Author Topic: Wylde Family Vault at Worcester St Peter the Great  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
Wylde Family Vault at Worcester St Peter the Great
« on: Monday 04 February 13 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello all!

My line goes back to the Wylde Family of the Commandery.  I always thought that all of the Wyldes had been buried at Worcester Cathedral.  When I saw Worcester I assumed the Cathedral when using Goggle Search. 

Apparently I was wrong....in some of the searches, it was stated St. Peter's.  I thought that St. Peters was actually Worcester Cathedral.  I assumed wrong.

Recently I discovered that indeed there was Worcester St. Peter the Great, but that it was demolished in 1976.  I wondered where all of the remains had gone.  I wrote to a couple of places, but no one has photos of that church or information where all of the remains went.

I wanted to correct my burials on findagrave.com.  If you look up Wylde as a last name England on findagrave, you can see what I had input.  Any ideas on where I can find the St. Peter the Great burial, marriage and baptismal records.  Ancestry.com and Familysearch.org does not have them.  When I looked at the Worcester government site there were paid services but I am interested in doing the work myself.

Thanks for your help. 

How in the world can a church be demolished where a vault with remains in it disappear?  Baffles me. 

Thanks again.

Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Wylde Family Vault at Worcester St Peter the Great
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Looks like there were 2 St Peters the 1st demolished 1835;
http://www.worcestercitymuseums.org.uk/content/oldpics/sidbury/90009p.htm
http://www.worcestercitymuseums.org.uk/content/oldpics/sidbury/90010p.htm

The 2nd c 1836/8 demolished 1976;
http://www.worcestercitymuseums.org.uk/content/oldpics/sidbury/90012p.htm

I did notice on F/S this ref for a Wylde in another St Peters;
Elizabeth WYELD
England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975   
Christening, 16 Jan 1591   SAINT PETER,DROITWICH,WORCESTER,ENGLAND
Parent GEORGE Wyeld
http://www.droitwichparish.org.uk/about/peter.html

No sure if this helps.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 13 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ever so much Trish...

The St Peter I was interested in was demolished in the 1830s.  I wonder what happened to all of the remains.

If I could get into the records from the 1600 1700s I could find who was buried and when...

No one seems to know where all of those bodies in the Wylde Vault went...
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Offline OCrotaigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
The Family History Library has microfilmed the parish registers and the bishop's transcripts. To find the microfilm numbers for the parish registers, look in the FamilySearch Catalog under England, Worcester, Worcester and find St. Peter's mixed in with other parishes for the city of Worcester. The Bishop's Transcripts for Worcester are not filed by parish, but by year for the whole county. Thus, each year's transcripts are on a different microfilm. An FHL finding aid giving FHL film numbers by parish is available as FHL book 942.4 K29bt, also available on microfiche at Family History Centers, fiche 6035756 (2 fiches). See
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Worcester_St_Peter_the_Great,_Worcestershire_Genealogy

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 19:20 BST (UK) »
Has the church placed the digitized copies online or do we have to order the film?  Thanks for the information! 

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
Familysearch stopped allowing film ordering last September as they have run out of microfilm to use for copying.  They have digitised some of the films for Worcester St Peter the Great but they have to be viewed at one of their Family History Centres or affiliate libraries. See https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/206946?availability=Family%20History%20Library.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information. 

I remember visiting the family research center in SLC and I could not make out the handwriting from the 1700s.  I should stop by the family history center locally to see if I could pull up some of those records to determine the hand writing.

Would be lovely to find the Wylde burials there.

You have been very helpful.

Carole