Author Topic: Albert Lovell, Grandson of Katie Lovell Flower Seller Chiswick area  (Read 10593 times)

Offline Kar.Ma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Lovell, Grandson of Katie Lovell Flower Seller Chiswick area
« on: Monday 04 February 13 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, searching for any information on the family of Lovells, my Father-In-Law is Albert Lovell (born 1924), he and his brother John Lovell (born abt 1915) and Amelia  (sister) were born in Middlesex, to Maud Mary Ilsley, his Father was John Lovell, there were also half sister's Queenie and Phoebe Lovell. Albert's Grandmother was Katie Lovell and she was a flower seller in the Chiswick area, these were a Romany family, so no birth certificates, they were in the Ealing, Chiswick area, long shot, but there may be someone who reads this and these names may ring bells. My husband and I would be grateful if anyone has any information relating to them. we are doing this for Bert.

Many thanks

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Lovell, Grandson of Katie Lovell Flower Seller Chiswick area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 13 12:19 GMT (UK) »
These are my Middlesex LOVELLs. (The numbers in square brackets refer to the current Borough.) There is probably a generation missing between these finds and your own earliest search and LMA data could be fill in the gaps.

MDX[9] Acton St Mary bp22/7/1821 (b9/7) Drusilla d/o John/Unetta, Gipsey of A.

MDX[7] Bloomsbury St George bp31/12/1813 (b12/12) John s/o Uriah/Agnes, cutler of Streatham, B.St.G.

MDX[18] Chiswick Christchurch bp3/2/1855 (b25/1) Constance d/o Riley/Caroline, lab of Turnham Green [LOVEL sic]

MDX[18] Chiswick Christchurch bp9/11/1856 (b16/10) Laura May Frances d/o Riley/Caroline, lab of Turnham Green [LOVEL sic]

MDX[18] Chiswick St Nicholas bp10/2/1849 (b28/1) Henrietta d/o Raleigh(?)/Caroline, brazier

MDX[18] Chiswick St Nicholas bp14/6/1846 (b1/6) Keziah d/o Lalla (Riley)/Caroline, brazier

MDX[13] Hammersmith (Shepherd’s Bush) St Stephen bp11/5/1862 (b18/4) Ada d/o Uriah/Marian, trav (Gypsy) of Latymer Road [LOVEL sic]

MDX[7] Holborn St Giles bp22/3/1813 Louisa d/o Thomas/Union, ch.matter of Lascelles Ct.

MDX[7] Holborn St Giles bp20/5/1814 Sarah d/o James/Linety, tinker of 3, New Street

MDX[7] Holborn St Giles bp31/7/1815 Major s/o Thomas/Susanna, knf.gr of Compton Place, St Pancras

MDX[7] Holborn St Giles bp26/5/1816 Angelina d/o Thomas/Catherine, knf.gr of 4, Blackhorse Rd., Cleveland St., St Pancras

MDX[7] Holborn St Giles bp31/8/1918 Charles John, bb s/o -/Ruth, vagabond Gypsey of 7, New Bolton Street

MDX[7] Holborn St Giles bp4/4/1819 Soloman s/o Edward/Ann, ch.btr, Charles St. Drury Lane

MDX[7] Holborn St Giles bp22/8/1819 Edward s/o Uriah/Agnes, knf.gr of Bainbrigg Street

MDX[7] Holborn St Giles bp22/8/1820 Ann d/o Alexander/Ann, ch.mkr of 25, Cross Lane

MDX[7] Holborn St Giles bp8/1/1821 Agnes d/o William/Susannah, ch.mnd of 12, New St.

MDX[7] Holborn St Giles bp25/12/1821 Edwin s/o Thomas/Catherine, ch.btr of 48 Charles St

MDX[19] Islington St Mary bp15/9/1782 Mary d/o Solomon/Domonah (noi)

MDX[20] Kensington St James Norlands bp27/4/1856 Betsey d/o Robert/Sarah, lab, Potteries

MDX[20] Kensington St James Norlands bp27/4/1856 Robert s/o Robert/Sarah, lab, Potteries

MDX[20] Kensington St James Norlands bp27/4/1856 Edward s/o Robert/Sarah, lab Potteries

MDX[20] Kensington St James Norlands bp19/11/1858 Charlotte d/o Joseph/Elizabeth, dec’d of Mary Place

MDX[20] Kensington St James Norlands bp11/11/1866 Clara s/o Duriah/Mary Anne, trav of K.

MDX[20] Kensington St James Norlands bp1/11/1868 Mary Ann d/o Uriah/Mary Ann, trav

MDX[20] Kensington St James Norlands bp25/1/1874 Israel s/o Uriah/Mary Ann, ch.btr of 19, St Mary’s Place [BOSWELL sic]

MDX[20] Kensington St James Norlands bp26/3/1876 Thomas s/o James/Altialia, ch.cnr of 22, Bangor St

MDX[20] Kensington St James Norlands bp6/1/1878 Violetta d/o Uriah/Mary Ann, ch.cnr of 15, Martin St., Latimer Road [BOSWELL sic]

MDX[33] Marylebone St Mary bp7/8/1796 (b24/7) Ruth d/o Duriah/Elizabeth (noi)

MDX[7] St Pancras Old Church bp6/8/1815 Uriah s/o Uriah/Agnes, grinder of Conbtr Place

MDX[12] Shoreditch St Leonard bp27/7/1823 Letitia d/o John/Union, cutler, Crooked Billet Yd

MDX[14] Tottenham All Hallows bp13/4/1817 (b2/4) Thomas s/o Hezekiah/Mary, gipsy knf.gr

Offline Kar.Ma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 13 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, I have found them!!! The entire family lived in William Street and descended from Hezekiah Lovell (born 1774) Occ: Knife Grinder, he married a Mary.

They had Thomas born 1817  Thomas Lovell married Mary Ann.

They had Albert born 1855 Albert Lovell married Catherine Selina Lovell (Katie) The Catherine threw me out, but she is on a census named Kate Lovell  at William Street, Devonshire Rd, Chiswick, Middlesex.

They had John Lovell (Albert's Dad)

Just filling in the missing bits now, very grateful for your reply, must be a conncection there :)

Offline Kar.Ma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 February 13 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I meant to say there is a connection there (if I am reading it right, fairly new to this, so please bear with me).

So far have manged to build up quite a tree for Bert, they seem to have a number of occupations, which is so interesting.

Even more interesting was seeing that one of John's (Berts Father) occupations was a musciain, Bert also played (piano accordian and piano...left handed)  :)

It's certainly going to put a big smile on his face when we hand onver the completed tree, so thank you again!!!!!

Offline guymonde

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 September 13 21:17 BST (UK) »
You might be very interested in this....

http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.asp?section=community&link=http://appasp.ChiswickW4.com/server/app/forum/default.asp?site=1

There is still a Lovell's 'shop' on Chiswick High Road - you can see it on Google Earth between the Police staion and As Nature Intended

Offline StellaFielder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 June 14 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm not quite sure if I'm doing this correctly but here goes! I've been attempting to trace my grandmothers family who were Romany Gypsies. Her name was Elizabeth Lovell (Lizzie Lovell). I came upon roots chat by accident and read your message and couldn't believe what I read. I know of all the people you spoke of! I have a photo of Kate Lovell with her basket on my piano also one of her son John outside his house in Larraine Road Chiswick (he was my Dads grandad). In your message you mention Queenie and Phoebe! Sorry to say the name Queenie is wrong it's Lizzie and Phoebe two very young sisters who's mother had died leaving them with John their father but actually granny Kate (the flower seller) raised them.I just about remember Albert or Bert as you call him as a very you child, but remember his sister more because we used to visit sometime but we new her as aunt Millie. It would be great if you could reply I know it was back last year when you posted. Fingers crossed.

Offline saroma

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 00:52 BST (UK) »

Hello

I have just read your message and I am new to this site. I am one of (aunt) Millie's grandaughters. She spoke often of her life as a child and Pheobe & Lizzie. I took her to visit Lorraine Road at Strand-on-the-Green, Chiswick. She was always very proud of her Romany history. We lost our beloved nan in 2007. So glad we sat and listened to her talk about her memories of growing up in Chiswick. She told us her father (John) was very strict. She spoke of her brother, Bert and her brother who passed away very young. She was in contact with Bert throughout her life. John, Bert and Millie were/are very musical. Millie loved music and singing, Bert piano and accordian (?) and their father used to busk musically but never locally as he was a very proud man. I know the music continued down the line. I too have a photograph of Kate with a basket of flowers. We were in contact with Jaqueline in the US around 2006. I can't quite recall her connection to Phoebe/Lizzie but we had exchanged a couple of letters. : )

Offline StellaFielder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 August 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Saroma
So very sorry to hear of the loss of your Nan (my great aunt Millie). I often used to see her around the Brentford area waiting for a bus. I remember her wearing a red mac!  You must have heard lots of stories about the Chiswick days and of the Gypsy ways! My nan (Lizzie) would often speak Romany to my dad, and would tell us lots of stories of her family especially her granny Kate and of her uncles and aunts. (Uncle Henry and his horse! :) You speak of John being a very proud man, I think the whole family were and very proud of their roots as am I. Do you know if Bert is still alive? Lizzie had four boys all very musical. Jacqueline is the daughter of Phoebe who is also musical, and you must be the daughter of either John or Jean Stone?
Would love to rootschat more. Thanks so much for replying.

Offline Sandraxx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 February 15 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Just wonder if the Lovells you are talking about we're anything to do with the flower shop in Chiswick high road as my uncle harry Lovell married my dads sister Reenie and uncle Harry's dad owned the flower shop in Chiswick or is it just coincidence uncle Harry was very dark with curly black hair I have a photo of him