Author Topic: Marriage Records derbyshire  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Cockneygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Records derbyshire
« on: Thursday 07 February 13 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a John gregory who was born in c1795 At Wheeldon trees Farm, Hartington, Derbyshire. I am trying to find his father and mother's marriage. His father's name was William Gregory and I am assuming he was born around 1775, Unfortunately I do not know his wife's name, and I am  trying to find out and when they might have got married.  I know that John Gregory was married to Elizabeth Titterton on 17/02/1823. I would be so grateful for any help with this, there are so many Gregorys in that area and its proving very difficult. Many thanks,   Cockneygirl.
Burt. Haines, Ritchie, Flood etc. etc.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Records derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 February 13 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cockneygirl.......This could be difficult!!.....I have searched a wide range of records and cannot yet find a marriage for WILLIAM GREGORY that fits.there is one in 1794 at St Thomas' Brampton, but I don't like it..........and here's why.......

John Gregory was not baptised at Hartington..he was baptised at Earl Sterndale........baptised 10.10.1796 son of William...of Wheeldon Trees...as was Grace Gregory 10.01.1795..again son of William..again at Wheeldon Trees............BUT a baptism 16.01.1793..of Samuel Gregory again at Wheeldon Trees.........son of WILLIAM and SARAH........must be the same family.............so what happened??? i don't know...YET!!.....there is no burial around that time for Sarah Gregory....

Make of it what you will..

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Cockneygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 13 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thankyou for taking the trouble to help me, I have been looking again today but I  cannot seem to get any further forward with my William's wife, I know the name of Gregory seems quite common in that area, so its hard to actually pinpoint  a definite marriage for him. I have tried looking for a marriage to a Sarah but still no luck.  I really appreciate your help anyway. Kind regards, Cockneygirl.
Burt. Haines, Ritchie, Flood etc. etc.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 13 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I haven't found anything on William and you may already have this but from http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/MIs.html  memorial inscriptions for Earl Sterndale

William son of John/Elizabeth Gregory died 5 Sep 1834 age 1 year 7 months
Agnes daughter of John/Elizabeth Gregory died 24 Mar 1849 aged 6
Sarah daughter of John/Elizabeth Gregory died 28 Jul 1852 aged 22
John Gregory of Stannery died 28 Mar 1868 aged 71
Elizabeth Gregory died 22 Jun 1885 aged 83

Can't see anything for William though, pity!

Shirl

North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cockneygirl.......This could be difficult!!.....I have searched a wide range of records and cannot yet find a marriage for WILLIAM GREGORY that fits.there is one in 1794 at St Thomas' Brampton, but I don't like it..........and here's why.......

John Gregory was not baptised at Hartington..he was baptised at Earl Sterndale........baptised 10.10.1796 son of William...of Wheeldon Trees...as was Grace Gregory 10.01.1795..again son of William..again at Wheeldon Trees............BUT a baptism 16.01.1793..of Samuel Gregory again at Wheeldon Trees.........son of WILLIAM and SARAH........must be the same family.............so what happened??? i don't know...YET!!.....there is no burial around that time for Sarah Gregory....

Make of it what you will..

Derek.
Derek you may have already sorted this but Earl Sterndale Gregorys are connected to Thomas Gregory of Meadow Place Farm, Youlgreave.  Some of the family went back to be buried at Great Longstone. Thomas was buried at Great Longstone also.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 16 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Alex.......are you related to the Gregory family of Youlgreave.........the greatest "brick wall" I have in my own family pertains to the Ann Gregory who married my GGGGrandfather at Ashford in the Water in about 1802.........the marriage entry shows both partners.."of this parish", which,as you may know is often a dead end, because it does not mean, at least in this case, born in the Parish.
Thus i have looked in vain for ANN GREGORY born Derbyshire 1776.I now there is one at Youlgreave, but I think she married some one else............Any ideas?
Derek (Gilchrist) (The family moved to Hull after the death of Ann Gilchrist nee Gregory in 1840
 Thanks a lot for reading this, and if any of my sparring partners have any ideas, then please join in
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 December 16 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Derek I'm not at the moment going to be any help with your hunt for Ann. There are none in my family line but I've not yet explored all the various uncles and aunts so she could be in there, the area is right.

The answer to your...are you related to Gregory of Youlgreave?   is - I believe so.  Thomas Gregory married Hannah (u/k surname) at Bakewell in Oct. 1752.  First recorded child, Richard, born 1754.  Third recorded child William, born 1759.  Hannah died in 1783. Thomas died in 1795.  Thomas remarried, who, where, when U/K.  His Will says "...my loving wife.."  Will written March 1795.  Thomas, Hannah, three infant children and adult son Samuel.

William is a "beneficiary" in Thomas's Will, he got ONE shilling, as did two others.  William Gregory married Sarah(U/K), where and when also unknown. William and Sarah's first child born 1786.  Their sixth and last child, John, was born in 1796. John went on to marry Elizabeth Titterton and they are my GG Grandparents.

I believe Thomas is this William's father because of the following four connections:
1.)  1780 Tax record for Wheeldon Trees Farm, Hartington Middle Quarter, paid by Thomas Gregory.  1786 Tax record for ditto, paid by William Gregory.  2.) William and Sarah's second child, Peter, died aged seven in 1796.  Peter is buried at Great Longstone.  Parish register entry reads  " of Wheeldon Trees ".  3.) Great Longstone Parish Register records  on 11 March 1806 burial of "William Gregory of Hartington"  (Meaning Hartington Middle Quarter) 4.) William and Sarah's fourth child, Samuel, died aged 29 years in 1822. The Great Longstone Parish Register entry states " Samuel Gregory, son of William, age 30, late of Wheeldon, Crowdecote"

My brick wall is to nail down Thomas's parents, I have suspects but I can't get any firm evidence at the moment. Then, I want to find out about Thomas's second wife, can't find anything at all on that.