Author Topic: Old Kilbride Cemetery ,Arklow.  (Read 12111 times)

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Kilbride Cemetery ,Arklow.
« on: Sunday 03 February 13 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Has anyone in their research come across a burial book or the transcription of for Old Kilbride  Cemetery in Arklow. Looking across the internet one is lead to believe that the Burial Register 1835 to 1885 does exist for the graveyard and has been transcribed. I am interested in the surnames Smith and Parker that are on a list of names associated with the register if anyone has any information.

John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Old Kilbride Cemetery ,Arklow.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Since posting looking for information as to a Burial Register for Old Kilbride Cemetery I have come across an article in the Arklow Historical Society Journal 1990-1991 that states that new Kilbride was not used as a burial ground until 1877. The article on New Kilbride Church was written by local historian Pat Power. I am open to correction here but I presume that any burials recorded in the Burial Register for Kilbride up until 1877 would have taken place at Old Kilbride Cemetery and if that is the case I have seen what I have actually been looking for. While the Registers for Kilbride are still kept in local custody, copies are to be found in The National Archives on microfilm.

John.
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 18:49 GMT (UK) »
John,
Try Catherine Write Wicklow Co. Co. 

Regards, Maeve
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 13 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maeve.

Thanks for getting back to me. I spoke to Catherine along time back but never followed it up with her about Old Kilbride. I originally came across a list of names at Rootsweb for Old Kilbride at http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ireland-cemeteries/2006-01/1137929683  I tried seeking more information here but to no avail. I thought Arklow Library might of had a copy of Pat Power's work here, but they did'nt.

John.

Offline brinyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Alexander McIntosh, one of my ancesters is buried there so I would be most grateful for any information. Also I have had no luck in finding marriage details of Maria Christina McIntosh and James Bready in Arklow in 1843.
Apparently on Findmypast there is a collection of transcripts of gravestone at Old Kilbride Cemetery but it was not workingproperly when I tried. I will let you know if I have success.

Brian

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian.

Although I subscribe to Findmypast I didn't have a look there but presume their transcription for Old Kilbride for McIntosh is from Brian Cantwells works. His transcription is as follows.

McIntosh, Alexander. Two headstones side by side, A) left , B) right.

A) Erected to the memory of/ Alexander McIntosh of Helton/ who died 28th of Apr 1863 aged 80 years/ also his wife Anna/ who died 28th June 1840 aged 44 years/ and also their daughter Christina (n.d.)

B) Erected to Hanna McIntosh/ in memory of her beloved husband Alexander McIntosh who departed this life 20th march 1871 aged 4(5) years/ also his sister Anna Kearon who departed/ this life 24 June 1883/ aged 48 years.

I am not sure if Old Kilbride has been cleaned up or it was only been talked about. If it was cleaned up and easily accessible , from talking to the ladies involved with the IGP for Wicklow it would be an interesting project for them. Unfortunately the names I am interested in are not showing up with Brian Cantwell here and it is the actual Burial Registers I am interested in.

John.

Offline Charw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 April 13 18:23 BST (UK) »
I am also interested in the Old Kilbride Burial Register.  I have family buried there as well, Beatty, Sherwood and Smith and possibly others. 

Cheers

Charlene

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 April 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlene.

Have you had a look at Brian Cantwell's transcriptions. For Old Kilbride he has a couple of transcriptions for Beattie and quite a few for Sherwood. No Smiths mentioned at all. Any harm to ask who your Smith family is that is buried here.

John.

Offline Charw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
John:

I did check his listings sometime ago, should do that again.  I am researching Jane Smith who married Daniel Beatty in Arklow, Wicklow.  Difficult name to research as that is all I know about Jane.  I do know that they married in Arklow and lived for a time in Kilcarra.  They were neighbors at some point of a Thomas Smith.  Not a lot to go on I'm afraid so looking for anything I can.  They moved to Canada in 1818 whilst Daniel's brother and his family remained in Shelton, Wicklow.  Looking for any Beattys in the area as well.

Charlene