bravery and strength.  I remind myself that all time when things get a bit rough.  I am always saying to family members that we get our strength from our GG-Grandfather John.   It's a proud feeling to know that he survived and I am here today because of that.

I got your PM and wrote back.  Thank you again.   

Nancy

Offline StowawayDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenock stowaways 1868 - abandoned barefoot on the ice fields of Newfoundland
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 January 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Nancy, if you are still here on the site, John Paul is my great great grandfather.

Offline PaulFamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Greenock stowaways 1868 - abandoned barefoot on the ice fields of Newfoundland
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 January 17 22:20 GMT (UK) »
HI There,

Just got your message. Would love to chat with you. 

Offline PaulFamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 January 17 22:24 GMT (UK) »
HI There,

Just got your message. Would love to chat with you.  I have a facebook family tree page.  Just look up PaulFamilyTree on facebook and you should find it. :)

Offline StowawayDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 January 17 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nancy, just got your message and added you to FB (I think)... It looked about right at least. John (stowaway) had a son, Robert, who had several children (mum can recount names better than me). One of those children was Lilian (Lily to friends and family). Lily was my nan, she had 2 children, my mum and my uncle.

Offline LibHastings

• RootsChat Member
  • NSW - Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 January 17 09:09 GMT (UK) »
I'd love to join your FB group too. I sent a request to your page (pretty sure it's the right one).

I also received an email from a Faye who said: could pop them (Nancy or the other Paul relative) a message to say another family member had surfaced. Also you all may find a book by my 2nd cousin interesting

I've read The Brats. Great book. Very true to life I think.

Libby
ENGLAND
Essex - ALGAR, KETLEY
Durham - ASHMORE, TODD,  WALKER
Kent - CHEESEMAN
Worc/Staff - BRADLEY
also WILBY

SCOTLAND
Perth, Renfrew, Stirling - BRAND
also GRAY, MICKLEJOHN,  CRAWFORD, CHRISTIE

Offline cpepelepue

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all, my cousin's husband was related to one of these boys I will have to try and find out which one. I know he said the boys who survived were given special watches as a sort of 'compensation' for what they went through.
Claire

Offline LibHastings

• RootsChat Member
  • NSW - Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all, my cousin's husband was related to one of these boys I will have to try and find out which one. I know he said the boys who survived were given special watches as a sort of 'compensation' for what they went through.
Claire

Hi Claire

Would love to know when you find out.

Libby
ENGLAND
Essex - ALGAR, KETLEY
Durham - ASHMORE, TODD,  WALKER
Kent - CHEESEMAN
Worc/Staff - BRADLEY
also WILBY

SCOTLAND
Perth, Renfrew, Stirling - BRAND
also GRAY, MICKLEJOHN,  CRAWFORD, CHRISTIE

Offline PaulFamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
HI Claire,

I would love to learn more too.  My GG Grandfather was John Paul.  Please get in touch.    (Hi Libby)  :) :)