Author Topic: Widnes R.C. Cemetery - ca 1892  (Read 4412 times)

Offline vruffin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Widnes R.C. Cemetery - ca 1892
« on: Sunday 03 February 13 16:54 GMT (UK) »
My Crilly , Elizabeth and husband, Robert where living at:
59 Warrington Road, Widnes in the 1891 Census
(indexed as Grilley by Ancestry).

Death:   Elizabeth Crilly age 38? March Qtr 1893 Prescot Reg District Vol 8b Page 482  (I believe this is the death, although I'm trying to figure out for sure if this is my Elizabeth, since I was also following another one recently.    I believe Widnes would have been in the Prescot registration dist.

Can anyone help me with which area of the city, this address may have been?

From reading an earlier post, I believe the 3 R.C. churches (2 seemed to have cemeteries) at that time would be:
1)St Bede, Appleton Village
2)St Marie, Lugsdale Rd, 1865 (This one doesn't have a cemetery)
3)St Patrick, West Bank St, founded 1888

Thank you for your suggestions, and where a church record might be for this burial.
Virginia

Offline jangeo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Widnes R.C. Cemetery - ca 1892
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 13 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Warrington Road started at the foot of what was Lugsdale Bridge and ran up to Dans Road which was then the outskirts of Widnes.

Number 59 has long since gone a quick look at google maps puts the first house on the uneven side of the road as 183,so I would assume that 59 was between Lugsdale Bridge and the corner of Tan House Lane.The area name at this point on the road was called Lugsdale, as the road progressed it was then called Marrowbone and then finally Halton View.

The RC graveyard would have been St Bedes, St Maries and St Patricks did not have one. St Bedes graveyard is a closed one so any records I should imagine would be held at the presbytery

Hope the information helps
Geoff W
Tambling-Runcorn //  Widnes // Woolton // Charlestown
Wycherley-Widnes // Shropshire
Kenyon-Widnes
Havard-Garston // Widnes // Portsmouth
Blackmore-Widnes // Barnstaple
Edwards-Therfield // Warrington // Toxteth

Offline vruffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 February 13 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  This is so helpful to be able to know where to look on the maps.  Robert was a Chemical Laborer, so the Industry was probably near that neighborhood as well.
Now at least I have a pretty good idea about which Cemetery Elizabeth Crilly was buried in, and I can hopefully locate some records.   Really do appreciate your time and sharing your knowledge.

Offline jangeo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 13 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Happy that the information was OK.

I did check the burial records for Widnes Cemetery but there are no burial records showing for your family name, so it is safeto assume that they would have been intered at St Bedes. With what I have learned you might have difficulty getting information from the Church.

Were your relative lived in Warrington Road he would have been living very close to chemical factories.If you want to know more what the working conditions were like there is a book that you can download from the internet archive, The White Slaves of England by Robert H  Sherard,it covers the chemical industries of Widnes and St Helens.

Hope this helps

Geoff W

Kenyon-Widnes

Offline vruffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 13 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Your information is much more than "o.k.' --- it had broadened my knowledge of the entire area so much. I am so glad to learn of the book you mentioned, as Robert Crilly worked in St. Helens earlier as a Chemical Laborer, and his father worked as a Copper laborer.

His father was born in Ireland and came over at least by 1838 when he married in St. Helens.  I've always wondered how the Irish were treated, but I'm sure lived in neighborhoods, and were important as a labor force for industry at that time.

All the family came to USA by 1870's, and were coal miners over here.  I'm so happy to be able to learn more about them in Lancashire.  You've been so helpful.
Virginia (Texas USA)

Offline jangeo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 February 13 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Ties in nicely St Helens was the first to start in the area in chemicals and coalmining Widnes was still a backwater until about 1843 when the chemical industry moved here. The demand for labour brought a great influx of people seeking work, The Irish settled in Moss Bank which is not far from Warrington Road. The Polish,Lithuanians , Russians and Welsh settled in other areas of the town, eventually they all merged and made Widnes.

If I can help any further please let me know.

Geoff W
Kenyon-Widnes

Offline JACFT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile