Author Topic: Griffiths in Llansamlet  (Read 7338 times)

Offline Cowpost1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cnap Coch
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 January 16 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
No idea if you are still using this site, but wanted to ask if you still live in the area? Or, do you know why I can find more info about many (aporox 100+) copper smelter workers recruited by my ancestor to go to Canton (Baltimore) Maryland, USA to work in the copperworks there in the 1840s? My ancestor, David Davies/David was hired first and was a superintendent of the works in Baltimore, so I assume he had a position of authority in Wales, too. Or, is there any mention of this exodus?

I think I located his wife, Mary/Mary Ann) and a couple kids in Cnap Coch in 1841, and several baptisms and a marriage at St Thomas between 1787-1826, so far.

I am planning a research trip later this spring and want to have as much info as possible beforehand.

Thank you!

Mona

Hi,

Just a little bit of information that may help as i was born and raised in Pentrechwyth.

Pentrechwyth does indeed start at the school and runs down as far as white rock where it joins Foxhole road. Nearly all of the houses there go back to the dates of the old Grenfell and Vivian owners and works. Pentrechwyth includes the roads of Grenfell Town, Riffleman's Row and Taplow Terrace, which are up on the hill behind the bus stop. Old Terraces/Roads around Pentrechwyth include Cuba Row, Caepstyll Row and Cnap-Goch - which was indeed between Pentrechwyth and the old Tregwl of Foxhole and St Thomas. Pentrechwyth also at times in the 1800's was written down as being part of St Thomas. Most people in the area would have gone to Llansamlet Church or its sister church of Kilvey, so if you're looking to go back further i think this parish would be my first port of call. There are also methodist and Baptist churches less than a 5 - 10 min walk away. Cwm methodist, Cannan Chapple, Bethal Chapple and Adulam.

Pentrechwyth is often mis-spealt in documents as Pentre-chwech and Pentre-six, but i'm told by the very old generation that the correct spelling is Pentrechwyth - meaning windy village or windy village on the left.

The upper bank-lower bank railway line ruin was still there in parts (just below old Morris Brother's Site, at the bottom of the public foot bridge running from Pentrechwyth Village Road down to the Tennis Centre and Morfa Park. But currently it has been cleared for a new housing development unfortunately.

If you come across any more roads or villages around the area that quite often don't appear on maps (experiance from my own searches) please ask and if i can help will be glad to do so.

Hope this helps,

Pedro

Offline John Townsend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths in Llansamlet
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 January 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Grosehodge mentioned above (in Reply #17) that Francis Nethersole married Margaret Owen(s). His sister, Frances Ada Nethersole, also married an Owen, Henry James Owen.  Was he related to Margaret, or is it coincidence?  I understand him to have been a solicitor, of New Inn, London.

I have a very longstanding interest in Howard Staunton, so I would be very interested for any more information about the "consternation" concerning Francis Nethersole's marriage to Margaret.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 January 17 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, the marriage of Francis Nethersole :-

Francis Nethersole 33 Widower occ Accountant address 2, Brunswick Street,  Swansea Father William Dickinson Nethersole occ Solicitor
Margaret Owen 22 Spinster address Foxhole Father Owen Owen occ Foreman in Copperworks
18th October 1864 Glantawe
Keyboard86

EDIT Owen Owens married Mary David 24th October 1829 Llansamlet, no baptism of a Henry James Owen/s, who married 1854 Strand to Frances A Nethersole, Frances Ada Owen died September qtr 1856 Kensington 1a 34 aged 24

Re Howard Staunton, the classic chess pieces on my board/coffee table as I type!
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 January 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi no it is purely a coincidence as 1861:-

Henry James Owen 40 occ? Solicitor b Bawtry, Yorks
Elizabeth 27 b Clapham
Mary Owen 70 Mother b Birmingham
Henry 6 b Kensington ( son of Henry & Frances, Male Owen December qtr 1854 Kensington 01A 67 mmn Nethersole)
Harold Charles Cunliffe Owen 1 b Kensington mmn Teague
Residing at St Albans Road, Kensington
Census ref RG09/19/119/44

Marriage Henry James Owen to Elizabeth Anne Teague December qtr 1857 Lambeth 1d 375

Baptism Henry James Owen 12th March 1820 Bawtry, Yorkshire Father James Gunter Owen Mother Mary
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John Townsend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, keyboard86, for your two posts and for the information.