Author Topic: Woodcroft in Leek  (Read 13273 times)

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcroft in Leek
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Andavid, both sec3mitchdr and I have been working together on this, off forum,  in an attempt to identify these properties there seems no doubt that there were two houses, one called Woodcroft which was built for Henry Davenport and Woodcroft House/Grange which seem to be the same property variously described. Could you assist by indicating where your picture came from in an attempt to provide providence.
We have a good photograph of Woodcroft and it is clearly not the one you kindly posted, leaving the question is yours Woodcroft Grange.

Boy Scout
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 October 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you are still interested in Woodcroft but in this week's edition of the Leek Post and Times there is a 3 page article about Woodcroft. I think you have a good knowledge of the history of the house but there are some photos taken of the rear of the property and of the ruins of the tennis pavilion etc. I had a look to see if the article was online but unfortunately I couldn't find it. However, if you want to know more details, I'm happy for you to get in touch
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Jane Alicia Cooney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hello, Iīd be very interested in seeing the article in the Leek Post and Times. I am a descendant of Henry Davenport, he was my great great grandfather. His daughter Minnie was my great grandmother. My parents have a family book called "Woodcroft" commissioned by Henry with photos of the family outside as well as photos of the inside of the house and grounds. As you say Henry died young and the house was left to his son Fred, who was killed in the First World War. I believe his wife sold the property after his death. As far as the family fortune, I know nothing of it...except that much was lost during the Great Depression.
Henryīs wife/widow was Eliza Hassell/Hassal (sp?). I canīt seem to find out much about her family, any information would be welcome!

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 22 October 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane
Welcome to Rootschat.  The book you have sounds very interesting.  I'm sure that there are some people on this particular forum would be really interested to see some of those pictures.  I don't know if the article about Woodcroft will be on the onLine version of the paper, but I'm quite happy to send you a copy through the post.  This forum doesn't allow anyone to post their personal details but if you post 2 more replies, I will be able to send you a personal message.
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 22 October 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you, thatīs sounds interesting. I imagine it might be possible to take a photo of the article and send it as an attachment here?

This is my first reply!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 22 October 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
I live in Spain, but my parents have a copy of the book at their home in the UK. Iīll be visiting them next month and could take photos of the Woodcroft album on my phone, download them onto the computer and send them as attachments here perhaps.

This is my second reply!!

Offline sec3mitchdr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 22 October 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
It was me who started the Woodcroft posts and I have sent you a Personal Message (I hope!).  Henry Davenport's mother, Carolyn Osborne was a relative of mine so I guess we are some kind of distant cousins.  Is the Woodcroft booklet a one-off or do others exist?  I have a lot of info on the Davenports which I would be happy to share with you.  I am in contact with Neil Collingwood who is responsible for the Post and Times article and he and I would love to see your 'Woodcroft'  publication.  We would willingly pay for a commercial copy to be made or travel to where your parents live in order to scan the document - we really, really would like to see the publication.  Hope we can work something out.
sec3mitchdr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 23 October 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hello there David, I sent an email reply to your private message last night, I hope you received it! The Woodcroft album is definitely not a booklet, as it was produced in the late 19th century and is large and weighty. I am happy to send photos of the pages of the album when I see my parents next month.

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:55 GMT (UK) »
It is now well over 4 years since the start of this topic. Much has been done off forum, in short it has been established that there were in fact two Woodcroft houses in Leek, one known as simply Woodcroft, which was built for Henry Davenport of Wardle & Davenport of Leek and his family. The other which is the Mock-Tudor building being built for William Prince and his family, silk manufacturers, also of Leek. With the prospect of more pictures of Woodcroft coming soon I thought that I would share a couple of pictures that have recently been discovered of Woodcroft Grange and the Shorter family mentioned in this topic.
These were discovered by the family of a lady who was a servant at Woodcroft Grange, Rose Annie Braddock Sellers, who worked there at the time of the Shorter family being in residence. Rose is the person shown, in uniform, outside the house, this picture gives a close up of the architecture of the house.
The second again gives an idea and close up of the structure of the building. The people depicted are Myrtle Shorter and Herbert Charles Sydney Perry. This couple marry in 1929. Herbert is a descendent of the Depree family and the Fynney family also mentioned in this topic. He is a cousin to the Prince family who, as previously mentioned, built this house.

Boy Scout
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa