Author Topic: BAPTISM & MARRIAGE LOOKUPS - MIDLETON CO CORK Ireland  (Read 59117 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BAPTISM & MARRIAGE LOOKUPS - MIDLETON CO CORK Ireland
« Reply #36 on: Friday 05 April 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello - I obtained the baptism details for John Roche by paying for it off of the Roots Ireland.ie website. The details are Date of Baptism 21 July 1836, Father: Michael Roche, Mother: Not Recorded, Sponsors: John Parker & Mary Bransfield. I was unable to find records for Catherine or Mary Roche or for the Micheal Roche who died in 1842. I only know he died in 1842 from the Family Headstone for Michael, Michael, Catherine and Mary - however no other dates or details are given.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 08 April 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
Baptisms to Michael Roche & Mary Ahern

John 21July 1836, Mick 2Aug 1837, Mary 6March 1841, Catherine 14March 1843, Ellen 8Sept 1844.
Family address at time of baptisms of Mary & Catherine was Mill Road, Midleton.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 08 April 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information this is a huge help and much appreciated.
Would you also know if there is any record of a Marriage in Midleton for Michael Roche & Mary Ahern - I have found a record of a Michael Roche & a Mary Ahern marrying in Castletownroche in 1832 (which would explain a lot as John Roche eventually married a woman from Castletownroche and my family had a lot of connections from there) however I would like to be certain there is no record of a couple in Midleton with the same name.

Thank you again,
Alan

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 08 April 13 16:27 BST (UK) »
Had a look for a marriage but didnt see one to match so your theory of castletownroche may be correct.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Thank you for your help with my last inquiry, I was wondering if you would be able to help me with finding another ancestor from Midleton - I am looking to find information on the parents of my Great Grandmother Catherine Hayes. Catherine married Patrick Roche in Midleton on November 18th, 1894 and the marriage cert states her residence at the time of Marriage was Churchtown, Midleton. Her father was William Hayes a labourer who was deceased at the time of the marriage. in the 1901 census Catherine Roche is listed as 24 and in 1911 she is listed as 36 - so I think she was born sometime between 1875 - 1877. I would like to find a birth cert for Catherine and find out the name of her mother. If possible I would like to find if she had any siblings (I think she had brothers James and David Hayes) and also if it is possible to find a marriage cert for her parents?
Any extra information would be a great help - as the Hayes name is so common I have found it very hard to find the correct records.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 14:38 BST (UK) »
There are no Baptism records in Midleton for Catherine Hayes/Roche or any of her siblings.
No marriage record for William Hayes & wife (Margaret per 1901 census)  This would indicate that the family lived somewhere else prior to taking up residence in Midleton.

There is a baptism for A WILLIAM HAYES in Midleton whether relevant or not.

14 Feb 1847. Parents Pat Hayes & Biddy (Bridget) Crowley, Mill Rd Midleton.
Sponsors Daniel Hayes, Mary Browder. Priest Thomas L Murray.

Marriage record for Catherine Hayes.
18 Nov 1894 Patrick Roche & Kate Hayes. Witnesses Charles Barry & Mary Stanton. Priest J. O Donoghue.

Offline Mary G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 09 May 13 00:14 BST (UK) »
Willing to do lookups for Holy Rosary Church Midleton Co Cork  Ireland ,give as much detail as possible.

Hi,
If you can help with this, I would be truly grateful as this side of the family is proving to be illusive.
I know there were a number of Glavins in the Midleton area. 
I'm not sure if those Glavins are my Glavins, however,  I am looking for Honora Glavin, my gggrandmother.  She married James Scanlon approx. 1860-64.  When they married they lived in Whitechurch, Cork.  Their had 8 children.
There are also Glavins in the Glenville area, but the parish records are missing, so I am trying the different pockets of Glavins in the Cork area.

Thank you, most sincerely.
Scanlon/Glavin/Murphy.
Lehane/Duggan/Leary

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 09 May 13 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary G.  I would like to assist you in your search but unless you had firm evidence that your Honora Glavin married James Scanlon lived in the Midleton area, there wouldnt be any point in checking the church registers.
You say they lived in Whitechurch Co Cork so it more than likely they came from that area. Do you have any other information to go on. Do you have the names of their children/births etc.
Civil Registration in Ireland began in 1864 so unlikely a marriage cert available for them, only church record and you would have to have the location.
Let me know if you come up with any further information. Regards :)

Offline Mary G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 09 May 13 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary G.  I would like to assist you in your search but unless you had firm evidence that your Honora Glavin married James Scanlon lived in the Midleton area, there wouldnt be any point in checking the church registers.
You say they lived in Whitechurch Co Cork so it more than likely they came from that area. Do you have any other information to go on. Do you have the names of their children/births etc.
Civil Registration in Ireland began in 1864 so unlikely a marriage cert available for them, only church record and you would have to have the location.
Let me know if you come up with any further information. Regards :)

Hi,
Thank you for responding to me.

I have no evidence that Honora lived in Midleton.  However, as the surname Glavin is rare and there was a pocket of Glavins living in the Midleton area, I put 2 and 2 together and hoped it would stretch. 
Before marriage, James Scanlon lived in the Dunbullogue area.  There were 2 families of Glavins living in the Glenville area, not far away.  However, the parish records for Glenville are 'lost'.  So I can't check it to see if this is my Honora.

Just in case, Honora did live in Midleton, these are her children
Julia born, 1864,
James Born 1865 - 1902
John born 1869 - 1926
Michael (my grandfather) 1870 - 1946
Denis born, 1872 - 1935
Honnora born 1875 - 1945
Jeremiah born 1877 -
Timothy born 1880 - 1921.
Her children were born in Ryefield, Whitechurch and Carrige-na-Bhfear.
Honora died 1907.

The greatest reason I look towards Midleton is because in the 1901 census there are two families of Scanlons, one in Ballinahina (my family) and the exact same family is recorded as living in Poulnacurry, which is a branch, I believe, of the Midleton Glavins.

thank you for taking the time to read this.  I know it is a long shot, that my Honora came from Midleton. 
With this side of the family, I have hit a wall.
Thank you for any assistance or suggestions.
Mary
Scanlon/Glavin/Murphy.
Lehane/Duggan/Leary